Slip bonds / captives

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Slip bonds / captives

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-09

I can't find "slip bonds" in the rulebook. Was it removed intentionally or by accident? I don't remember senate removing the ability to slip bonds.

Also, more bad editing: The whole paragraph about non-thief looting appears under the heading of "CAPTIVES".

I put this in proposals because if it was removed accidentally, I'd like to see it added back.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: Slip bonds / captives

Post by Inox » 2013-01-10

No, this was removed deliberately. It was a useless ability that just resulted in all captured Thieves getting Yellow'd to Light wounds every time they got captured.

Also, capturing people is stupid, often causes problems & ill will (even if not outright used for griefing), & should be banned outright.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Zodiac89

Post by Zodiac89 » 2013-01-10

So if you get captured, you're basically *, unless you get rescued, or somehow RP your way into charming your captors to letting you go. Where's the fun in that?
Barknell: Druid, observing the realm, beholding the beauty of Mother Nature.
Every rose has its thorns, every book, a story.

Never suffer Betrayal.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-11

Just declare yourself dead and go to hades. No sense in roleplaying in this game....
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-01-11

I like the idea of ransom and other springboards for RP.. I will say that if you have no intention of releasing a prisoner or are keeping them solely to prohibit them from playing, you are doing it wrong.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-11

fingers630 wrote:Just declare yourself dead and go to hades. No sense in roleplaying in this game....

Well, there are units in this game that will tell you that they hate to RP and won't do it, so yeah, maybe they should just do that.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-01-11

Captives, from the rulebook. Calling yourself dead and just leaving is clearly against the spirit of these rules. Unless you feel threatened, then go get an elder or a noble

Captives
In certain role‐playing instances, participants may want to tie up other participants as captives. Physical bonds are not permitted. One foot of rope at least ¼’ thick must be used as a representation of bonds. To apply the bonds, the capturing participant must place both hands on the captive’s hands for a count of 30 seconds and must state, “I am nth level, this is my rope. You are being bound. You are now bound and gagged.” The captive must then hold the rope, but may not actually be ‘bound.’
Another participant may release the captive by holding the arms of the captive and untying the knots; alternately, he can use an edged weapon to cut the bonds. Additionally, if the bound participant has an edged weapon on his person, he may cut himself free. Each of these actions takes 30 seconds.
For safety, the captive participant must be able to physically free himself at all times and may leave if he feels threatened in an out of game sense.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

just out of curiousity, what difference does it make what level you are?

you have to be pretty sad to be taken hostage since anyone can stab themself and head to hades. guess maybe clerics without a flail...

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-11

fingers630 wrote:just out of curiousity, what difference does it make what level you are?

you have to be pretty sad to be taken hostage since anyone can stab themself and head to hades. guess maybe clerics without a flail...

That's what feeblemind is for... Or curse! When they can't use a weapon, they can't go anywhere! Then you can bind their limbs and even heal them if you want.

Sometimes people submit to capture, as well, for "role playing purposes"... Whatever that phrase means. I'm not familiar with roleplay.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-01-11

fingers630 wrote:just out of curiousity, what difference does it make what level you are?

That's probably a relic that should have been taken out with the "slip bonds" ability.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-01-11

Crazy talk again! Darkon does not believe in noobs being able to hinder vets in any way. Surprised that there isnt a rule saying that if you're 10 lvs higher than your captor, he gets bound in stead.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-01-11

Capturing is one of those things that sounds fun on paper, but usually is just an engine for butthurt.

I remember when we allowed people to *actually* tie up captives...until we had a really embarrassing groping incident. Of course, complaints about uncomfortable "you have to lie there & take it" type touching were also why we went to permission-only physical looting.

The more we want to encourage growth & acceptance of our hobby, the more we need to strike rules that deal with doing things to other players' bodies outside of combat.
Beast of BABALON

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

yep years and years ago when the club was a lot smaller, i recall getting "points" for captured nobles and such. over time it just seemed to be more of a griefing mechanic than fun.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-01-12

in all seriousness when was the last time anyone actually took a captive against their will.
The last time I can recall this is when harn ran the clue campout and Nurgle captured ched's main npc guy.
Even that was here, hold this rope and this beer. I'm sure someone will be along to rescue you soon enough.

if you are getting butthurt about being forced roleplay, maybe darkon isn't the game for you. Hell maybe LARPs aren't for you at that point
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-01-12

Snudge wrote:in all seriousness when was the last time anyone actually took a captive against their will.
The last time I can recall this is when harn ran the clue campout and Nurgle captured ched's main npc guy.
Even that was here, hold this rope and this beer. I'm sure someone will be along to rescue you soon enough.

if you are getting butthurt about being forced roleplay, maybe darkon isn't the game for you. Hell maybe LARPs aren't for you at that point

Talking about the last time you recall someone being nonplussed by it isn't an argument for it.

People made the same "If they can't take it, maybe full contact isn't for them" argument about actual physical looting w/o permission, too.

Forced roleplay isn't where we need to go, especially when it has to do with the physical control of people outside of combat. Really, forced just about anything is sketchy to me.
Beast of BABALON

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-01-12

Last time I saw that would be at the O.R.C.S. campout; last year? 2010?, Nurgle captured, bond and then tortured a goblin NPC for information.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-01-12

Nk/kindred captured and interrogated Caedes at the March campout of 2012.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2013-01-14

Sir Sturmbjorne wrote:Last time I saw that would be at the O.R.C.S. campout; last year? 2010?, Nurgle captured, bond and then tortured a goblin NPC for information.

Nurgle did that too? Kindred captured a goblin NPC, interrogated him, and I think we healed him and let him go and gave him some kind of fake title or something. It was the best RP we had all weekend.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

PadreCaedes
Darkonian

Post by PadreCaedes » 2013-01-14

I also clearly remember being bound with hands behind my back and a dagger in my hand some years ago. I counted to thirty whilst performing a sawing motion with the dagger against the rope.
Warmaster Caedes, Kinslayer
Knight of Ched Nasad
Patron Father of House LeDouche

High Priest of Ched Nasad
Vicar of the Church of Khorne
Steward of NorthHold
House Ledouche: "We Bow to No Man...Because We Can't"