Armigerous Awards

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
ylinett
Darkonian

Armigerous Awards

Post by ylinett » 2013-03-29

I would like to propose that only winners of the armigerous awards are the ones who vote on future awards. I would also like to add that all awards may only be awarded one time per person. All votes will take place on the day of the Triumverate (after the meeting) by those present. Straight majority.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

ylinett
Darkonian

Re: Armigerous Awards

Post by ylinett » 2013-03-29

Order of the Eagle excepted of course.
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-30

Id like to slap whatever EB approved some of the current "permanent" awards... :)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-03-30

Why does Darkon need this? :P
What is the motivation for this?
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-03-30

co-signed

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-03-30

What is wrong with allowing people to win any award more than once?? It does ZERO harm.

I also do not see the need to create yet more self-selecting groups.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2013-03-30

There are several points,
1: Remove power from the 3 bodies to reward themselves.
2: Stop the silliness of OS5 OD2 OG7 that has already been pushed for.
3: Give another reason for people to show up for Triumverate.
4: Stop the potential for secret meetings held when only a few select people know about it.
5. Eliminate the gridlock of failing to meet quorum.
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-03-30

Cosign.

I like new winners every time, if none merit a nomination, there will be none that year.

If people need to consistently win the same award multiple times to stay motivated, well that sucks. Perhaps the ORDER itself can run an "in house" craft fair/ nominations council to determine who the Best of the Order is every year... whoa you see that? an organization within an organization... if only these people could come up with guilds or something and run those independently and maybe RP a little.. whoa

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

This will require a bylaws change proposal.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

ylinett wrote:There are several points,
4: Stop the potential for secret meetings held when only a few select people know about it.

By creating more bodies to self select??
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-04-03

ylinett wrote:There are several points,

The proposal has been posted. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=875

As a bylaws proposal it will need a larger majority so I hope people recognize that this is not a better idea then what we currently have and enough countries shoot it down.

1) Yet this proposal would create 5 bodies that self select its membership.
2) Who really cares if people win more than once? It doesn't prevent others from winning and its a feel good measure that offers no benefits. Literally, a fix for a non-existant problem.
3) That meeting doesn't really need to exist anymore with the split in the voting of the Board. The most impoirtant meeting of the year is the Annual Membership meeting in the Summer. Triumverate should go away.
4) Secret meetings? Who has 'secret' meetings? Each body announces its meetings to its members when scheduled.
5. Board and Senate never had this issue, NC has met quorum without having to call people since the new bylaws were implemented.

So, I see no issues for this proposal to fix and only seems to create more of what you hate....self selecting bodies of big heads.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-03

Just curious, why is Gryphon spelled 2 different ways (later spelled Griffin)

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-04-03

cause one is a family member of Peter?

(probably a oversite)
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

You have no idea how many times I corrected that only to find another one.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2013-04-03

Lord Valfryn wrote:If people need to consistently win the same award multiple times to stay motivated, well that sucks.

i think it would run the other way. I would think watching the same people be the best over and over again would motivate others to raise their standards to compete and try to be the best. as an example, amtgard has a long tradition of putting up and comers in their place. when a good fighter is working their way towards their warlord title, guys that already have their warlords come from near and far to push the new guy to excel even more! the end game is that it raises the fighting skill of EVERYONE in an area. it works in similar yet slightly less dickish way on the crafting side of things as well.

just like tuesday. if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. and a high bar rewards everyone involved in the process.
jayjay
No Quarter!

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2013-04-03

Lord NoFun has posted against this 5 times, that in itself should be enough reason to vote for it.
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

If you disagree with my assessment a better response is to explain why I am wrong.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-04-04

ylinett wrote:Lord NoFun has posted against this 5 times, that in itself should be enough reason to vote for it.

This comment does not need to be said in my personal opinion. The honorable Lord Dubh has made very compelling arguments against the proposal and just because he disagrees with your assessment does not make his assessment incorrect. Stating people should vote for your proposal on the basis that another person likes it or does not like it is a flawed manner in which to discuss the merits or the failings of a proposal

AS written

"I would like to propose that only winners of the armigerous awards are the ones who vote on future awards. I would also like to add that all awards may only be awarded one time per person. All votes will take place on the day of the Triumverate (after the meeting) by those present. Straight majority."

Creates several issues that I see could be a huge problem

1- Currently we have a very and let me say this again very small group of people that have been awarded winners of the armigerous award. So instead of having a group of people that reflect a large cross section of our organization choosing who has the right to receive the award, in most cases that would mean one to 5 people would be deciding who should get the award. That would smack of favoritism on who ever that small group picks regardless if it is deserved or not. One day in a few years this might be a good idea but right now it will not bring about the intended result that you might think.

2- All meetings of all the groups of our organization (with the possible exception of the Board of Directors who change yearly and are voted into position by the general populace) are well advertised well documented and well publicized. I have yet to see in the past 5 years these "secret" meetings you are discussing.

3. When the game was young and the Noble Council was small there was favoritism, which I experienced and fought against first hand. We are way past those dark times now with over 40 Nobles on the books activity volunteering their time to help run our organization with no compensation at all other then a title to show for it and consisting of a large cross section of the countries of our organization.

4. I have no problem with once a person earns an award then they are removed from the selection process because they have achieved that merit. With only one award being given each year for some things that will give more people the chance to get something for their efforts and they will not be competing against those who have already proven themselves worthy. If there was no limit to how many could earn the award each year then I would se no problem with allowing people to win it more then one time if worthy. The orders themselves (like the NC) could amongst themselves give out titles and make up threw roleplaying this manner of achieving "levels " if they so chose. It should be left to them to do or not do this and really after a award is earned everything else regarding it is just icing on a cake.

In service,
HRM Cailen
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-04

I cant read all that crap. The same people SHOULD be able to win the same awards over and over. It motivates people to be better than them. This everyone gets a trophy crap should stay in soccer, gtfo of Darkon wit hthat. The best are the best, and can call themselves that. Darkon does NOT need more sub groups that do anything... The game is getting really freaking clickish lately. And not in the good "my country is better than yours" way it was in the days of Rome and Mordom.

Thrush
berserk
unfiltered
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-04

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:I cant read all that crap. The same people SHOULD be able to win the same awards over and over. It motivates people to be better than them. This everyone gets a trophy crap should stay in soccer, gtfo of Darkon wit hthat. The best are the best, and can call themselves that. Darkon does NOT need more sub groups that do anything... The game is getting really freaking clickish lately. And not in the good "my country is better than yours" way it was in the days of Rome and Mordom.

Thrush
berserk
unfiltered

You're right, darkon Cliques are running amok. Which is why I don't want awards to become something that is given out to select few. Once you win one you get to say you are the best. Thats cool. If no one else steps up to the plate and no one gets nominated no one new wins. I don't think this is in favor of everyone getting a trophy, I hate that * too. You need to earn what you get. I think this rule is just to keep favoritism out of the process.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Favoritism was in the process from the very first issuing of any awards. But that's all I'll say about that.

But I still disagree, you should be able to tell how many times you won something... it's fun and keeps people interested. Because, what happens when the chick who won the XXXXXXX award last year, smokes the crap outta everyone the following year, but the award gets given to me because I hadnt won it yet, but everyone knew that the same chick was way better at XXXXXXX than I am? Your award just got made stupid.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-04-04

Who are the cliques?
The senate... The group that I see the same people at every meeting... Oh sad, it's the people that care about the game... The clique needs to be stopped!
The Board... Well *, if the clique has voting rights the game will fall apart today! What they do? No one should show up to the next event.... Darkon don't exist anymore... The board controls everything.
The NC... Well those guy police themselves can't let them give awards... Who knows they might have a meeting where they vote on someone to fight for something and earn it!
So what orders should be voted on by a select few... And which select few should that be?
How about you (no one is getting a finger pointed at them) step up to senate, run for the board so you can tell them people of Darkon who is the best at the * that they do...
Look problem solved, no cliques, just you speaking up for what/who/when awards are handed out.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-04

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Favoritism was in the process from the very first issuing of any awards. But that's all I'll say about that.

But I still disagree, you should be able to tell how many times you won something... it's fun and keeps people interested. Because, what happens when the chick who won the XXXXXXX award last year, smokes the crap outta everyone the following year, but the award gets given to me because I hadnt won it yet, but everyone knew that the same chick was way better at XXXXXXX than I am? Your award just got made stupid.

Thrush
berserk

Okay I see your point. That makes sense.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-04

Doesnt matter to me either way as I just come out to have fun and kill people, and I dont need an award to tell me Im good at it. I can honestly say that there are lots of people who can beat me in a 1 on 1 sword fight, however if I go back and tally all the times they have killed me, vs all the times I have killed them, I come up on top, every time.

Personally I view the awards as very cliquish penis stroking but if that is what helps you sleep at night, win your award 10x in a row. Ill be over here, not giving a *, and fireballing or backstabbing your award winning ass to up my kill count.

Fingers
Kill Count Champion

Thrush Svartehjertet

All of my arguments are based on: "IF we are going to have awards". I also do not care much about them. If they are given to me, I'm not going to insult the person who thought well enough of me to present me with one and say "I don't want your dumb penis stroking award." That would be rude. But I also think best in class and stuff is fun... just for fun's sake. Ads some flavor I guess?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild