Fighter's Armor Repair

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
The Quiet Cleric
Knight of the Realm

Fighter's Armor Repair

Post by The Quiet Cleric » 2012-12-20

I'm not proposing any rules changes (yet), but I just wanted to bring up a point of discussion. At rank 10, a Fighter can repair armor, but this requires the person wearing the armor take it off. Aside from helmets, this is completely ludicrous in a battle situation. Anyone think Fighters should just be able to repair armor on-body? For comparison's sake, a rank 1 Mage can repair every piece of armor on you instantly with a single one-point spell, but a rank 10 Fighter needs to take the piece off, bang at it for two minutes (an eternity on the battlefield), and put it back on. And that repairs one single piece.

When was the last time anyone used Armor Repair outside of a siege situation?

Lord Absolom

Isawa Ryuu

Re: Fighter's Armor Repair

Post by Isawa Ryuu » 2012-12-20

Bad idea...I am planning to make the ability a battle skill in my proposal that can be used indefinably. Magic should have the edge in repairing. Armor repair will still have a place, but there needs to be extra work involved when there are no limitations on amount of times it can be performed. Magic is just a convince but not the only avenue available.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-12-21

I recall a camp fire story I heard of a work around to this rule (at a campout after many drinks).

The person requiring the repair would lay down and the fighter would begin repairing the armor.
The person wearing the armor would yell and hollar as though someone was hitting them with a hammer (which they are).
After two minutes of this, the person wearing the armor would stand up, brush him/herself off and go on about their business with their armor repaired.

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-12-21

That my friend is a cheat per the rules for repair....

Each piece of armor is considered separate, and must be removed from the Fighter’s body.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-12-21

years ago I used to carry a chailmail coif on my belt and wore a helm... when the helm took enough damage I would back up from the fight throw it to the ground and slip on a new undamaged coif. its within the rules now and then but cheesy as hell lol

the hard part was switching breastplates mid fight rofl
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-12-22

Carrying extra armor is not cheesy! Makes sense to do that for easy bits of armor. I may carry an extra helmet from now on.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-12-23

I may need to start looking for a squire............

Artex

Post by Artex » 2012-12-24

*pulls out a copy of the rules fron 1995 and blows the dust off* Oh how I hate everything that has happened since I found you.

But No seriously I don't see anything wrong with armor repair as is. It should not be as useful as a mending spell. That makes low level mages less useful.

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-12-26

During Campouts I use the repair skill all the time. Mainly just for my torso armor since it comes off in one piece. I'll usually do it behind the safety of my walls not out in the open. Repairing my shield I'll do anywhere if I think Ill have time.

Carrying an extra 5 lbs coif for the chance that your plate helm gets destroyed is far from cheesy. Especially when you are already rocking 50lbs of gear. That 5lbs makes a hell of a difference.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-16

Don't change it. Mend is magic, it costs a spell point. Repair is a physical activity, just like first aid. I DO however think that a high level fighter should be able to actually heal a light wound after 5 minutes of wearing a first aid bandage. That would be neat. But, then clerics wouldn't use as many spell points... so it should prolly stay as it is.

Thrush
high level fighter
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''