Proposal - Blockades

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Lady Ether

Proposal - Blockades

Post by Lady Ether » 2013-05-08

Note: There are two versions here. If either version passes this would go into effect on 9/21/2013 – outstanding blockades and charges for blockades would remain until the equinox. Changes are underlined.

Blockades
Current Rule:
Countries may create a ‘blockade’ with a proper, written declaration to the Land Marshal one turn in advance. To create a blockade, a County must sail a Frigate or a Man O’ War to the desired sea hex, no further than 6 hexes from one of the country’s own coastal hexes. While the blockade is in place, the blockading ship must remain stationary, any movement of the blockading ship will render the blockade null and the country must re‐declare its desire to blockade the hex in question.

A blockade costs 100 silver pieces per turn. While a ship is blockading a hex, any attempts to pass through the blockade are considered an Offense Land Action and the blockading country may engage in a Defensive Land Action in defense of the blockade.
Additionally, the blockading ship may choose to intercept any ship seeking passage as a Defensive Land Action. All other rules for normal ship battles apply.

New Rule Version 1:
Countries may create a ‘blockade’ with a proper, written declaration to the Land Marshal prior to the vernal/autumnal equinoxes. To create a blockade, a County must sail a Frigate or a Man O’ War to the desired sea hex, no further than 6 hexes from one of the country’s own coastal hexes. While the blockade is in place, the blockading ship must remain stationary, any movement of the blockading ship will render the blockade null and the country must re‐declare its desire to blockade the hex in question starting at the next applicable equinox. Blockades go into effect on the vernal/autumnal equinoxes.

A blockade costs 1,500 silver pieces per ship/hex per season. While a ship is blockading a hex, any attempts to pass through the blockade are considered an Offense Land Action and the blockading country may engage in a Defensive Land Action in defense of the blockade without breaking the blockade. A country may also allow a ship to pass through the blockade without breaking the blockade. All other rules for normal ship battles apply.

New Rule Version 2:
Countries may create a ‘blockade’ with a proper, written declaration to the Land Marshal. To create a blockade, a County must sail a Frigate or a Man O’ War to the desired sea hex, no further than 6 hexes from one of the country’s own coastal hexes. While the blockade is in place, the blockading ship must remain stationary, any movement of the blockading ship will render the blockade null and the country must re‐declare its desire to blockade the hex in question. Ships involved in a blockade do not earn seasonal income for the equinox if they are involved in a blockade at any time during the season.

A blockade costs 1,500 silver pieces per ship/hex upon declaration and each subsequent seasonal equinox. While a ship is blockading a hex, any attempts to pass through the blockade are considered an Offense Land Action and the blockading country may engage in a Defensive Land Action in defense of the blockade without breaking the blockade. A country may also allow a ship to pass through the blockade without breaking the blockade. All other rules for normal ship battles apply.

This would go into effect on 9/21/2013 – outstanding blockades and charges for blockades would remain until the equinox.

Rationale:
This is a documentation issue. By changing the way that blockades are paid for – this will assist the land marshal with charging countries for blockades (this has been sporadic in the past). By changing the way/timeframe that blockades are declared – this requires the countries with blockades to make sure that they do not move any of their boats that are in a blockade or risk the blockade breaking and being unable to reset for months or they have to pay for it again.

This will increase the cost of blockades – but since there are several long standing blockades in the game – this is probably a good thing. A larger/longer blockade could become cost prohibitive for many countries – and help deplete the coffers of the older/long standing countries.

Version 1:
Pro: Ships in blockades get earnings.
Con: Only can declare on the season – if it’s broken – it remains broken at that hex until the next season.

Version 2:
Pro: Countries can redeclare (and re-pay for) blockades during the season.
Con: They do not get earnings on any ships in a blockade.
Countess Ether Angelline of Elidor
Mistress of the Stag

Lady Ether

Re: Proposal - Blockades

Post by Lady Ether » 2013-06-18

Okay - Another thought since that one isn't popular:)

Proposal:

Remove "Blockades" from rule book

Rationale: Removes unnecessary recordkeeping from the land marshal job/database/map/etc. Honestly - this RARELY comes up and is just a time/recordkeeping drag on the land marshal.

Currently if a country has a stationary boat in an ocean hex and a second country moves through that same hex - both countries are informed about the meeting and the countries get to determine whether or not to attack. THIS WOULD NOT CHANGE!! If the stationary boat is not in a blockade - an attack would count as both countries offensive actions. (NO CHANGE)

The change: Currently, if the stationary boat is in a blockade and an attack happens - the stationary boat country can use a defensive instead of offensive action to attack the moving boat. This would no longer be the case.

Any boat battles would be considered the offensive actions of both countries involved.
Mistress of the Stag

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-06-18

So if I'm reading this right (correct me if I'm not), if a nation has a blockade, and is also at war:
They would have to choose to give up their invasion against their primary target to fight the boat, OR let
the enemy boat pass? Since they cannot make two offensive actions?

Not sure if I dig that.

If you're trying to pass through a blockade, the blockade (stationary) should count as defensive. No different than a land hex that I own and an enemy trying to move through it. If they want to come through without my "permission" then their action is an invasion.

Lady Ether

Post by Lady Ether » 2013-06-18

Valfryn - Yes you are reading that right.

Blockades have NEVER been recordkept correctly and are a pain in the a$$ for the land marshal. I posted two options to clean up the blockades recordkeeping with no responses/suggestions. So I'm offering a third option to clean up the blockades - which is get rid of them.
Mistress of the Stag

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-06-18

I like the first one.
I'l co sign and we will see what the game thinks.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-06-18

I don't like either of these ideas as they are.

I prefer the idea of being able to move and declare blockades as you will. And that boats earn income while in a blockade. If you want to up the cost per event, or charge the full price for a season when the blockade is declared that's fine. It's really make moving blockades expensive, but everyone has plenty of cash anyway.

I hate the idea of doing away with a blockade
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-06-20

It's a relatively cool mechanic.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-06-21

I like Version 1. Cosigned.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2013-06-21

When I think of blockades, I think of the Total War style blockade, where you can block another country's port and "pirate" gold from that trade route.

That being said, having the capability of blockading a sea route seems relevant and a useful map mechanism during war time. Seems overkill to get rid of them. The record keeping part of it seems more like a problem with our record keeping than it does with the blockades themselves. Perhaps there is some sort of plugin that can be added to the map software that would allow for blockades to be tracked better?

jacob374

Post by jacob374 » 2013-10-11

the stationary boat country can use a defensive instead of offensive action to attack the moving boat. This would no longer be the case. Currently, if the stationary boat is in a blockade and an attack happens -

leather motorcycle trousers leather motorcycle trousers 642-648 dumps 642-648 dumps
ibraindumps ibraindumps.org mens leather jackets mens leather jackets