Proposal currently in playtest. Javelins

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Proposal currently in playtest. Javelins

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-06-20

Darkon Javelin Proposal

CURRENT RULE:
Javelin (Red, missile weapon)
A javelin must be between 4’ and 5’ in length. The core of a javelin must be made of 1⁄2” thick PVC pipe or hollow fiberglass. A PVC cap, no rebar, must be securely fastened to both ends of the shaft. The entire core of a javelin must be padded with clima‐tubing, or similar hard cell foam. This padding must be glued to the core. Once padded, the shaft of a javelin must have a diameter of at least 2”. The padded shaft must then be covered with duct tape applied lengthwise.
The head of a javelin must be constructed with uncompacted soft cell foam and measure 4” in diameter and 3” in thickness. There must also be a 4” in diameter and 1” thick layer of hard cell foam between the head and the shaft javelin.
The entire head of the javelin must be covered in red cloth. The pommel of a javelin must be constructed with uncompacted soft cell foam and measure 3” in diameter and 2” in thickness. There must also be a 3” in diameter and 1” thick layer of hard cell foam between the pommel and the javelin shaft. The pommel must be covered with black, brown, or gray cloth. A javelin must be marked with blue tape on the shaft to signify that it is a throwing weapon.
Weapon Marshal may cut into a Javelin to ensure proper, safe construction. Note: A javelin is a throwing only weapon. It cannot be used to thrust or parry.

PROPOSED RULE:
Javelin (Red, missile weapon)
Javelins are between 4’ and 5’ in length. The core of a javelin must be ½” nominal pipe size PVC pipe, or hollow fiberglass of no greater than ¾” outer diameter. Thick leather and/or PVC pipe caps must be securely fastened to both ends of the core.
To make the javelin shaft, the entire core must be padded with Climatube or other closed cell foam. This foam must be glued to the core.
The head of a javelin must be constructed with uncompacted soft cell foam and measure 3” in diameter. There must also be a 3” in diameter and 1” thick layer of closed cell foam between the head and the capped javelin core. The entire head of the javelin must be covered in red, grey, or brown cloth.
The pommel of a javelin must be at least 2” in diameter. The pommel must be covered with black, brown, or gray cloth. The throwing end should be clearly discernible from the pommel, if unclear the weapon will fail inspection.
A Weapon Marshal may cut into a Javelin to ensure proper, safe construction.
A javelin is a throwing only weapon. It cannot be used to thrust or parry.

Rationale: The current specs for the weapon make it hard to use, carry and it looks horrible. This proposal will make the javelin have a clear striking surface, and a clear pommel. This will prevent the throwing of backwards javelins. The reduced size of the javelin with help with weight, which will improve throwing distance and the ability to carry them. The weight reduction will also help with the accidental face shots and lessen the blow a bit.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

TitusV
Darkonian

Re: Proposal currently in playtest. Javelins

Post by TitusV » 2013-06-20

Sounds like the proposal is for allowing Dagorhir style javelins. I'm ok with it. I think they fly better.

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2013-06-21

I have no problems with the measurement parts.

I do have a problem with removing the red covered head requirement. That is there so new people know which end to throw, and also so vets can easily see which end to throw. Dagorhir has the same requirement, albeit a different color. It is in both games for a reason. I dont want to see the playtesting continue unless the color of the head is resolved.

Also, the Alric made javelins Thrush linked on another section of the boards would fail with these rules, being as how they are made with solid fiberglass cores. Just something to remember.

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-06-22

If solid cores are going to be allowed, I would only allow up to half inch. Also, its not hard to figure out what end to throw. Its the big end. If you can't tell that, you should not throw them. Another thing is that you can actually put silver heads on javs, instead of some weird shaft stuff.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-06-22

Solid fiberglass is not an issue with me, really. Again- 1/2 inch shouldn't be a biggy

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-06-23

I would like to point out that the noble council has already ruled that javelin covers must be red. This is a safety ruling, so there can be no mistake as to which end to throw. If your current javelin heads are not red, you are technically breaking the rules.

Nurgle used to have gray/silver covered javelin heads which we were made to remove and recover using red.
We have to write "silver" down the shaft to indicate silvered javelins.

Please ammend your proposal to reflect this safety ruling. and change the verbiage from (3") to (3"+)
The way your proposal reads the diameter must be 3 inches, making any javelins with heads that are larger in diameter than 3 inches illegal. That'll invalidate alot of javelins, and force a huge number of players to rebuild.

With the above changes I'll cosign
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-06-23

I always though silver jav heads should be half silver, half red. writing silver on the shaft looks like garbage.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-06-24

Or use silver tape at the base of the head.. that works

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-06-24

the entire shaft is coated with standard duct tape. Its silverish enough that you wouldn't be able to discern the silver tape.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-07-02

The NC said it was cool to put cloth tape on the javelins. The whole point of the head/pommel difference is so you can put a silver head on it. The NC saw this before any of you, and there were no complaints about safety for the jav head at that time. Also, the rules say currently that jav heads must be 4in, but ones above that still pass.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~