Monks and Bows

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Banditt
Darkonian

Monks and Bows

Post by Banditt » 2013-04-03

Current Monk Rules

1. Monk characters strive for rigorous physical and mental discipline. Due to their intense reliance on order, they must be of lawful alignment whether good, neutral, or evil, and they must always remain true to their alignment. Monks may use any weapons except shieldbreaking weapons, bows, and crossbows.

2. At 3rd rank, Monks obtain Leather skin. This ability gives them the equivalent of leather armor (AC1) from head to toe at all times. A monk with this ability must wear an orange headband with a blue circle in the center.

3. At 4th rank, a Monk gains the ability to 'Cure Light Wounds' on himself only. TO perform this skill, the Monk must meditate for 60 seconds without interruption. During meditation, the Monk is not permitted to move or speak. Once completed, the Monk has fully healed one light wound anywhere on his body. This skill also restores any damage taken to the Monk's leather armor skin from the Leather skin skill.

4. At 15th Rank, Monks obtain Ironskin. This allows them to absorb the damage from one attack as per stoneskin. This ability layers with Leather Skin. A Monk must meditate for an additional minute to regain Ironskin. A monk with this ability must wear and orange headband with two blue circles in the center.

New Rules

1. ....Monks may use any weapons except shield breaking weapons, Remove Bows and Crossbows

AND/ OR

^at 20th rank, Monks have obtained the physical and mental discipline to wield bows and crossbows (this will be added to the monk class levels)

****Allow Monks to have bows without changing armor or other weapons.****
Last edited by Banditt on 2013-04-04, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Re: Monks and Bows

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-04-03

so to be clear

monks would gain the use of bows and crossbows
monks would gain one additional armorclass bump while not required to wear anything but a head band
1 point of damage absorbtion in 6 areas of the body = ing 6 points of armor

for all this monks would lose the ability to take one single hit one time anywhere on thier body (stoneskin)

am I correct?
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-04-03

admins thank you for moving this to the discussion area so people get a chance to comment on it

In service,
HRM Cailen
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-03

Lord Cailen Sendor wrote:so to be clear

monks would gain the use of bows and crossbows
monks would gain one additional armorclass bump while not required to wear anything but a head band
1 point of damage absorbtion in 6 areas of the body = ing 6 points of armor

for all this monks would lose the ability to take one single hit one time anywhere on thier body (stoneskin)

am I correct?

No, they would also lose black weapons. :)

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-04-03

Didn't we just give them Black Weapons like a year and a half ago? You dont want them anymore?

What is the purpose or rationale behind any of this; besides personal preference?
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-03

Yep, I prefer Black Weapons and Ironskin as it is. Thanks though.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-03

Yeah, getting rid of black weapons is a bad idea.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-04-03

I see no problem with Monks having bows & crossbows. Using one of those means you aren't simultaneously going flail/spear. However, the armor is fine as it is, and there's no reason to remove Black weapons.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-04

I think the fear of giving monks bows is that they would affect monsters as if they were magic which currently only rangers get.

Although I have never arched ever so it's a dead skill with my ranger.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-04

Easy fix. Just change wording of the abiity to "melee attacks" and youre done.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Banditt
Darkonian

Post by Banditt » 2013-04-04

What if we just added in the 20th rank ability then and left everything else the same? or just allow them to have bows and crossbows, if others don't seem to have an issue with monks having bows?

I edited the proposal, only adding in the use of Bows and crossbows. Either at the start of the class or at a higher level.

Thoughts?

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-04

Artex wrote:I think the fear of giving monks bows is that they would affect monsters as if they were magic which currently only rangers get.

Warrior mages could have their bow be a true strike bow. I've seen several golden arrows around, which implies that somebody is doing it already.

Banditt
Darkonian

Post by Banditt » 2013-04-04

fingers630 wrote:Easy fix. Just change wording of the abiity to "melee attacks" and youre done.

Would this help if I were the have this wording added in?

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-04-04

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
Artex wrote:I think the fear of giving monks bows is that they would affect monsters as if they were magic which currently only rangers get.

Warrior mages could have their bow be a true strike bow. I've seen several golden arrows around, which implies that somebody is doing it already.

Technically, this is supposed to be melee only. You can infer that from the language that says, "The weapon’s striking surface should be covered in gold cloth."

Enchant Personal Bow/Crossbow for Rangers requires the green tape on the WEAPON, not the arrows/ammunition. Similarly, if the WEAPON lacks a striking surface, it's not valid as a choice.

Also, note the language:

"The weapon will only strike true in the hands of that specific Warrior Mage, as the power derives from the character and not the weapon."

"A Monk may not loan his weapon away and have it considered to be enchanted; this skill is derived from the Monk himself, not the weapon."

"Cavalier. This weapon may not be loaned away and still be considered ‘Blessed’ as this skill comes from the Cavalier and not the weapon itself."

In all three cases, a weapon not in contact with that character loses its ability. Projectiles are not in contact with the character.
Beast of BABALON

PadreCaedes
Darkonian

Post by PadreCaedes » 2013-04-04

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Warrior mages could have their bow be a true strike bow. I've seen several golden arrows around, which implies that somebody is doing it already.

Not to hijack a thread or anything...but if Warrior Mages out there are attributing true strike to a bow...why do people still have an issue with a holy bow that fires blessed arrows?
Warmaster Caedes, Kinslayer
Knight of Ched Nasad
Patron Father of House LeDouche

High Priest of Ched Nasad
Vicar of the Church of Khorne
Steward of NorthHold
House Ledouche: "We Bow to No Man...Because We Can't"

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-04-04

See my reply above. :D

Right now, re: Holy Weapons, the weapon needs to be silver (bows can't be), and then covered in blue cloth, which also would indicate a striking surface.

However, now that there's ONE very obvious throwing weapon in the game (javs) and there's no need to mark them with blue tape, why not change it so that blue TAPE or ribbon marks a holy weapon, just like GREEN marks an enchanted one. Ditch the silver requirement (silly anyhow), and presto...no prob. with bows.

I personally like the idea of a holy bow.
Beast of BABALON

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-04-04

silver arrows shot from a holy bow ... simple and actually right in line with the way a ranger can make his or her arrows magical but in that case the arrows do not have to be silver

Gor Strayhorn

Post by Gor Strayhorn » 2013-04-17

I cosign lifting the restriction of bows/crossbows from Monks without a level requirement.
Gor Strayhorn
Great Wolf - Battle Leader of Asaheim
Warden and Warhound of Asaheim
First Ranger of Asaheim

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-04-17

As much as it makes sense (from an IC standpoint), I'm not going to cosign on a buff to everyone's "summertime alt".

I get it, it's hot out and you don't want to wear armor, but you wanna arch.

Meh. Just play an unarmored version of a class you already own.