Locking mechanism on siege weapons

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Locking mechanism on siege weapons

Post by Snudge » 2012-11-04

Throughout the course of history, siege weapons have had some sort of locking mechanism or another.
We do not currently require them, should we?
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Re: Locking mechanism on siege weapons

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-11-04

I thought siege weapons were required to have a locking mechanism, or was that part of Lanham's overhaul proposal.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-04

That was part of Tycho's overhaul proposal (though it was co-written by Lanham) which passed senate back in December 2006 and completely disappeared, never going through the EB.

The original text can be found on the old boards, and all we changed was that we removed trebs. If somebody wants to go find it and re-propose it, I will cosign all day long.

smelton

Post by smelton » 2012-11-04

I will also cosign on that.
Smelton MaCath
Blacksmith of Tyrcath
Druid of the Great Bear

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-11-05

I went and found the old proposal.

Proposal For Siege Weapons
Tue, Jan 31, 2006 1:47 AM

This is something I've been working on, could be used as a replacement for the current siege rules. Tell me what you think.
Siege Weapons

Siege weapons shall fall into one of three categories
1. Ballista, to be defined as a weapon consisting of a bow section and a stock section, akin to a giant crossbow. A ballista shall be powered by torsion, bow, or elastics. A ballista shall fire either a bolt or ball. A ballista shall have a stand or base that it must rest upon in order to be fired.
2. Catapult, to be defined as a weapon using an arm to accelerate a ball in an arcing fashion. Catapults shall consist of an upright section for the arm to come to rest against, and a base section for the arm to pivot from. A catapult shall be powered by elastics, bow or torsion. A catapult shall fire balls.
3. Cannon, to be defined as a tube using elastics to accelerate a cylindrical ball in a linear fashion. Cannon tubes shall be mounted on a solid base.

Sizes of siege weapons shall be as follows:
Ballista shall measure no less than 3 in height, width, or length.
Catapults shall measure no less than 2 in width, 3 in length, and 3 in height.
Cannon shall measure no less than 2 in width, 3 in length, and 2 in height.

All siege weapons shall be subject to the following rules.

1. Three players must man a siege weapon at all times while it is in use; two players to load the siege weapon and one to fire it. These players must have both hands free. It requires two players to lift a siege weapon, even if it is physically light enough to be moved by a single player.
2. Once a siege weapon has been fired, those manning it must count aloud 10 seconds before firing the siege weapon again; this count must be loud enough that it can be heard within 10' radius of the siege weapon.
3. Siege weapons may only fire one bolt or ball at a time.
4. Siege weapon bolts and balls inflict 'green' damage upon impact, even in the case of misfire. Green damage causes death to anyone who is struck directly by a green damage weapon, penetrating and destroying all armor and shields. In addition, green damage causes a mortal wound to any player who is within a 3' radius of the point of impact, also penetrating and destroying all armor and shields.
5. A single hit from any green weapon will destroy a siege weapon; additionally, siege weapons can be destroyed in the same manner as gates (see Fortifications).
6. Ballistae fire 'bolts' that are constructed under the same guidelines as javelins with foam fins (see Javelins in Chapter Three). Catapults and cannons fire 'balls' that are constructed under the same guidelines as spell balls (see Spell Balls in Chapter Six). Ballista bolts must have heads covered in dark green colored cloth. Catapult/cannon balls must be covered with dark green colored cloth.
7. All siege weapons shall be able to be cocked and loaded, then left in this ready state without additional assistance until fired.

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-11-05

Co-Signed
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-05

Co-sign, like I said I would.

I have one concern with the old proposal:

Are there any current ballistas that wouldn't fire properly with foam fins on their bolts? I noticed Legio doesn't have any fins, but I imagine they could add them (it doesn't have a size requirement for the fins).

smelton

Post by smelton » 2012-11-05

Co-sign as well.

I don't think ballista bolts should be required to have fins.
Smelton MaCath
Blacksmith of Tyrcath
Druid of the Great Bear

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-11-05

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Co-sign, like I said I would.

Are there any current ballistas that wouldn't fire properly with foam fins on their bolts? I noticed Legio doesn't have any fins, but I imagine they could add them (it doesn't have a size requirement for the fins).

OOPS missed the fins part...why fins?? or rather fletching...
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Lord Dubh wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Co-sign, like I said I would.

OOPS missed the fins part...why fins?? or rather fletching...

The intent was to make sure nobody picked them up and used them as javelins. A green head might be easy to miss in the heat of a battle, but fins wouldn't be.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2012-11-05

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:That was part of Tycho's overhaul proposal (though it was co-written by Lanham) which passed senate back in December 2006 and completely disappeared, never going through the EB.

The original text can be found on the old boards, and all we changed was that we removed trebs. If somebody wants to go find it and re-propose it, I will cosign all day long.

Since the text as written passed the Senate; need this be discussed there again or can we simply push it up to the EB to move it along?
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Sir Aethilgar wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:That was part of Tycho's overhaul proposal (though it was co-written by Lanham) which passed senate back in December 2006 and completely disappeared, never going through the EB.

Since the text as written passed the Senate; need this be discussed there again or can we simply push it up to the EB to move it along?

There is no official record of it. No copies, no notes in a binder or anything like that, so I don't think we can do it that way.

There are just the memories of so many senators who sat on the bleachers on a December morning voting on it.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:There is no official record of it.

Ugh.

Well, mark me down as a supporter then.

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Unless there's a strenuous objection I'm going to re-propose this for Tycho tomorrow.
I'd do it today, but letting it sit for 24 hours isn't gonna hurt.
But seriously, anyone have any objections? At all?

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-05

Just out of curiousity, aside from getting rid of Mordoms siege weapons, what is the reason a locking mechanism is required? Does it make the item safer or something?
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-11-05

Our ballistas fire accurately without fletching. Thus we did not design the siege engine for it. Not sure if we would run into problems since we never tried firing a bolt with fletching.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

fingers630 wrote:Just out of curiousity, aside from getting rid of Mordoms siege weapons, what is the reason a locking mechanism is required? Does it make the item safer or something?

Yes, that is what we discussed. It means that once ready to fire, a person cannot accidentally hurt anybody else because they let go at the wrong time. We also agreed that, as others said here, that they are more in-line with a real=life device.

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-11-05

Remove fins on the bolts, that is just silly. Add "feet" to the dimension specs as there is no unit of measurement listed.

Otherwise, 100% support.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Sir Caetrel wrote:Remove fins on the bolts, that is just silly. Add "feet" to the dimension specs as there is no unit of measurement listed.

Otherwise, 100% support.

Concur.

Facta non Verba

President

Post by President » 2012-11-05

You could just have the NC do a study on the devices and if they determine that it is safer to have them have a locking mechanism they can make it mandatory as a safety issue. No need to change anything.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

True, but this also defines alot of things about siege weapons beyond just a locking mechanism

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Fiyero
Darkonian

Post by Fiyero » 2012-11-06

Well there is the whole thing of the slingapults going against the spirit of the game
Fiyero Weyland
Bard
Annalist & Corporal of BAMC

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-06

How so? They take just as long to load as the Exillium one, shoot about the same distance, require 10 seconds to "reload", and looked perfectly fine to me.

I can think of a lot of other things more against the spirit of the game.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-11-06

Slingapults look nothing like anything even remotely resembling a siege weapon. There's no reason we can't make something that actually looks at least a little like a siege weapon.

Otherwise, why not just make someone wear bright green, sit them in a chair, and let them throw green beanbags. That's about how realistic the slingapults are.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-11-06

Why can't we add a compressed air option to cannons? The siege weapon still has to be checked. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are smart enough that could make a safe working design. I'm kind of indifferent on the make siege engines look real argument.