Armor Changes - Inox

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Ericson
Darkonian

Re: Armor Changes - Inox

Post by Ericson » 2012-04-19

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:The biggest opposition to this last time it was brought up was by vets saying they were pretty sure they couldn't effectively learn a new hit system.

If that was their argument, then I fully expect every one of those "vets" to be surfing these boards with their AOL 3.0 dial-up internet on a Windows 3.1 computer. Don't forget the antenna to receive their 5 local channels and VHS player (with a few Betas lying around) to sing along to the intro of "Top Gun". Because it would be terrible to learn to use something new that makes things easier!

Change can be good, especially when it comes to the gross and nasty hit system Darkon has.

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-04-19

Owwww snap, you vets just got told. He done brought out the AOL dis...

I think it this thread is done with its point, tell your senator how feel and let's vote on it.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-04-19

Ericson wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:The biggest opposition to this last time it was brought up was by vets saying they were pretty sure they couldn't effectively learn a new hit system.

to sing along to the intro of "Top Gun".

HEY, THERE ARE FEW THINGS IN THIS WORLD THAT ARE SACRED, AND TOP GUN IS ONE OF THEM. DON'T DIS THE TOP GUN.

*Puts on his aviators*

I'm out.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-04-19

That's twice! I want some butts!

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2012-04-19

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:HEY, THERE ARE FEW THINGS IN THIS WORLD THAT ARE SACRED, AND TOP GUN IS ONE OF THEM. DON'T DIS THE TOP GUN.

*Puts on his aviators*

I'm out.

I think that's in the Bro Code, my bad. Time to shame myself by watching Bridget Jones' Diary :(

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-04-20

Or spend at least two hours playing volleyball, shirtless with no less than five other men, who are also shirtless.

President

Post by President » 2012-08-15

This simplification leaves out a lot of stuff currently in the rules so I am unsure what it is suppose to replace.

If passed there are major changes to Chapter 3 (and a section of Chapter 4) that have to be made. The EB can make the changes for you if you wish but I strongly suggest someone take Chapter 3 and re-work it using this proposal and have it all go through at the same time.

I love this proposal, but I don't want to see the rulebook screwed up after spending a year trying to fix it.

President

Post by President » 2012-09-11

No comments to my statement? Really?

We will be play testing this hit/armor system at the following events.

October 7
November 4

Armbands will be required - remove ORANGE from the list of options.

President

Post by President » 2012-09-15

The following events we will be using hit system proposed by Inox.

October 7, 2012 Burtonsville Elders Choice
October 19-21, 2012 Reunion Farm Campout*
November 4, 2012 Redland Elders Choice

And if it passes Senate and we pass it "play test" it for the rest of the year.

Here is what is being playtested - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=201

Armband rules under this system are:

AC1 - Blue Armbad
AC 2- Green Armbad
Ac 3- Red Armband
AC 4 - Yellow Armband

Soul Lo Wartorn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Soul Lo Wartorn » 2012-09-17

Let me say that this is a great looking system i love it!!! simple and to the point!!!!
BBUUUUTTTTT!!!!! with this change we have just made Assassins, Thieves, and Rangers more powerful!!! they can now take one less hit than a fighter in plate. Now how can this be you say!!!! its easy,
At 6th level "A Thief will not gain any of the abilities of another character type he may be disguised as. However, the Disguise skill does allow the Thief to exceed the armor and shield restrictions of his character. While in disguise, a Thief may wear armor from up to the AR2 armor rating(chain for you other people), and use any shield that does not have a dimension greater than 36"
Now Assassins get this at 1st level!!!! Well shut the front door!!!
And rangers can now stand toe to toe, with the other armors within the the old AR 1 armor class........how is this game balance????can someone with more experience in these matters help me understand this!!!

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-09-17

Well, they lose their class abilities while wearing it for thieves and assassins and for 15 minutes after. No backstab alone seems like a decent trade off to me. Rangers are certainly not overpowered in any way, so giving them a boost is OK in my mind.

What you have to weigh is the simplicity of the system versus the boost to these classes. Most of Darkon is about fighting. If I have one less backstab to worry about cuz someone wants to wear heavy armor, I am all good with that. I'll take a straight up fight any day.

In any event, if it turns out this makes the named characters uber powerful, we can adjust later. I don't see it really being an issue but let's give this a try and worry about this if it becomes an issue.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-09-17

1: only matters on adventure day, and even then : who cares?
2: the cleric is already a fuggen beast, with a tower shield.... buffing rangers is the closes thing to a fair move we can make to address that.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-09-17

Yup good change. Any thief or assassin that wants to give up all their abilities to wear chain is welcome to do so, cause you know they COULD play a lvl 1 fighter and wear plate!!
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Soul Lo Wartorn
Knight of the Realm

Lord Andrick I see your point i too love a good fight.
I know this is selfish, but what about the lessening to my class the fighter? My armor is my second ability for my class. first being weapons use. Giving these classes a boost is soo not what this game needs now!! but that's just my silly Opinion...

Lord Andrick fifteen minutes in the Penalty box for abilities seems a less punitive action for upgrading your armor class.....my silly scenario "" Fight all day in a great armor and then head back to camp!! drop your armor off then down a few beers, go over your sketchy plans on who to raid or assassinate, after all you have been fighting all day and now know the Who, What, When bla bla bla!!.... then make your move!! On top of that you are now able to put back on your really good armor -Thanks you disguise- ( WHICH IN THE NEW SYSTEM IS ONE SHOT LESS THAN PLATE!!)) the best armor of the game, and your ready to go!!

I don't think this is very fair to game balance, and if we do not look at all of the ramifications now we could be setting a poor precedence for our group....I feel adding something new to the game is hard and it should be!! but taking away abilities is even harder!!..And because of that i want to make sure we get this right!!!...I love this new system but i do not want to screw up game balance and boost other classes for my own selfishness!!

Soul Lo Wartorn
Knight of the Realm

Murphy i thought you were on the stop boosting classes team????? also camp-outs is were tons of stuff takes place!!, something you should try, but that's just me :lol: .. Stop think inside the box Sir!! look at it this way, Camp-out prizes!! magic weapons, personal class boost, castles, boats, GIANT SLAYERS GUILD!!! all these come from camp-outs, not day adventures Murphy, but they play a part of YOUR DAY ADVENTURES....
so lets boost thieves and assassins and make them skill based and armor based beast!! that's who cares

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

I really don't mind anyone getting abilities that you have to actually wear or carry, especially if you can't use other ones at the same time.

If someone wants to wear armor, I'm cool with that, so long as they arent backstabbing me, or throwing fireballs or whatever.

As to my stance on "boosting classes": the armor plan is a unilateral shift. Heavy classes gain hits from it. Ideally I would like to see our armor move to a 3 pt system, but let's see if our club can count to 4 first (since apparently making things easier is tough for us 8) )

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Yup I dont see it as a boost really. I can play a watered down fighter for X amount of time +15 min of a thief/assassin with 0 abiities, or I can play a real fighter for Y amount of time. either way, that thief aint wearing plate, they aint using black shield breaking weapons.

what is the 3 pt system you would like to see? light armors take 1 hit, medium 2, heavy 3? would it be for any hit or would it be weapon dependent?

for example:

leather/studded/hide/stoneskin light
chain/scale/ironskin/steelskin medium
butted/plate heavy

Hell if we can just get shields reduced to 36" maximum you might be on to something...

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Soul Lo Wartorn wrote:Murphy i thought you were on the stop boosting classes team????? also camp-outs is were tons of stuff takes place!!, something you should try, but that's just me :lol: .. Stop think inside the box Sir!! look at it this way, Camp-out prizes!! magic weapons, personal class boost, castles, boats, GIANT SLAYERS GUILD!!! all these come from camp-outs, not day adventures Murphy, but they play a part of YOUR DAY ADVENTURES....
so lets boost thieves and assassins and make them skill based and armor based beast!! that's who cares

yeah, the EB really needs to think before allowing these permanent things. GS guild, US guild and that retarded turn undead banner are 3 of the worst things Ive ever seen. Someone should be dick slapped for that *.

President

Post by President » 2012-09-17

I stated this once already but I will state it again.

Should this proposal pass anything with a reference to AR in the rulebook will be edited by the EB to accommodate the new rules.

List of examples:

All class descriptions
disguise
backstab
armbands

As for balance - this proposal is not too far off the original system prior to the Mordomian Armor Rating (also known as AR1) being added for 'butted' armor.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

My dream 3pt scale would be thus
1pt : hide, sharkmail
2pt: chain, butted
3pt plate, banded, scale

barkskin / 1st mageskin allows druids/ wizards to use their 5oz / magerobes as a 1 hit armor.

and yes, I would rob the cleric of the tower and plate, but I'd be happy with just one.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-09-22

Don't think of it as a buff to any class. Think of it as an armor/hit system that is simple and makes sense. One that will make our game easier for newcomers to learn.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal