Quarterstaffs

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
BaiterofBAMC
Darkonian

Quarterstaffs

Post by BaiterofBAMC » 2012-03-05

Why is there a restriction on stabbing tips on quarter staffs? It seems oddly restrictive. The only reason I've heard of was that since people will store staves vertically then one side of foam would degrade and not be hit legal.

That doesn't really make any sense at all, if the weapon is unsafe, then it's unsafe. Honestly I think it's an unsafer proposition to have only one side stabbing and one not.

Alzarahn
Darkonian

Re: Quarterstaffs

Post by Alzarahn » 2012-03-05

Yeah the same happens with swords too, you should ideally keep them on the flat sides. But I agree, I've thought the same thing before.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-03-05

There is an old rule on double-ended weapons in general, mainly due to an early plague of double-ended spears.

In my opinion, this dates from an era when such tech was hard to manage safely, and I think the NC should revisit the issue, at least for quarterstaves.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-03-05

-Inox- wrote:There is an old rule on double-ended weapons in general, mainly due to an early plague of double-ended spears.

In my opinion, this dates from an era when such tech was hard to manage safely, and I think the NC should revisit the issue, at least for quarterstaves.

I agree with this.

I can see a problem with a double-ended spear - stabbing behind you could be unsafe. You could accidentally swing it or hit somebody with the shaft, easily. On the other hand, a staff is padded, so that would make no difference.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-03-05

Also, if there is a worry for game balance, and 2 sides able of stabbing...well it's yellow damage. No biggy to me, either.

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-03-06

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
-Inox- wrote:There is an old rule on double-ended weapons in general, mainly due to an early plague of double-ended spears.

I agree with this.

I can see a problem with a double-ended spear - stabbing behind you could be unsafe. You could accidentally swing it or hit somebody with the shaft, easily. On the other hand, a staff is padded, so that would make no difference.

I as well think this would be a good rule to revisit. I think the games needs some more fantasy like weapons, and adding some double end weapon would fill this gap.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-03-06

God forbid it might encourage someone to actually field with a quarterstaff!
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-07

Ill be fielding with one Sunday as i do when I play mah mage :)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

HRH Malkin
Knight of the Realm

Post by HRH Malkin » 2012-03-17

It won't. Adding an extra thrusting end will do nothing to make that weapon any more effective in the game.

The rationale for not having double stabby wasn't the deterioration of the tips or the construction, but the game play.

As long as I have been on the NC the rationale has always been that we didn't want reverse thrusts added as a legitimate tactic. The idea that having many folks thrusting back and forth in a skirmish might be dangerous and people envision someone jumping into the fray and thrusting wildly in all directions and elbow flying all over the place... Not sure if that's a rational fear or rethrustphobia... but I believe it to be the reason we don't allow top and bottom thrusting. Somehow I thought that the quarter staff was the exception to this for some crazy reason... but I guess not... otherwise you guys wouldn't be talking about it...

Honestly, if allowed, I doubt it would do much for a quarterstaff. They are... for all intents and purposes... worthless. A max length two handed white sword is a far superior weapon. It'd be nice if we could somehow beef the quarterstaff up with a spell or something... Like shield break on one hit... LOL. I am totally kidding there... but perhaps something to make mages think about using a staff...

Maybe an enhanced magic effect... like spell point generation... 1/2, 1, or 2 points every 1/2 hour (depending upon level 1 -10/11-20/21+) if the mage keeps and holds of his staff (letting go only to cast spells), and if the Mage carries and uses no other weapon during said time period.

If you make it enticing enough Mages will start trying to use a staff... especially towards the tail end of an adventure...LOL.

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-03-17

I dunno, you can make it 6 and a half feet long and essentially make it into a yellow glaive. That is something iI have seen more than a few tines. Nobody is saying they're awesome weapons, but they're not completely worthless.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-03-17

Malkin, youre onto something. Wizard staff would be nice.

That way, we can reward wizards who play the role. Couple that with the wizard robe, and we're onto something awesome. At lv 20: wizard beard/hat

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-17

Honestly Ive always used mine to block with, and then throw a surprise stabby yellow out.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-03-18

no one uses these much in any foam fighting game. the problem comes down to no head shots or foot shots, which is what a real staff's best shots are.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-03-19

HRH Malkin wrote:

It won't. Adding an extra thrusting end will do nothing to make that weapon any more effective in the game.

The rationale for not having double stabby wasn't the deterioration of the tips or the construction, but the game play.

As long as I have been on the NC the rationale has always been that we didn't want reverse thrusts added as a legitimate tactic. The idea that having many folks thrusting back and forth in a skirmish might be dangerous and people envision someone jumping into the fray and thrusting wildly in all directions and elbow flying all over the place... Not sure if that's a rational fear or rethrustphobia... but I believe it to be the reason we don't allow top and bottom thrusting. Somehow I thought that the quarter staff was the exception to this for some crazy reason... but I guess not... otherwise you guys wouldn't be talking about it...

Can't I just turn the thing around and reverse thrust now? Where's the rule preventing this in the first place? It's not that I don't agree, having some idiot thrusting back and forth is dumb and dangerous, but there's nothing to stop him from reverse thrusting today with spears or quarterstaves if he wants to.

Don't we have examples of safe things with exceptions already? Shields are ok to bash with unless someone's on their knees, morningstar is safe to the head but not the face, you can wear armor but don't grapple someone in lesser armor, etc. This would just be one more of those exceptions. You can have a double stabby staff, just don't thrust back and forth like a crazy person trying to get out of a straightjacket.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-03-19

I don't think its a big woop. The only thing I see is a greater likelihood of "blind techniques". Right now, all of our weapons involve turning about, or turning the weapon about and stabbing. A double ended weapon allows you to jab backwards without even looking.

I personally dont see this as an issue, because it's easy enough to see who's playing like a considerate player and who is playing like "star wars kid". You tell the star wars kid "stop it".

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-03-19

HRH Malkin wrote:If you make it enticing enough Mages will start trying to use a staff... especially towards the tail end of an adventure...LOL.

Make it so that the staff must be decorated with arcane symbols or otherwise obviously done up as a magical staff (perhaps via plasti-dip).

Make it immune to Warp Wood & other methods of destruction.

Allow a caster to hold it aloft in lieu of a spellbook to cast any spell already fully memorized by the caster.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-03-19

That would be awesome^
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

HRH Malkin
Knight of the Realm

Post by HRH Malkin » 2012-03-19

Might get into some cheese... as far as word counts go... It's tough to watch people reading from a book... damned near impossible to say that they're follwing it word for word... but it can be done... It would be totally impossible to listen to someone running down a spell at 12 words a second.

You could quiz them on the spell later... but nothing says the aren't skipping words in the fray. Of course you could argue the same for spell points... cool idea though... I like the staff vs. the book. Maybe have a cap on the level you can put to memory with a staff based on the caster's level...

sounds doable...

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-03-19

The new amt rulebook coming out has a nifty thing in it called "look the part". It pretty much gives the player a little something extra for looking awesome that is small and imbalancing, but gives a bit of flavor. I think the staff thing would be legit.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-03-19

Allow a caster to hold it aloft in lieu of a spellbook to cast fireball, already fully memorized by the caster, and throw it at Inox.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-03-20

This^ +1000
Live for the slaughter