Druid and Ranger woodland/neutral color definition

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Keiori Night

Druid and Ranger woodland/neutral color definition

Post by Keiori Night » 2013-04-15

Merideth Kelly

Senate Proposal-defining the term woodland/neutral colors for purposes of costuming for the Druid and Ranger character.
Purpose: I have heard every reason or excuse in the book as to why every color in the rainbow is considered a neutral or woodland color. I would like to change the wording as follows so that the colors for the Ranger and Druid character better reflects the intent or “spirit” of the rule.

As it is now-for Ranger pg. 29 in the current 2013 rule book

Rangers are fighter characters who are adept to natural or woodland surroundings. They may use any non shield‐breaking weapons, and may wear any armor up to AC 3 armor class. Rangers may use any shape shield, so long as the largest dimension of the shield does not exceed 36”. A Ranger’s costume should primarily consist of neutral/woodland colors. All Rangers have the ‘Tracking’ skill at 1st rank. This skill allows the Ranger to search for scents, footprints, or any other signs of disturbance in an area. The Ranger may gain information on any parties (i.e. party size, type of creatures, direction traveled), which may have passed through an area. An Elder must be present, who will determine what information is gained and inform the Ranger.

Change the wording to:

Rangers are fighter characters who are adept to natural or woodland surroundings. They may use any non shield‐breaking weapons, and may wear any armor up to AC 3 armor class. Rangers may use any shape shield, so long as the largest dimension of the shield does not exceed 36”. A Ranger’s costume should primarily consist of neutral/woodland colors which are: green, brown, and black. All Rangers have the ‘Tracking’ skill at 1st rank. This skill allows the Ranger to search for scents, footprints, or any other signs of disturbance in an area. The Ranger may gain information on any parties (i.e. party size, type of creatures, direction traveled), which may have passed through an area. An Elder must be present, who will determine what information is gained and inform the Ranger.

As it is now-for Druid pg. 31 in the current 2013 rule book

Druids are characters who worship nature above all else. The weapons that are permitted for use by Druids are all white weapons, bars, clubs, bows, crossbows, quarter staves, spears, javelins, and daggers. Druids are restricted to wearing armor made only from leather, whether Leather or Leather Scale from AC 1, or Hide from AC 2. Druids may use any shape shield, so long as the largest dimension does not exceed 36”. Druid characters should be garbed in primarily woodland colors and must wear a nature symbol to signify their character type.

Change the wording to:

Druids are characters who worship nature above all else. The weapons that are permitted for use by Druids are all white weapons, bars, clubs, bows, crossbows, quarter staves, spears, javelins, and daggers. Druids are restricted to wearing armor made only from leather, whether Leather or Leather Scale from AC 1, or Hide from AC 2. Druids may use any shape shield, so long as the largest dimension does not exceed 36”. Druid characters should be garbed in primarily woodland colors which are: green, brown, and black, and must wear a nature symbol to signify their character type.

I welcome questions, comments, and concerns :)
Looking for cosigners.
What say you good people of darkon?

Yours In Service,
Merideth Kelly
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Druid and Ranger woodland/neutral color definition

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-15

I believe someone is trying to remove "neutral colors"

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=854
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Keiori Night

If that removal proposal goes through then I need not propose mine :)
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-04-15

I like either. Either get rid of it or define it better. I would add grey and white,"tan"(though it's kind of a brown), but hey people like to nit-pick.

Keiori Night

Khaki is technically in the brown family, it is in the woodland AND a neutral color palate. What I'm trying to do is define the terms so that nit picking is at a minimum. It does nothing for the game as a whole to be arguing over colors that are not specifically defined in the class' requirements and it can easily confuse new members trying to choose a class.

For example the rule uses the word "Primarily" what is the ratio of primarily in an ensemble of costuming? I have on a green tunic, brown pants and my country surcoat which is pink and purple, my brown period shoes and a green hat, would this outfit qualify? Would the outfit of: white tunic, black pants and a green country surcoat, qualify for "primarily" woodland colors? There are just too many gray areas that need to be either defined or removed.

It would be benefit everyone to know exactly what the requirements are for their chosen class. It makes it easier for all members, especially new members.

I believe it is important to keep in mind the "New Player's Perspective" and try to see the rules how they would see them. It does the club no good for a new member, or potentially new member, to see players arguing over colors. It does not give the greatest first impression, and I believe that a good first impression is key to membership growth. New members should view Darkon as fun, entertaining, and enjoyable or they won't feel compelled to join and field regularly.
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-15

Co-signed this goes a long way towards opening up classes to new interpretations.

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2013-04-17

how would this work for people's whose country colors aren't those three colors?
jayjay
No Quarter!

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-04-17

You would use a neutral base, and add your logo to it. you could even go muted. So long as the majority of your costume is neutral, you're good.
regular:

muted:

CB does not use our "red piping" on our scout tabards, even though our tabards are already "primary neutral".

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-17

For the record, as far as I'm aware, surcoats have never counted against costume requirements, so there is little argument or issue there.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

I just like the flair.
In essence, you can wear your country colors, just don't wear pink wrap pants as a ranger/druid. mmkay?

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-04-17

Murph, now you are infringing on finger's fantasy!
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

http://splicd.com/A5HFk9IMSBg/13/15.5

Also: admin, can we enable youtube embed? [youtube][/youtube] in our BBcode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1G7TJD6Xu0

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-04-19

I think rules like this should be thrown out. Get rid of all the costume requirements that don't involve a game mechanic. Let people wear what they Want and things will be cool.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-04-20

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I think rules like this should be thrown out. Get rid of all the costume requirements that don't involve a game mechanic. Let people wear what they Want and things will be cool.

Well if that isn't a campaign hook, I don't know what is.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-20

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I think rules like this should be thrown out. Get rid of all the costume requirements that don't involve a game mechanic. Let people wear what they Want and things will be cool.

Make sure you (or someone you encourage on this) comes to senate whenever this is there:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=858

Keiori Night

Post by Keiori Night » 2013-04-22

I'm all for either: 1) defining it more or 2) removing it entirely. As it stands the rule is just silly and doesn't work, too much gray area.
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom