Removing "I invoke" line for select spells.

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Removing "I invoke" line for select spells.

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-12

any more suggestions?
any cosigners if no suggestions?
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-11-13

Fingers, What is the official proposal and wording you're looking at?
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-13

fingers630 wrote:Current rules for casting a spell:

Casting a Spell
In order for a player to cast a spell, he must read the full length of the spell from either his spell book or a scroll, up to, but not including, the invocation line if required. The spell must be read loudly and clearly, so that it is audible to those around the caster. A caster may not speak (other than reading the spell), fight, move his feet, or be moved from his position while casting a spell. If the caster speaks, fights, moves, or is hit by a weapon (including shafts) during spell casting, the spell is negated and the spell points are forfeited. If the caster wishes, he may then begin the spell again from the beginning.

The spell is considered "cast" when the full spell has been read, up to, but not including the invocation line. Once the spell is cast, the caster may then hold the spell indefinitely before invoking it. While holding a spell, the caster may not speak, and is permitted to move no more than five steps from his original position. Also, while holding a spell, the caster may not be moved by another player. If a weapon strikes the spell caster while he is holding a spell, the spell effects are visited fully upon the caster.

For example, if a Mage is struck be an arrow while holding a cast Fireball spell, the spell detonates in the Mage’s hands.

When the caster is ready to invoke a spell, he says, "I, [Name], invoke [Spell Name]!” and the spell effects will take place. The invocation line of a spell must be shouted and read continuously. It is at the time of invoking a spell that the caster must release any material components the spell requires, such as spell balls. Spell casters may not cast a spell if they are mortally wounded or have a light wound on both arms.

Example: If a Mage is casting Lightning Bolt, which has a required length of at least 150 words and the five word invocation line "I, [Name], invoke Lightning Bolt!" he must read at least 145 words to cast the spell. To invoke the spell, he reads the invocation line and immediately throws the component, a blue spell ball, at his target. If he is interrupted before the spell is considered “cast,” the spell fizzles and he expends 1 spell point. He may then begin casting the spell again, from the beginning. However, if he had been interrupted during the invocation line, with the spell ball still in his possession, the spell effects cause a black wound to his throwing arm.

I propose changing only 1 sentence in the current rule, which I feel should have been included in the first place as it was hinted at in the first paragraph but not continued into the second:

The spell is considered "cast" when the full spell has been read, up to, but not including the invocation line should one be required. Once the spell is cast, the caster may then hold the spell indefinitely before invoking it.

The the following spells should be marked with the footnote #1 (which currently is not in use for anything):

Cleric- Word of Holding, Turn Undead (Include Rank in invocation), Curse
Druid- Lightning Bolt, Warp Wood, Dispel Magic, Entangle, Nature Love
Mage - Magic Missile, Lightning Bolt, Dispel Magic, Ice Storm, Feeble Mind, Fireball
Cavalier- Turn Undead
Warrior Mage- Magic Missile, Dispel Magic

Footnote #1 should be then removed from any spells not listed above, and have the notation "Spells marked in this fashion require an invocation line before they are considered cast."

Thoughts?

DrSquirrel

Post by DrSquirrel » 2012-11-13

cosign
Something something kindred something

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2012-11-13

Also cosign. Not sure how many cosigners you need (or what they have to do). Lol.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2012-11-13

Add Mending to Mage and Warrior Mage. Will stop fights about gates being destroyed and mended.

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2012-11-13

Most of the fights seemed to be more about the gate being mended before it was "opened" after destruction. At least from what I saw. Adding the line to that wouldn't fix that problem.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-13

I had heard mention that it was the intent to remove Gates from being mended in future rulebooks making it a moot point to add it to the list. With gates being down until an Elder declares it up once more and ending all "but the gate was down when I dove through" arguments.

Keep in mind if mending is added, you must shout that you are behind enemy lines, mending fallen comrades' armor while you do it.

Personally either way is fine, whichever people prefer.

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-11-13

I cosign that * in a sec.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...