Land Actions, Senate and Noble Fights: Scheduling

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Thrush Svartehjertet

Land Actions, Senate and Noble Fights: Scheduling

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-22

Proposal:

Make land actions, Senate meetings and Noble fights every other event.

Reason:

A VERY substantial percentage of Darkon is off doing the above things rather than on the field playing Darkon. This has been consistant for a while now.

Pros:

-Slows map growth by 50% (discussed elsewhere as a problem)
-Gives us at least 1 day a month where everyone comes to play Darkon, not whatever their personal thing is they wanna do. No land searches, no wars, no noble fights, no senate meeting. Just Darkon, that day's scenario, and nothing else.
-Senators get to play, land marshal gets to play, the people setting up the ring every event get to play...

Cons:

?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Land Actions, Senate and Noble Fights: Scheduling

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-22

I agree, Spring and Fall noble tourneys should have 0 other actions slated for that day. Especially if 10 nobles wanna ring fight. I understand about this past event due to an emergency senate hearing but in the future, land actions should be suspended that day and no other side adventures should take place.

Next event is commoner's tourney, and i guarantee land actions will delay that as well. Plus there is another Noble fight with Bendore and Cailen I believe.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-04-22

Yup. I agree with Thrush.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-04-22

Yup. I agree with Thrush.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-22

I think halting/slowing land actions might actually work in the opposite way, as when wars go on, we tend to get more people flocking to the field for the wars... Then they stay for whatever else is going on.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-04-22

While I agree that this event was a little cluster-f like, there were a few factors that caused this,
including:

-the Land Marshal stepping down from his position and causing others (Lady Ether and I) to step up to make sure people got to their land actions and thusly starting 30 minutes later than usual

-and emergency senate meeting that absolutely could not have been planned for

I think that senate and tourneys together are a HUGE no-no, and going forward we should avoid doing so, but this time it was unavoidable.

I would have much rather been fighting all day than dealing with these things; I got to the park at 10am and got to fight exactly 2 times...
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-04-22

I would agree that halting land actions for tourneys is a good idea
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Post by Saris Fey-Branche » 2013-04-22

The people who want to watch the noble fights will go watch the noble fights. The people who want to go fight two teams will go fight two teams. They were going on for the entire duration of the noble fights.

I prefer two teams to noble fights, so I didn't pay much attention to them except when V was fighting. I prefer war to two teams because of the level of personal/collective investment and roleplaying involved. I never really enjoyed land searches, but many countries seem to get a kick out of them so they shouldn't be deprived of that fun just because others would prefer they be out fighting in two teams.

The senate was an emergency session and should not be considered as an example of what would take place at an average Darkon event.
Chosen Blood Officer

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-22

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:I think halting/slowing land actions might actually work in the opposite way, as when wars go on, we tend to get more people flocking to the field for the wars... Then they stay for whatever else is going on.

They do? At the big land war at Burtonsville where I ran the Goat battle in the woods, about 25% came over and fought. The rest stood around talking.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-04-23

fingers630 wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:I think halting/slowing land actions might actually work in the opposite way, as when wars go on, we tend to get more people flocking to the field for the wars... Then they stay for whatever else is going on.

They do? At the big land war at Burtonsville where I ran the Goat battle in the woods, about 25% came over and fought. The rest stood around talking.

They come to fight in the war.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-23

So, cosign anyone? I don't see a problem yet with having all these things every other event. And hell, noble fights don't generally take too many people away for too long, honestly. You watch your friend fight for between 15 and 40 minutes... done. I'd be flexible on just saying "land actions and senate are every other event". Thoughts?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

PadreCaedes
Darkonian

Post by PadreCaedes » 2013-04-23

I say thee, nay.
Warmaster Caedes, Kinslayer
Knight of Ched Nasad
Patron Father of House LeDouche

High Priest of Ched Nasad
Vicar of the Church of Khorne
Steward of NorthHold
House Ledouche: "We Bow to No Man...Because We Can't"

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-23

fingers630 wrote:

There is a pretty large group of people who simply don't like fighting in those woods, and you weren't going to get them to come in there and fight.

But if you look at other events with wars, yeah, you get them to fight. Crown War brought people out who fought before and after it.

The first Oregon Ridge event the other year had a boat battle between NM and Nurgle and tons of old Mordomians came out and fought for the rest of the day.

Thrush Svartehjertet

I think you over estimate the positive effects wars have on day battles. They are good for Darkon's bottom line, not for getting to play whatever is planned for that day.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-23

Exactly. it aint just the woods. There are lots of people that come out, fight in war, then geez on the sidelines for an hour or two before going to Denny's. I dont have a problem with it, just dont piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

There was a ton of people in the last war at Burtonsville. My Kraken mod fight was about 25 vs 25 tops.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Yup. So, Fingers are you cosigning?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

HRH Malkin
Knight of the Realm

Post by HRH Malkin » 2013-04-23

This past Sunday... people basically stood around for hours before the event.

ANYONE could have gotten out there and started fighting, but people were happy to sit and watch nothing happen. If you want more fighting... fight more.

I love the idea Thrush, but I don't think it is a good idea to styme Senate like that. Certain issues pop up (like this Arioch thing) after we've put a no Senate rule in the books for half the events and then we're playing catch-up for the rest of the year... that is bad for the club.

I do like the idea of a full day of nothing but fighting day... Maybe we designate two battle sundays each year for this where fighting starts RIGHT AFTER YOU CHECK IN (Normal Battle rules only, no Senate, no land events). And we run two teams and country battles all day long...

You already have several weekends that are basically gone do to camp outs. So making two days of the year "Battle only day" I would support... but not half... imo that's doesn't allow enough for Senate and Wars. But I very much like the idea of it.

Thrush Svartehjertet

You don't think that the insistance on senate being every event has led to more rules changes in the last 8 years or so? I think senate has begun playing it's own game more than it used to. But that can be another discussion.

By the way, just so everyone knows my stance, when I got suspended it was the EB who suspended me. There was no senate meeting for my defense, the realm didnt have a say in it... Darkon has a long history of hypocrisy.

I think if there is a safety related, emergency need for a senate meeting, one could do that, even if it were not on the schedule. Or is that too nebulous some how? Safety first, right?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-23

I dont think we need to limit senate or land actions to every other event. We have a standing number of Senate days, which is fine. We have 2 "Noble" tourney Days, one spring, one fall, which again is also fine.

What I think is that we should propose is:

There will be no land actions on Spring Tourney Event or Fall Tourney event. Then NOT schedule a Senate meeting on either of those 2 events, and we should be fine. As stated, special circumstances for Senate like a banned player or whatever is fine, it shouldnt happen on a regular basis right?

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-04-23

Consign fingers prop, which doesn't need to be a prop... BoD just has ta said this is how it is.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-04-24

HRH Malkin wrote:I do like the idea of a full day of nothing but fighting day... Maybe we designate two battle sundays each year for this where fighting starts RIGHT AFTER YOU CHECK IN (Normal Battle rules only, no Senate, no land events). And we run two teams and country battles all day long...

It's called Bellum. Camp outs. We already have had up to 3 events a year that we missed our land actions (to be made-up).
(not in response to Malkin's post, after this point)
Or better yet, if you don't want to take part in land actions... DON'T . Please don't try and push the game into less "map oriented" play because it harshes your 2 teams. Forcing other players to half their land actions because you want the 2 teams to be fuller isn't the right way to go. Maybe try influencing the people to STAY and FIGHT after land actions?

I show up before 12, typically serve in at least one of the marshal lines, 2 team a little, cease when my action is on deck, action, then if I don't get wrangled into some kind of in-game duty, I will 2team or mod until it's time to call it a wrap. I have a fun day of it. I would love to see more people in the 2 teams, but killing land actions won't get them there.

I WOULD cosign on having land actions postponed on tourney days. There is NO reason to drop land actions at all, and we avoid scheduling senate when there's another event... but well, sometimes it has to happen.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-04-24

Valfryn makes an excellent point.

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:By the way, just so everyone knows my stance, when I got suspended it was the EB who suspended me. There was no senate meeting for my defense, the realm didnt have a say in it... Darkon has a long history of hypocrisy.

How's that Persecution Complex workin' out for ya, Thrush? ;) The Bylaws have changed--that doesn't automatically make it hypocrisy because it was handled (or not handled) differently in the past. I don't think anyone who was in the game when you were suspended thinks about it any more. It certainly didn't keep you from being made a Master of the Raven & Stag!
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-24

I never knew he was suspended. Why did we let him back?

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-04-25

It was back in 'nam, there was a ied made by the nazis to frame the FO's at a campout... But Thrush jumped on the cross for punishment by the EB. SOME SAY IT WAS A WITCH HUNT, others think it was a gas pocket... Either way thrush Manned up took the punch, and only bitched alittle...
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...