Official Message Boards of the Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc.

Warbands

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.

Re: Warbands

Postby Saris Fey-Branche » 2012-01-29

I am completely in favor of Thrush's pro-rp argument that Warbands should be included for anyone who simply wants to play as a small group of warriors rather than a country.

That said, I will vote against this proposal unless the minimum required is increased to 4 rather than 3. I support any addition which enriches the roleplay aspect of Darkon, but those wishing to form warbands should accept that they will be held to the same expectations.

I understand this inconviences EoG and FO/King's Guard. Find one more dude. It isn't that hard. Seriously, just get Melkor(or someone else as applicable) and another old head Mordomian to show up for -one- event and you're golden for the next five.
Chosen Blood Officer
Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-01-29

Saris Fey-Branche wrote:I am completely in favor of Thrush's pro-rp argument that Warbands should be included for anyone who simply wants to play as a small group of warriors rather than a country.

That said, I will vote against this proposal unless the minimum required is increased to 4 rather than 3. I support any addition which enriches the roleplay aspect of Darkon, but those wishing to form warbands should accept that they will be held to the same expectations.

I understand this inconviences EoG and FO/King's Guard. Find one more dude. It isn't that hard. Seriously, just get Melkor(or someone else as applicable) and another old head Mordomian to show up for -one- event and you're golden for the next five.

The compromise was they get only one Senator.

4 people = 2 Senators.
3 people = 1 Senator.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby fingers630 » 2012-01-30

And the fact that they get 1 hex as opposed to 13.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Postby Alzarahn » 2012-01-30

After the last event I talked to a few of the people planning to form a warband. Really what they want is the right to wear colors, carry a banner, a unifying symbol, and the right to fight as a unit. I submit that Darkon should change it's Nomad rules to allow these things to Nomads. Most of these people couldn't give a rat's ass about the land map or having senate representation.
Alzarahn
Darkonian

Postby Ogre Solaris » 2012-01-30

Alzarahn wrote:After the last event I talked to a few of the people planning to form a warband. Really what they want is the right to wear colors, carry a banner, a unifying symbol, and the right to fight as a unit. I submit that Darkon should change it's Nomad rules to allow these things to Nomads. Most of these people couldn't give a rat's ass about the land map or having senate representation.

I don't think this is as clear cut as most of the people not caring about senate or the map. You are talking about forming groups akin to a country but not allowing them representation in senate. NOT ALLOWING. If people truly don't care, they don't have to attend, but they should be given the option to.

I do agree mostly though, the whole idea of warband seems like overkill if a group of nomads just want to dress and fight as a team. It seems easier to just make that rule change to allow nomads to wear a common livery and still be nomads, but then we have all these people affected by senate but with no way to affect senate's decisions.

If you give them senators and they don't use them, that's on them. If the club doesn't give them senators, that's the club's fault. The former is a preferable situation I think.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris
Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-01-30

Alzarahn wrote:After the last event I talked to a few of the people planning to form a warband. Really what they want is the right to wear colors, carry a banner, a unifying symbol, and the right to fight as a unit. I submit that Darkon should change it's Nomad rules to allow these things to Nomads. Most of these people couldn't give a rat's ass about the land map or having senate representation.

And those that do care would NEVER allow it. Again, this proposal is the compromise.

Warbands MUST be on the land map per the countries that care (most of them)
Warbands only get 1 Senator, because they are smaller and only get 1 hex with reduces structures.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby ylinett » 2012-01-30

If you don't care about Senate then come but abstain. We still have to make quorum for the game to function.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS
ylinett
Darkonian

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-01-30

Saris, you have always attempted to push RP in Darkon, and it's awesome to hear you are on board for the most part. As the Prez said, the 3 member, 1 hex, 1 Senator thing is a compromise to all factions. It would be sad to lose your voice specifically, over something so small as one surcoat...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven
Order of the Mask 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-02-08

I will be bringing an updated proposal to the next Senate meeting. This update will be the same in effect but I am re-writing it to move some of the information into the Land Rules only instead of having the same information in two sections.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-02-27

Much gnashing of teeth in Senate over this.

I updated the proposal and fixed the various editorial mistakes made. I addressed Snudges point regarding Warbands unable to 'invade' their own capitol. Several Senators came to me after the meeting and suggested we simply make a change to the rules for forming a new country, it is the simple addition of two words to the land rules. It would look like this:

In addition to the rules set forth in Chapter Two, each new Country is granted 13 hexes of land, one of which is designated the Capital.

To:
In addition to the rules set forth in Chapter Two, each new Country is granted up to 13 hexes of land, one of which is designated the Capital.

This does NOT change the proposal in regards to the changes to the entries for countries, nomads, etc. Those still need to be addressed even if Senate goes for this alternative.

John
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-27

Also, why do certain people in Senate have to be giant disrespectful dickholes? That gets so much done... But at least they are consistent and are always disrespectful dickholes... Just wish they didn't come to Senate. At least most of Darkon wants to get things done.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven
Order of the Stag
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby fingers630 » 2012-02-27

I believe you meant "penisholes".

And I think you answered your question. Youve heard the expression "some people just want to watch the world burn". Well somepeople, no matter what, are just *&^holes, and always will be.

Postby Lord Valfryn » 2012-02-27

Can we institute a yellowcard/redcard system for senate? Booyah... if you wanna stick around and vote, dont get ejected!
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

True, this whole suddenly having to watch my language on the Darkon boards thing is having to deal with 12 years of programming... I say F*** a lot in person too... So I don't really get it. But I will I'm sure...

But yeah, there's some way bigger @$$holes than me in Darkon, and I didn't really think that was possible... It just gets re affirmed regularly lately.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven
Order of the Stag
Thrush Svartehjertet

Lord Valfryn wrote:Can we institute a yellowcard/redcard system for senate? Booyah... if you wanna stick around and vote, dont get ejected!

Phenominal... At Andrick's discretion, if he thinks your being a penishole, he can card you.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven
Order of the Stag
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby Lord Valfryn » 2012-02-27

From my understanding, cussing on the boards is fine, just don't self censor. That way the integrated profanity filter can mod your post for all the SFW crowd.
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-02-27

Lord Valfryn wrote:From my understanding, cussing on the boards is fine, just don't self censor. That way the integrated profanity filter can mod your post for all the SFW crowd.

Exactly - just posted something about that in the general section.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Nope, been warned about cussing... Or maybe it was cussing at people... I don't know anymore.. I'm a very simple creature. I use profanity.... well.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven
Order of the Stag
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby Taggart MacBannion » 2012-02-27

Thrush Simple Man. Thrush Tiger No Understand Fancy Man.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard
Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Nope, been warned about cussing... Or maybe it was cussing at people... I don't know anymore.. I'm a very simple creature. I use profanity.... well.

Thrush
berserk

HAHA I received the same warning. I assumed it came from El Presidente, maybe it was just an automated response for self censoring. See Thrush, you try to be good and you get busted!

I have the utmost faith that should someone continue to be a nuisance in Senate, the good Baron will kindly introduce his foot to their arse.

Postby Prince Andrick » 2012-02-27

Um, I haven't been a Baron in years, its Duke. But yeah foot in ass will happen.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013
Prince Andrick
President

I meant the other Baron. Um. Androck... <shifty eyes>

Postby Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-09-19

Bump.
What Senate need for this to change for it to go through?
This is a big chance to let people who want to have MINOR affects on the land map have fun, RP and beat ass.

BRING THIS BACK THRUSH.

Asaheim will cosign.
Sir Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, CC
Knight of the Realm
The Black Raven of Asaheim
Warden and Warhound of Asaheim
Justicar and Forseti Domari of the Ministry of Grudges

"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms
Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-09-20

Ok, before I get on a plane today for Prague, I will make a list of what I want, then ya'll can add to/subtract from it, and when I get back next week, I'll see what happened.

Warbands (as Thrush envisions them)

-minimum 3 members (if you field 4 or more you must follow Eldering requirements)
-allowed to wear colors/symbols and have banners
-1 senate vote
-1 invisible capital hex with a Keep, this will be the "hideout"
(if "found" by a Ranger (this needs fleshing out, some sort of landsearch?) and a country defeats the Keep by normal Darkon war rules, they get the coffers and the Warband must re-declare (how about next season as a form of assassination of the Warband so they can't make money in coffers?)
-normal functioning country coffers kept in said Keep
-no expansion on map (if you invade a country's hex, you can win the fight, but get nothing but lootable items)
-may own 1 medium ship (normal rules) which may contain the coffers, but this must be built.
-1 time a year (every other season), the coffers can be loaded on the ship and the Warband can travel to another hex and landsearch to move their "hideout". A failed landsearch leaves the coffers on the boat, and the "hideout" hex does not move, but the coffers must be brought back to the "hideout" successfully by normal Darkon ship rules. This makes an attempted move of your hideout very risky if you care about money.

Discuss, I'll add more if I think about it... As you can see, I am trying to make it very possible to give a group of thieves something epic to do, but this can also be used just as a way for players to play together who do not want anything else to do other than fight. This has zero to unlimited role play potential. Pirates, brigands, stick jocks... all possibilities...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven
Order of the Stag
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby TitusV » 2012-09-20

Ummm what's there not to like? I think it's an epic idea.

What happens if a war band invades a hex and the country decides to not field? Does it then revert to unclaimed land once the warband leaves?
TitusV
Darkonian

PreviousNext

Return to Proposal Discussion