Who has oversight of the NC?

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Who has oversight of the NC?

Post by Snudge » 2014-02-07

Who oversees the NC to prevent their ability to abuse their position?
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Who has oversight of the NC?

Post by fingers630 » 2014-02-07

Looks like the VP sits as Chair for their meetings. Senate and the Board have some power in regards to infractions by players and such. What sort of abuse did you have in mind? It looks like the only thing the NC does in addition to being "all the time elders" is police safety of the club and rules breakers.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2014-02-07

nothing specific, nor do I have any examples. Was just reading over the rules and it struck me that there's really nothing in the rules about oversight of the NC in either the rules or the bylaws. Was curious, like do nobles even have a code of conduct beyond the normal ruleset?

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-02-07

Yeah, the NC doesn't have any real power other than in implementing safety regulations, the language of which still has to pass through Senate. The NC merely recommends suspensions for safety & hit taking issues--the Board suspends players. The Senate upholds suspensions.

The NC can vote to remove a member, and then a supermajority of Senate confirms it. Also, any Noble suspended would have his status reviewed by the Board & NC under the bylaws. Any Noble kicked out would automatically lose that status.

Nobles are also not immune to being on the Watch List, or otherwise being reviewed or censured by the NC.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2014-02-08

Article V, number 6 seems to disagree with you Inox. In fact the only senate oversight is when the NC approves a new weapon type.

I haven't seen or heard of any issues, but this seems like its a dangerous situation given how the language of the bylaws goes. Part of my concern is also that the NC makes discipline recommendations to the EB, but when the EB is composed entirely of Nobles it becomes potentially problematic. Effectively there is nothing stopping the NC from making a discipline decision based on a dislike of a person then the EB just rubber stamping it when both are an all noble body. Let me reiterate that I've not seen or heard of this. Its just a hypothetical, but it does worry me and you guys all know I'm a worrier

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-02-08

Isnt that the same issue you could have with the EB in other aspects? Say all 1 country is on the EB, they don't like a proposal so they kill it when it passes senate. or say the EB consists of a boyfriend/girlfriend and their cousin. There are 3 votes already swayed in 1 direction voting for something.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2014-02-10

I do worry about that, but there is alot more transparency in terms of the EB than with the NC. In regards to being able to get records and such. I put up a proposal that I think covers things nicely, we can move this discussion there since this isn't a question anymore now that I've gotten a decent answer

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2014-02-10

Snudge wrote:Article V, number 6 seems to disagree with you Inox. In fact the only senate oversight is when the NC approves a new weapon type.

I haven't seen or heard of any issues, but this seems like its a dangerous situation given how the language of the bylaws goes. Part of my concern is also that the NC makes discipline recommendations to the EB, but when the EB is composed entirely of Nobles it becomes potentially problematic. Effectively there is nothing stopping the NC from making a discipline decision based on a dislike of a person then the EB just rubber stamping it when both are an all noble body. Let me reiterate that I've not seen or heard of this. Its just a hypothetical, but it does worry me and you guys all know I'm a worrier

Which was never an issue when NC members couldn't vote in senate. Now that they can vote in senate, they could actually run the entire game without insight from others.

Is that going to happen? Not likely, but a dubious group in the future could do it.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2014-02-10

fingers630 wrote:Say all 1 country is on the EB, they don't like a proposal so they kill it when it passes senate. or say the EB consists of a boyfriend/girlfriend and their cousin. There are 3 votes already swayed in 1 direction voting for something.

See: Elidor and the "Necromancer class" :P

(...which was actually just a terrible idea, as well.)

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-02-10

God damned Elidor. They ruin everything! (including the Rogue class as well!)