Costuming

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Re: Costuming

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-01-14

I still do not like the part about allowing people to play with a single handed weapon if they are out of garb. There is no reason for it other then being a new player. Am I in the minority here? Do other people think we should allow vets to fight without proper garb?
I realize you say elders can refuse to allow someone to play, but I think the inclusion of the one handed weapon rule will create unnecessary problems. Joe Vet "what do you mean I can't fight in shorts and a t-shirt. The rules say as long as I am just using a single handed weapon I can". I just see this exception encouraging extremely poor costumes (especially in the summer months) and arguments with elders.
If you insist on keeping it in, add to it "may be allowed to fight at the elders discretion". Although again, I very strongly believe it should just be removed completely.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-14

No problem. I can remove the allowing of Vets to play out of garb.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Lord Dritz Orlfson
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dritz Orlfson » 2012-01-14

The generic term for Under Armour is performance doubleknits.
Lord Dritz Orlffson

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-01-15

Per many discussions here and in other places I wish to point out some things reguarding what the definition of a sash is.

I might suggest that the costume marshals are made aware of the sash issue if we want to call it that. For years I have been told I must wear a white "belt" and that is what I have done - I have both a cloth "belt" and a leather belt given to me by the king of our organization at the time :) that being said I believe that 99% of the costume marshals would let any Caviler check in wearing a belt of the color of our rules currently. So what that means is they should be made aware of this difference so that going into the future it is clear what is expected. By specifically making a difference between the two then it really does not matter what color the Noble option color for wearing a leather belt (in addition to a sash) becomes. Some people believe a side livery 1'x1' is a sash but by definition it is not but rather the belt holding the livery is actually a sash by definition.

just for clarification

websters ...sash

"a band worn about the waist or over one shoulder and used as a dress accessory or the emblem of an honorary or military order"

websters band...

"Definition of BAND

: something that confines or constricts while allowing a degree of movement

: something that binds or restrains legally, morally, or spiritually

: a strip serving to join or hold things together: as a : belt 2 b : a cord or strip across the back of a book to which the sections are sewn

: a thin flat encircling strip: as a : a close-fitting strip that confines material at the waist, neck, or cuff of clothing b : a strip of cloth used to protect a newborn baby's navel —called also bellyband c : a ring of elastic

a : a strip (as of living tissue or rock) or a stripe (as on an animal) differentiable (as by color, texture, or structure) from the adjacent material or area b : a more or less well-defined range of wavelengths, frequencies, or energies c : range 7a

: a narrow strip serving chiefly as decoration: as a : a narrow strip of material applied as trimming to an article of dress b plural : a pair of strips hanging at the front of the neck as part of a clerical, legal, or academic dress c : a ring without raised portions"

so really according to the dictionary a belt can be a band and a band can be a sash if it is around the waist if it is flexible, something that confines or constricts while allowing a degree of movement and it even in the definition it states the belt can be a band and so it is legally within the rights of any costume marshal to rule that a leather belt is a sash from the legal definition.

Laying this aside for a minute yes we can require sashes to be solely made of cloth ONLY if we wish - but if we do this we should make it clear in its wording because a sash by definition is also a belt be it leather or cloth.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-01-15

I have always assumed that "sashes" implied cloth, so changing the wording of their requirements to reflect this is a good move.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-16

Pat,

You and I are going to disagree on the composition of a sash issue, but it is moot. The rule should be clear that a sash us made of fabric. I can easily make this a clarification and send it to Senate immediately if you wish. It would be a change to the Cavalier description.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-01-16

If you wish to have the sash be only made of cloth that sounds like the path that should be taken - I do not care either way and will adhire to what ever is chosen but it needs to be clarified if you are going to not allow a leather belt to be a sash, because of the definitation of "sash" they are in fact the same.

Thank you.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-01-17

I always think of a sash as "a cloth sash worn over one shoulder". Just make the rule as clear as we need it to be.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-17

Kobalos wrote:I always think of a sash as "a cloth sash worn over one shoulder". Just make the rule as clear as we need it to be.

I wouldn't go that far. I would just add the word 'cloth' to the current Cavalier description.

John
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-17

Please co-sign.
Master Thief of Darkon