Remove AoE

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: Remove AoE

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-03-06

-Inox- wrote:However, the bungeepults. Ugh. I am not sure how anyone ever approved/passed a "catapult" without a throwing arm. You know, the ONE THING all catapults have? Their key distinguishing feature? Every bungeepult should not only fail, it should be set on fire, and the ashes used to daily write "SHAME" on the forehead of the first person to introduce them to the realm.

I ain't mad at the people who use them now, but c'mon Darkon. Let's add some throwing arms to these damned things.

Dude... they are a disgrace to sportsmanship. They are the siege engine version of lightningboltlightningbolt... They are as uncool as Legio's ballista is mega awesome!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Thrush Svartehjertet

fingers630 wrote:Nature's Rot

Destroys all armor on target struck, as well as shield. Single target only. Same grey spell ball.

I like this, a lot. if they carry a back up weapon they can keep on fighting.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Thrush Svartehjertet

Sir Caetrel wrote:I am not in favor of removing AOE blanket from all spells, but then I don't think you'll have much traction with this in Senate.

I don't either.

This is a rather fundamental change to the game.

Removing it from thrown offensive spells would not be.

The recent complaints about fireball mainly seem to relate to:

1. Use in rezz battles and on bridge battles. Elders can simply remove AOE for a scenario if things get stupid. The solution here is better eldering at such times. Not removing aoe from the game.

Friday night trail fights at campouts, and long distance, winding woods battles like CTF would be the counter point. No elder in sight... Argument central. How many Friday nights are you out fighting in the dark and a mage SWEARS up down high and holy he hit 2 feet from you with a fireball and the whole fight stops and turns into he said/she said?

2. Mages cheesing their incantation, casting the rush-fireball, or simply too quick of a rate of fire. Again, better eldering, and perhaps a consideration of lengthening casting times of fireball et. al.

Yes. Twice.

I don't really understand the desire to keep it for siege weapons if fireball is such a problem. Do I really have to bring ALL the bunjeepults in my shed out to war? Have we forgotten how silly a line of these is? Not to mention their beardiness in boat battles. Even without AOE, they break gates.

Cause siege weapons SHOULD require skill to use (ballsita, catapult, trebuchet) and are real physical things. Except bungeepults, they are terrible for Darkon. In EVERY *' way possible. It cheapens the users, the receivers and the game. They are like allowing fishnets to be chainmaille.

[color=#FF0000]WTF is beardiness?
[/color]

For that matter, if fireball loses AOE, how do you determine if it blows up a gate or not?

Same way you determine if an arrow or javelin went through a gate or over the wall. I don;t see how this could ever be hard.

This is just too much of a big, sweeping change for me.

Agreed. I am much more specific in what i want to change than all the others here.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2013-03-06

For some reason Senate recently rejected Lanham's siege weapon prop to essentially add trigger/ locking/ firing mechanisms to any baliista or catapult. This would effectivelt ban bunjee *. I am all for restricting siege weapons to locking triggers and either real catapult arms or real prod and string ballista.

Anyhow...I think we all agree that situationally, AOE can be really stupid, griefy and unfun. I just don't want a blanket ban. Another thing I thought of...if we remove AOE entirely from spells, that means no monster/NPC at a campout will ever AOE again? Or else Adventure hosts will utilize them anyway, basically adding rules to the game. There is alot to consider here.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-03-06

My, how the times have changed. Senate accepted that proposal unanimously several years ago. And by that, I mean to say that I can't think of any objection at all.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-03-07

Interesting thing is, we strive for a representation of real stuff in all other aspects of the game, but for siege weapons we don't. You know, the BIGGEST representation of dark ages combat we have... Seems slightly mentally deficient.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Thrush Svartehjertet

Sir Caetrel wrote:For some reason Senate recently rejected Lanham's siege weapon prop to essentially add trigger/ locking/ firing mechanisms to any baliista or catapult. This would effectivelt ban bunjee *. I am all for restricting siege weapons to locking triggers and either real catapult arms or real prod and string ballista.

Anyhow...I think we all agree that situationally, AOE can be really stupid, griefy and unfun. I just don't want a blanket ban. Another thing I thought of...if we remove AOE entirely from spells, that means no monster/NPC at a campout will ever AOE again? Or else Adventure hosts will utilize them anyway, basically adding rules to the game. There is alot to consider here.

I think we 100% agree on this whole topic, and really, as we play and approach Darkon a little differently, that should mean something!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2013-03-07

Sir Caetrel wrote:Anyhow...I think we all agree that situationally, AOE can be really stupid, griefy and unfun. I just don't want a blanket ban. Another thing I thought of...if we remove AOE entirely from spells, that means no monster/NPC at a campout will ever AOE again? Or else Adventure hosts will utilize them anyway, basically adding rules to the game. There is alot to consider here.

this is a fairly simply fix, imho. have a section in the rules that talks about AoE balls and simply list them as situation. let the rules allow for them to be used occasionally for specific games (monsters, campout quests, etc), but not in the general day to day darkon.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2013-03-07

Fireball, Warp Wood, Siege Weapons...Adventure Rules only!

/ducks
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-03-07

Ducks quack, my friend.

I like AOE adventure, though most scenario battles are during adventures. I also HEAR that there are issues during trailfights at camp outs.

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2013-03-07

I think siege weapons are already adventure rule only.

To be honest I think we should encourage more realistic siege engine use. I am also against bungee pults. thanks for the props Thrush.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-03-07

Siege weapons are not adventure-only items, which is why they can be used in land wars.

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2013-03-07

Hmm well I thought that's what kept me from bringing them out on a regular two team event. Not using them for war actions would be asinine.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-07

or as I like to call it...fun!
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

TitusV wrote:I think siege weapons are already adventure rule only.

To be honest I think we should encourage more realistic siege engine use. I am also against bungee pults. thanks for the props Thrush.

Dude, that thing is tits. Love it. Wish we had more of em out there!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-03-07

There isn't really anything to keep you from being it to two-teams other than people complaining, maybe. Or an elder's discretion, I guess.

Back when I was in Ched Nasad (so many centuries ago), we used them in a two teams once just for the hell of it. We also used it during a Laconian Olympics. Hey, there is a reason to bring it out!