Darkon Reboot

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Artex

Darkon Reboot

Post by Artex » 2013-02-28

Thought I would post this here for any of you not on FB.

These are some ideas tossed around what do you guys think?

Reboot Darkon:
1: Wipe the Land Map: All counties redeclare with 13 hexes
2: Wipe all Campout Prizes: nuff said
3: Wipe all Holy Weapons: Easy enough for active clerics to recast.

The game is 30 years old and has never been rebooted. Call it the apocalypse, run an end game scenario, or something else. But most of the crap that is in darkon now was done by players who no longer come out. Personally I think a fresh start with our updated rules is a great idea.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: Darkon Reboot

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-02-28

Why? There's no point. The map thing, take it or leave it... whatever. Some of us have holy weapons in our possession that actually have a place in the game and there are stories around them, why on earth would you take them away? This sounds like sour grapes. Again, wiping the map (and I assume the coffers that go with it?) would have one effect: no wars for a long time. Is that good?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

Post by Havoc » 2013-02-28

No. Just simply no.

Artex

The only one of those that is directly my idea is get rid of the OP campout prizes.

As far as to why the holy weapons because there are holy weapons in the game that were made by players who no longer play, that cheapens the holy weapon effect. It's the only permanent enchantment spell in darkon it should be rarer then it is.

I could take or leave the land map, but if we're going to reboot might as well go all the way.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Well we aren't... so that's good. This'll never happen. Having holy weapons left over from defunct countries is * awesome. They become IC relics. Why not stop letting people make holy weapons after about a year of playing. Then it would become rarer.
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Artex

Again The holy weapon was not my idea. I am just posting this because it was posed on face book. The only one I will really defend are the stupid campout prizes that are way to OP to be permanent.

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

There are few that even affect gameplay ourside of landsearches, the vast majority are fluff or landmap only.

Artex

The Giant Slayers guild and The Undead Nuking Banner come to mind that are allowed at campouts.

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

That banner was a 1 year prize. Gsg has been nerfed and is the flagship one everyone points out. name some fluff or unique ones that also affect gameplay?
Last edited by Havoc on 2013-02-28, edited 1 time in total.

Artex

Okay, i'll give you that then. I'm glad thats nerfed. Again I'm just posting thoughts from another thread, you guys jumping on me doesn't make sense, I'm just sharing for your benefit, and giving you the run down as I saw it.

Thrush Svartehjertet

I have yet to jump on you, you posted something here, on the Darkon Message Board, I posted my thoughts here. I did not take it as these are YOUR ideas. You did however step up to bat to be devils advocate though, so take yer lumps. I have no other way to respond to the Darkon Message Board other than on the Darkon Message Board...
Warriors Guild

Artex

okeedokee

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-02-28

LOL and now you see Artex the feelings of the rest of Darkon who arent on the Facebook page :)

My only issue is with country coffers. I think they should be for country * only, not for individuals to use for whatever IC thing they wish to do. No banks except for land actions. If you got money, bring it out, and hope you dont lose it.

Well we aren't... so that's good. This'll never happen. Having holy weapons left over from defunct countries is * awesome. They become IC relics.

quoted for truth
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-02-28

I've been in two countries and been close allies with another. None of the campout prizes any of those countries had (and there were many) were game-breaking. There is nothing currently on the map that is game-breaking.

There are things that must be adjusted for, but they are not the end of the world.

Holy weapons are not game-breaking. Money is not game-breaking (instead, the economy had adjusted to be gold standard).

And there are changes that must be made to ones that exist when used at campouts (or even in some rare land searches). Most notably: What happens when the giant slayers guild is fighting giants and there is another country also engaging them. What if the GSG wants to fight the other country too? (Which can happen on land searches.)

Artex

fingers630 wrote:LOL and now you see Artex the feelings of the rest of Darkon who arent on the Facebook page :)

My only issue is with country coffers. I think they should be for country * only, not for individuals to use for whatever IC thing they wish to do. No banks except for land actions. If you got money, bring it out, and hope you dont lose it.

Well we aren't... so that's good. This'll never happen. Having holy weapons left over from defunct countries is * awesome. They become IC relics.

quoted for truth

Yeah I guess I was just surprised! Although I agree with the country coffers thing.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Every single time someone has said "on the Darkon facebook page" it seems like the only things discussed there are power gaming and sour grapes... Just an observation. It's like the people who can't win in a fight go there to figure out how to change the rules to win easier. Or complain about stuff...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Artex

I can see why there isn't a lot over overlap lol

Bors Drakmoryn

Post by Bors Drakmoryn » 2013-02-28

This is a silly conversation. But sure, I'll jump in the middle of it.

Much like the real world, Darkon was here before you got here I'm including myself into that statement as well. I have been involved with Darkon for more than 20 years and Darkon was here before me too. And in that time, a wealth of history has happened. Countries rose and fell, days were won or lost and relics were born. And you just want to wipe it all away? Just reboot it? That is one, bar none, of the stupidest thing I have EVER heard involving Darkon and trust me, I have heard some pretty * ridiculous ideas for this game. Where is your * sense of history?

"Well, I don't think it's fair, that some countries have prizes and stuff that they earned 20 years before I ever started playing." That what I read from the previous statements sounded in favor of this ignorant idea. It's petty and small minded and the people who helped build the game you seem to enjoy playing deserve more respect for build the world you seem to playing in.

Get your head out of your ass and fix real problems the game might have.
Bors

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-03-01

Thrush, I started work at 7:30 yesterday morning. And the three Darkon FB threads were at 13, 6 and 20 comments. At 6:00 when I started driving from Waldorf to home, one of them was at almost 550 comments. The others were high as well.
My opinion on the three ideas are..
1. Rebooting holy weapons, no. For the reasons that thrush gave. And Ched Nasad gave up a big prize to make a holy weapon in the game unbreakable/undestroyable. Because of the history that was around that weapon. I have two holys, one is mine after fifteen years, one is from the mindflayer (Davis) of Dark Legion. That only I use.
2. Land map reboot, no. No one has given a good reason for it. Let alone to clear out op prizes. There isn't one that I can name, that is over powered. Even the gsg we used it to stop giant growth. But for your knowledge, I was there in the beginning, and time made it op, campouts host saying "you can use the GSG this campout" and the. Ched Nasad powered it down, ourselves. How you ask, made it so only a currtain rank and up can use it. And you have to fight for it. Oh and did I forget to mention, that we would kill our own people and allies if they were giants. What a shame, that the eb tried ta nerfed it, oh wait they didn't, we did! Eb passed it to the next and so on. We only use it at land searches. And ask the host of campouts if its allow.
3. Wiping the map... No.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-03-01

Warlordcort wrote:Thrush, I started work at 7:30 yesterday morning. And the three Darkon FB threads were at 13, 6 and 20 comments. At 6:00 when I started driving from Waldorf to home, one of them was at almost 550 comments. The others were high as well.

I suspect the people who spend THAT much time on there are un-employed or are people who care about how many friends they have on facebook, meaning whiny power gamers looking for the easy button.

And Artex, yeah, there's little overlap because most of us who spend time HERE are active members of Darkon who are interested in making the game better, not just winning and whining. And this has been proven time and time again.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-03-01

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
Warlordcort wrote:Thrush, I started work at 7:30 yesterday morning. And the three Darkon FB threads were at 13, 6 and 20 comments. At 6:00 when I started driving from Waldorf to home, one of them was at almost 550 comments. The others were high as well.

I suspect the people who spend THAT much time on there are un-employed or are people who care about how many friends they have on facebook, meaning whiny power gamers looking for the easy button.

And Artex, yeah, there's little overlap because most of us who spend time HERE are active members of Darkon who are interested in making the game better, not just winning and whining. And this has been proven time and time again.

Thrush
berserk

A large percentage of the people posting in the particular thread were regular posters here, to be honest (Cormac, Inox, Kai, Aethilgar, Artex, Fingers, Valfryn, Bendore, myself).

It's a lot easier to make a thread with 500 comments on Facebook, too. You can do other stuff (like work - I know several people on it were "working") and just pop back over, type a random line of text and hit enter (at one point it just became jokes, which is why it grew). Posting here is much more difficult (there is a timer and you have to click submit - and there is a minimum post length). Coincidentally, that is why discussion is better here overall.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:A large percentage of the people posting in the particular thread were regular posters here

That's sad.

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Posting here is much more difficult (there is a timer and you have to click submit - and there is a minimum post length). Coincidentally, that is why discussion is better here overall.

Yerp. Most of the time we actually are working on stuff here... not just chatting.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-03-01

Every time this comes up I say the same thing : NO. My country has been around for over 25 years, as have I. Despite that, we are supposed to give up everything we worked for just to make it easier for new people? Crap I say.

There is this thing called pride. Pride in working hard to build something. Pride in keeping a nation alive when we had to scrape together 4 people every event. Pride in having helped the game grow from 60 or less average per event to what we have today, 120 plus. And ya know what? I feel that pride every time I put on that Leaping Stag surcoat and every time I fight with NorthStar. I and Elidor earned what we have through blood, sweat and tears.

You want what we have? Come and take it on the field like we did. I'd be willing to bet 10 years down the road you'll feel a lot more pride having earned what you have as opposed to having it handed to you through some kind of re set.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Thrush Svartehjertet

Prince Andrick wrote:
I and Elidor ... have ... blood, sweat and tears.

Cause they're emo.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2013-03-01

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:I suspect the people who spend THAT much time on there are un-employed

Or they are compiling. Obligatory XKCD