Costuming

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Costuming

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-10

Darkon is a live action, role-playing game, also known as a LARP, featuring full-contact, medieval style combat with foam‐padded weapons. -- Page 14 Darkon Rulebook

Proposal: Costuming

This proposal:
Clearly defines the desired look of the Darkon Wargaming Club.
Reinforces that Elders will enforce this rule via expulsion from the field.

Remove all references to costume requirements and replace with:

Costuming for Darkon should be inspired by pre-industrial historical clothing or fantasy genre clothing. A simple costume could consist of a tunic style shirt with pants/kilt/skirts and medievalesqe or historical footwear; the outfit must give the impression of being inspired by pre-industrial historical or fantasy genre clothing. Hoods, mantles, capes, belts - white belts are reserved to characters that are Knights of the Realm, and pouches can all be worn to add to a costume’s appearance. Armor does count as costuming; however when the armor is removed while still participating at the event, proper costuming must be worn.

20th/21st century contemporary clothing, modern looking, steam punk, and any sci-fi/futuristic costuming are strictly prohibited; examples include cargo pants, jeans, shorts, camouflage clothing or any type of "bicycle" (spandex/Lycra) shorts. Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming. Athletic clothing used for warmth or wicking properties may be worn but their appearance must be minimized within a costume.

Personal ‘mundane’ items such as sun glasses, watches, radios, cell phones, etc. are not permitted and should be kept hidden away in pouches or otherwise out of sight. In all cases where modern logos are present on any item worn (including safety equipment and shoes) those logos must be removed, painted over so the logo is not to be able to be seen or covered so the logo is not visible at any time and in a way that does not detract from the appearance. Modern footwear may be worn but must be solid black or brown, historical footwear may be of any color.

The Costume Marshal will inspect the costuming of all players as they check-in, and Elders will enforce the costuming rules during game-play. If at any time a player is found to be not in appropriate garb, they will be required to play with only a single handed sword/club/bar; if they are already participating, they will be made to fight with a single handed sword/bar/club until such time as they have on appropriate costuming.

The Costume Marshal will inspect the costuming of all players as they check-in and can refuse to let a player participate if the player is not new and has made no attempt at wearing appropriate garb, and Elders will enforce the costuming rules during game-play. If at any time a player is found to be not in appropriate garb but is allowed to fight, they will be required to play with only a single handed sword/club/bar; if they are already participating, they will be made to sit out until such time as they have on appropriate costuming.

Discussion points:

Darkon has prided itself on being an inexpensive club and as such it is impossible to avoid modern footwear. The previous legging rules existed to cover laces on modern footwear since it was thought it was not period to have laces. Since then we know that having or not having laces is a non-issue historically and Darkon is not concerned with a ‘period’ other than pre-industrial in any way.

Reserving the white belt for knights of the realm allows for the option of Darkon knights to wear the belt as a distinction from their retinues while not allowing knights from other games to wear them and distinct themselves from the unit they with which they are fielding.

Darkon does seek to provide some sort of immersive escape from the modern world. As such costuming aids in the visuals of that escapist experience and modern items such as sunglass, shorts, Under Armour and cargo pants break that visual.

When it comes to modern shoes it really is the cut of the shoe that gives it away, boots work better to maintain the visual but some prefer low footwear. When wearing modern shoes it doesn’t break the visual as much if the shoes are a solid black or brown and the pants come to the top of the shoes. While not hidden or disguised they are less noticeable on the field. Everything ‘wrong’ stands out in photo’s but that is less of an issue.
Last edited by Lord Dubh on 2012-01-17, edited 5 times in total.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Re: Costuming

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-10

I will be posting to the Magistrate on the 17th so please let me know if there is still something of a concern.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-01-10

What is wrong with under armor if the logos are removed? They are just tights or a tight shirt at that point.

The reason I'm pointing this out is because I wear a purple under armor shirt in the summer underneath my breast plate. This helps me regulate my body temperature. Seriously it works. I would like to keep able to do this. In the summer I wear my full armor until I leave a day event. This helps me do that. I pretty much view it as safety equipment in the summer. I don't think seeing purple under armor protruding from the sides detracts from the atmosphere. Wearing under armor underneath a tunic defeats the purpose.

As far as costuming goes. My logos being removed, what is the difference between me wearing under armor or a really tight tunic.

Another point. Why should armor not be considered costume? If I do not take it off what is the problem? If I take it off and I am wearing ungarbworthy (TM) clothes then I need to fix that before I continue participating. Why is this so hard?

In general I think we should promote the wearing of all armor. Also, I think we should promote wearing armor as the outer layer because I believe it looks cool and adds to the atmosphere. Requiring extra layers will cause people to not wear armor in the heat.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-01-10

The only thing outside of previous discussions and what is noted above is the following:

"The Costume Marshal will inspect the costuming of all players as they check-in, and Elders will enforce the costuming rules during game-play. If at any time a player is found to be not in appropriate garb, they will be required to play with only a single handed sword/club/bar; if they are already participating, they will be made to fight with a single handed sword/bar/club until such time as they have on appropriate costuming."

There is no wording here that states that a costume marshal can refuse to let the player field. I would address it as such...

The Costume Marshal will inspect the costuming of all players as they check-in and can refuse to let a player participate if the player is not new and has made no attempt at wearing appropriate garb, and Elders will enforce the costuming rules during game-play. If at any time a player is found to be not in appropriate garb but is allowed to fight, they will be required to play with only a single handed sword/club/bar; if they are already participating, they will be made to fight with a single handed sword/bar/club until such time as they have on appropriate costuming.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-01-10

I have to say I don't like that part at all. If at anytime you are not in appropriate garb, as determined by a costume marshal, elder or noble (as default elders) you should not be allowed to play, period. You wouldn't expect a baseball player who took off his uniform and was in a t-shirt to be told he could keep playing but has to bat 1 handed. No costume, no play.

I also agree with the costume under armor is a bit of overkill. Stating that if armor is removed the player must be in or put on appropriate garb would be better. So in Titus's example, if he did take his armor off he would have to put on a tunic or something before he could continue to fight. It's not like he is going to take off his armor in the middle of a fight where he could not take the time to put something else on.

Lastly, the white belt thing. What about good cavaliers? I know they have to be a noble to be one, but currently white belt = good cavalier. This could.cause confusion. Is there another color belt we could use? Maybe red? Or green?
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Baroness Keira
Knight of the Realm

Post by Baroness Keira » 2012-01-11

I agree with Duke Andric. I think that players who are not appropriately garbed should not be allowed to play at all. No one-weapon-noob-style exception, just benched. Allowing any out of costume participation promotes rule abuse.

If a player removes their armor, they should still be in costume to participate. It takes 2 seconds to throw on a tunic over your Underarmor or tank or whatever. Out of armor, everyone in play should be wearing a period appropriate costume.

White belts/sashes should continue to be reserved to good cavaliers. I see no point in extending this to the entirety of the NC.

I really hate allowing modern shoes, passionately. I think that I am in the minority there though.
Baroness Keira al'Lathandre, Baroness Von Garren
Queen Consort of Sarum
Crown Princess of Accolon
Foreign Minister of the Northern Kingdoms
High Priestess of The Raven
Knight of the Realm of Darkon

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-11

The rules are cavaliers state white SASHES. A sash is NOT a belt, it is a sash.

I agree with the armor part as well, who cares what you have on beneath it so long as when you take it off you are wearing appropriate garb.

As far as gimping people who are not in approved clothing. This was put in because we have new people show up that do not have any costuming because they read about us on the internet and had no idea what to do. So they show up and we don't have anything to fit them from anyone's trunk. To facilitate they still join we allow them to fight with a single handed weapon. We extended it to the folks who arrive in garb but take it off as a punishment but I have no issue telling them to sit down until they put garb back on.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-11

Updated the OP.

I left in the gimping players who remove costuming for now, I am working on the wording of that section.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-01-11

I understand sash versus belt, but a lot of people may not and/or will still be confused by it. I don't really have a problem with having something that all nobles can wear for identification purposes, but I'd just like to see something easily distinguished from the symbol of an existing class. And I'd never wear a white belt. (Shameless personal preference).
I'd rather see the garb line add an exception for new players (players with less then 5 events are exempt from the costuming rules but should still make an effort to be in garb. They will be required to be in costume by their 5th event). I know you can't tell on the field who has less then 5 events, but I'd rather that then have lazy vets expect to fight in jeans cuz they like fighting single weapon or they are just lazy. Strict is better then slack in this case.
High Priest of Thor
Field Marshal
President 2013

Xunyl
Darkonian

Post by Xunyl » 2012-01-12

I'm completely on-board for holding the players to higher level of costuming.

Along with the single 1-handed weapon rule, I would also suggest that the player be considered armor-less and class-less until they fix their garb. While repeat offenders will lose their class credit for that day.

When it comes to under armor or any other colored shirt so long as it is used to accent the costume and isn't immediately apparent that the player isn't just wearing a modern shirt it should be acceptable. Say for example if someone wore a tabard over their purple Under Armor shirt, it would not look out of place for fantasy to have the short purple sleeves poking out from beneath it.

I would also suggest adding in an exemption for cuts of clothing that are used. So that if the items accents or lends itself to the theme and look of the costume it could be deemed acceptable. (Assuming the costume as a whole does not violate the theme rules.) A personal example of this is that I wear a high collar black leather jacket beneath my plate armor during the winter months. (Completely free of any type of labels and such.) With the current wording of the proposed rule a Costume Marshal could consider that collar to be a piece of exposed modern contemporary clothing because of the collar style and thus a violation.

As much as I hate to add in a grey area I'd suggest something of a distance rule, say for example a 5-foot rule. That being if your equipment and garb is in theme, looks good and not blatantly in violation of the costuming rules the player can be granted admittance.

Something like that would still catch people trying to bring blue jeans to the field. (Blatantly modern clothing.) Without being a determent to those following the theme of fantasy immersion (Purple sleeves from under armor/tabard.)
Chosen Blood soldier.

We are beyond the notions of; good, evil, light or darkness.
There is only order, pure and absolute.

For The Order.
http://www.wix.com/chosenblood/dwc

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-12

Duke Andrick wrote:I understand sash versus belt, but a lot of people may not and/or will still be confused by it. I don't really have a problem with having something that all nobles can wear for identification purposes, but I'd just like to see something easily distinguished from the symbol of an existing class. And I'd never wear a white belt. (Shameless personal preference).
I'd rather see the garb line add an exception for new players (players with less then 5 events are exempt from the costuming rules but should still make an effort to be in garb. They will be required to be in costume by their 5th event). I know you can't tell on the field who has less then 5 events, but I'd rather that then have lazy vets expect to fight in jeans cuz they like fighting single weapon or they are just lazy. Strict is better then slack in this case.

Tim,

Problem is, some of us who are not Cavaliers DO wear a white belt and that number will increase organically. Well, that and I have gifts for a few Knights. I am all for trying to cater to the lowest common denominator, but not being able to tell the difference between a white belt and a white sash...that's is even too low for me to be concerned with.

No reason we can't add "make an effort" even for new people.

Xunyl wrote:
Along with the single 1-handed weapon rule, I would also suggest that the player be considered armor-less and class-less until they fix their garb. While repeat offenders will lose their class credit for that day.

When it comes to under armor or any other colored shirt so long as it is used to accent the costume and isn't immediately apparent that the player isn't just wearing a modern shirt it should be acceptable. Say for example if someone wore a tabard over their purple Under Armor shirt, it would not look out of place for fantasy to have the short purple sleeves poking out from beneath it.

I would also suggest adding in an exemption for cuts of clothing that are used. So that if the items accents or lends itself to the theme and look of the costume it could be deemed acceptable. (Assuming the costume as a whole does not violate the theme rules.) A personal example of this is that I wear a high collar black leather jacket beneath my plate armor during the winter months. (Completely free of any type of labels and such.) With the current wording of the proposed rule a Costume Marshal could consider that collar to be a piece of exposed modern contemporary clothing because of the collar style and thus a violation.

As much as I hate to add in a grey area I'd suggest something of a distance rule, say for example a 5-foot rule. That being if your equipment and garb is in theme, looks good and not blatantly in violation of the costuming rules the player can be granted admittance.

Something like that would still catch people trying to bring blue jeans to the field. (Blatantly modern clothing.) Without being a determent to those following the theme of fantasy immersion (Purple sleeves from under armor/tabard.)

I am really unsure about the 5 foot rule. Grey areas like that cause arguments and confusion. If something does not pass upon inspection, then it should not pass at 5 feet.

Everything else you mention is good. But at this point I really feel we are getting into the details that should be left to the Costume Marshals and Elders. We do have enough checks in place in our club to prevent complete jerks from preventing people from playing for thinks like coat collars sticking outside of armour during the winter.

Not rejecting your suggestions, still reviewing but wanted to provide some feedback.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-01-12

But ya still didn't address the fact that I hate white belts! Down with whitee!
High Priest of Thor
Field Marshal
President 2013

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Duke Andrick wrote:But ya still didn't address the fact that I hate white belts! Down with whitee!

Racist! :lol:
Master Thief of Darkon

____

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-01-12

Ok I am still on the under armor thing. Sorry to keep beating this dead horse... Lets blame Fingers.... He would have cast animate dead on a dead horse anyway....

I do not think we should specifically name brands in the rules. What is it that people do not like about Under Armor. That is what we must target. Is its that its made from stretchy fabric?? If that is the case then that is what should be written. However, now we are getting into what is acceptable fabric.... which I do not want to go down that path.

"Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads or Under Armour, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming. Personal ‘mundane’ items such as sun glasses, watches, radios, cell phones, etc. are not permitted and should be kept hidden away in pouches or otherwise out of sight."

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

TitusV wrote:Ok I am still on the under armor thing. Sorry to keep beating this dead horse... Lets blame Fingers.... He would have cast animate dead on a dead horse anyway....

I do not think we should specifically name brands in the rules. What is it that people do not like about Under Armor. That is what we must target. Is its that its made from stretchy fabric?? If that is the case then that is what should be written. However, now we are getting into what is acceptable fabric.... which I do not want to go down that path.

"Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads or Under Armour, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming. Personal ‘mundane’ items such as sun glasses, watches, radios, cell phones, etc. are not permitted and should be kept hidden away in pouches or otherwise out of sight."

Well...you're not wrong. We should NOT name brands. It is the fabric but I agree we don't need to name fabrics. I am sure someone could make an awesome outfit out of lycra and spandex.

So what is what Under Armour manufactures called??? I am sure that kind of athletic gear has a generic name we can use.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Xunyl
Darkonian

Post by Xunyl » 2012-01-12

Lord Dubh wrote:
Duke Andrick wrote: I am really unsure about the 5 foot rule. Grey areas like that cause arguments and confusion. If something does not pass upon inspection, then it should not pass at 5 feet.

Everything else you mention is good. But at this point I really feel we are getting into the details that should be left to the Costume Marshals and Elders. We do have enough checks in place in our club to prevent complete * from preventing people from playing for thinks like coat collars sticking outside of armour during the winter.

Not rejecting your suggestions, still reviewing but wanted to provide some feedback.

It's no problem at all and thank you for the feedback! I only hope that my opinion can be a contribution to the club as a whole. I only suggested the distance rule to help weed out those that would use rules lawyering in order to justify their garb. (Plus if it looks good at 5 feet it'll also look good at camera distance. ^_- )

TitusV wrote:I do not think we should specifically name brands in the rules. What is it that people do not like about Under Armor. That is what we must target. Is its that its made from stretchy fabric?? If that is the case then that is what should be written. However, now we are getting into what is acceptable fabric.... which I do not want to go down that path.
[/quote]

Not to reiterate but, that's why I feel that instead of banning a particular fabric/cut we could put in a stipulation that allows for articles of clothing that accents or lends itself to the over-all look and theme of the costume so long as the outfit does not as a whole violate the fantasy theme rules. Like with the Under Armor, fighting in just the shirt the player looks like someone wearing Under Armor it would be no different than taking to the field in just a T-shirt. However, if one was to wear a purple Under Armor shirt beneath a wrapped tunic, Karate-Gi, etc I could see that as a monk or lightly armored warrior and relate it to acceptable fantasy. However making that Gi completely out of the Under Armor material or spandex would not present the look the costume rule is trying to accomplish.

It might seem to be nit-picky but I would like to help contribute in any way so that creative costuming in encouraged while dissuading others from trying to take advantage of such leeway.
Chosen Blood soldier.

We are beyond the notions of; good, evil, light or darkness.
There is only order, pure and absolute.

For The Order.
http://www.wix.com/chosenblood/dwc

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-01-12

Costuming for Darkon should be inspired by pre-industrial historical clothing or fantasy genre clothing. A simple costume could consist of a tunic style shirt with pants/kilt/skirts and medievalesqe or historical footwear; the outfit must give the impression of being inspired by pre-industrial historical or fantasy genre clothing. Hoods, mantles, capes, belts - white belts are reserved to characters that are Knights of the Realm, and pouches can all be worn to add to a costume’s appearance. Armor does count as costuming; however when the armor is removed while still participating at the event, proper costuming must be worn.

This is great. Thanks for editing the line to allow armor to be considered costume.

20th/21st century contemporary clothing, modern looking, steam punk, and any sci-fi/futuristic costuming are strictly prohibited; examples include cargo pants, jeans, shorts, camouflage clothing or any type of "bicycle" (spandex/Lycra) shorts.

Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads or Under Armour, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming.

Personal ‘mundane’ items such as sun glasses, watches, radios, cell phones, etc. are not permitted and should be kept hidden away in pouches or otherwise out of sight. In all cases where modern logos are present on any item worn (including safety equipment and shoes) those logos must be removed, painted over so the logo is not to be able to be seen or covered so the logo is not visible at any time and in a way that does not detract from the appearance. Modern footwear may be worn but must be solid black or brown, historical footwear may be of any color.

How about changing the sentence that is bold in the quoted paragraph above to the following:
Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads, or athletic clothing used for warmth or wicking properties may be worn but their appearance must be minimized within a costume.

I believe this gives us leeway in using athletic clothing for their beneficial properties but prevents me from showing up in head to toe under armor.

We can also go down this route.
Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming. Obviously modern fabrics used in athletic apparel such as lycra, spandex, and polyester may be used but their appearance must be minimized within a costume.

I looked up under armor and its a finely woven polyester. I also intentionally used the word minimized because it allows the costume martial discretion.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Fantastic!!

I will rework the original post with these suggestions.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-01-13

question what do others think of gold for the noble sash or belt? in this way it is a easily seen color that is different then any class colors or other group colors... and historically it is for "gold for cavalry" and we are supposed to be knights :)

does anyone have a issue with wearing a gold belt... be it metal or cloth?
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-01-13

I think rather than pre-industrial, it should be pre-colonial, for several reasons, although I am not sure if "pre-colonial" is the exact term to use.

Cowboys and Redcoats are pre-industrial. They wouldn't lend well to Darkon costuming. You don't want to see me in a powdered wig, or Bendore in his Amish hat, or anyone in a pilgrim outfit.

Also, using something other than pre-industrial rather nips the steampunk thing in the bud without having to put the term "steam punk" into our rulebook.

And last, I don't like the connotation of the phrase "pre-industrial" as it suggests anything lacking technology is ok. Ancient Rome had some crazy tech 2,000 years ago, and the No Quarter gear symbol perfectly fits into Darkon, as examples.

-Caetrel
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-13

Believe it or not, when this went to Senate the first time they specificly requested "pre-industrial' be the term used.

Pat - cloth would be a sash, while a belt can be metal or leather. I like the 'out-of-the-box' thinking...thought I just purchased a bunch of white belts for gifts :P That is not a reason to consider something else. Someone also suggested purple....

Not sure how I feel about it. I like the idea of people from other clubs that use white belts would recognize our people. It would tell the immediately who to talk to.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

I thought about it more.

I disagree with the metal and cloth part. I have no issue with a yellow leather belt though, I would wear it to denote being a Knight.

It is also important to remember we are talking about reserving, not making it a requirement for Knights to wear.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Ok. Updated.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-01-13

Looks great. I don't have any more comments.

Katzia

Post by Katzia » 2012-01-14

Most new players come out with a country and it should be the country responsibility to ensure they are garb with the minimum to play. I know that we at least tell them to wear sweat pants and I had made some inexpensive t- tunics to toss onto them if they decide to come out. There not expensive to make and often 5.00 a tunic if you use a joann fabric coupon to buy fabric. Just a suggestion. If I make some more I'll bring them and people are more then welcome to use them.