Locking mechanism on siege weapons

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Re: Locking mechanism on siege weapons

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2012-11-06

I don't see why you can't build a prototype and have the NC (for safely) and Senate (for rulebook change) take a look at it.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-11-06

I am not saying they have to be 12' tall and generate their firing energy via wound rope or the like. I just feel that there's a point of complete ridiculousness, where a bystander will be asking, "What in the hell is that supposed to represent?" The catapults that look like water balloon launchers with a wooden plank in front are well into that territory, imo.

Extreme levels of abstraction, when well beyond what's needed as a matter of safety, become needlessly goofy really quickly.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2012-11-06

I'm sure that air cannons can be built safely and be trusted. It is the people that play Darkon that I dont trust to be within 10 miles of something like that. And never will.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2012-11-07

Zentor wrote:I'm sure that air cannons can be built safely and be trusted. It is the people that play Darkon that I dont trust to be within 10 miles of something like that. And never will.

... qft.

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-11-08

Warlord, Darkon club (meaning it uses our rules) about 20 people on the regular and this is what they have for siege engines:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4951_n.jpg
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-11-08

Any information about how far/accurately it fires?
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-11-09

Man I'm off the grid for a few days(week or so) and the prop that was passed twice and disappeared just as many times... Comes back like a zombie.

Oh and the same stuff is chatted about like the last time.

Air cannons- you are crazy! Just as crazy as the treb people were.

Fins are good but won't break the world if not around

Will read through the rest when I'm not sleep deprived.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Post by Saris Fey-Branche » 2012-11-09

If we know for a pact that a proposal passed, why does it keep getting bounced back to the Senate to be passed again?

We should not have to pay the price for other people's incompetence. It passed, it doesn't need to be passed again. Move it on through.
Chosen Blood Officer

President

Post by President » 2012-11-09

Because no one has produced the evidence to show it was passed by Senate.

Kel von Graymere
Darkonian

Post by Kel von Graymere » 2012-11-12

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
fingers630 wrote:Just out of curiousity, aside from getting rid of Mordoms siege weapons, what is the reason a locking mechanism is required? Does it make the item safer or something?

Yes, that is what we discussed. It means that once ready to fire, a person cannot accidentally hurt anybody else because they let go at the wrong time. We also agreed that, as others said here, that they are more in-line with a real=life device.

Arguing that the sling a pults aren't good because they're not safe is confusing to me.

Any of the current designs use surgical tubing in some capacity, and thus, all our engines have the capacity for failure and the (tragic/funny) release of stored elastic energy in someone's face.

The difference in our case is that there is no metal/plastic/wooden part/clip that's going to go flying along with the failed tubing.

Our weapons fire no faster, and do no more damage than any other weapon. Indeed, our range is not as large as most of the other weapons out there, due to our projectiles. Balista bolts are much more aerodynamic.

The argument of realism also doesn't hold weight either, because balista bolts don't explode. They're not designed by Hawkeye. So, if realism is an issue, we should -in addition- address the following: 5oz leather armor, non-riveted/welded chain without a gambeson, yellow weapon damage not killing to a limb, indeed, any heavy armor without a gamebeson, the existence of spells in the first place... It's an abstraction, designed for smooth gameplay and saftey.

As to Inox's point: "I just feel that there's a point of complete ridiculousness..." Any bystander to this game will have that opinion of the entire assembly. We're adults playing at knights and villains, cops and robbers. No amount of wood and metal latching will change that.

Why did this proposal come up again? Was someone injured by one of our pults?

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-11-12

I introduced it for realism. No one was injured. The proposal has already been submitted
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2012-11-12

Snudge wrote:I introduced it for realism. No one was injured. The proposal has already been submitted

From what I read in your proposal, engines must have a locking mechanism in "all siege weapons shall be able to be * and loaded, then left in this ready state without additional assistance until fired." However... it does not state that you ~must~ use said lock between shots. In other words, you do not have to load, lock, then fire the weapon... you could still fire a 'sling-a-pult' in a pull/release method so long as you had a string to tie it off with... or a latch-hook... enabling the weapon to sit 'locked and loaded'. Is this not correct?

Facta non Verba

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-11-12

I'll amend the proposal to close this gray area, thanks for pointing it out

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-13

Kel von Graymere wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
fingers630 wrote:Just out of curiousity, aside from getting rid of Mordoms siege weapons, what is the reason a locking mechanism is required? Does it make the item safer or something?

Yes, that is what we discussed. It means that once ready to fire, a person cannot accidentally hurt anybody else because they let go at the wrong time. We also agreed that, as others said here, that they are more in-line with a real=life device.

Arguing that the sling a pults aren't good because they're not safe is confusing to me.

It was agreed that locking makes them safer because they must be locked into place, then let go of only when ready.

The argument of realism also doesn't hold weight either, because balista bolts don't explode. They're not designed by Hawkeye.

They don't explode, and no proposal says they do. Only people who say "BOOM" and are incorrect suggest that they explode. A real-life ballista bolt would be as large as the three people it takes to load it in our game - and that is why it has a radius.

Why did this proposal come up again? Was someone injured by one of our pults?

Because it was passed years ago and isn't in the rule book by someone's failure. If it was passed as a rule, it should be there, and we're going to make sure it is.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-13

I can assure you that when a ballistae bolt lands, it does in fact make a loud BOOM sound.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-01-25

Siege weapons proposal failed in the last meeting of 2012 and although it has been brought up that some time in the past it was approved and never made it to the rulebook we will need a verified passing vote for it to do so now. That being said it will need two new cosigners before it goes before senate again so we will table this discussion for this event meeting but if 2 new cosigners do cosign it then it will be discussed and voted again on at the meeting done before the rules can go into effect mid year.
So long story short for now it is being tabled

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-01-25

this was never presented to senate, it has 3 cosigners

Edit

Being told I need additional cosigners, even if it is the original people.
Can I get two cosigners?

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Cog
Land Marshal

Post by Cog » 2013-01-25

I co-sign this

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-01-25

1 more person and next senate (the one after this sunday) it will be presented and voted on
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-01-25

cooooooooooooosiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiign
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...