"Adventure Only"

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Guy The Bloodied

"Adventure Only"

Post by Guy The Bloodied » 2012-03-06

This has probably been brought up long ago on the DUMB, but why are there skills that are deemed "Adventure Only"? Would there be a terrible balance issue if all classes were able to use any of their skills at any event?

As always, just curious.
Guy LeDouche the Bloodied
Chosen Warboss of Ched Nasad
Chaos Monk of Khorne
Matron Mother of House LeDouche
"We kneel to no man...because we can't"

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Re: "Adventure Only"

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-03-06

I have often wondered what the harm would be in me throwing Turn Undead at someone during two teams.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-03-06

Well, no one knows for sure. That is why we have designated so many days as 'adventure days' so all skills are usable.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-03-06

I only could see a balance issue for a war action, really.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

BaiterofBAMC
Darkonian

Post by BaiterofBAMC » 2012-03-06

A spell like growth would be a pain in the ass on regular battle days. I think the separation is to help limit the complexity for new people to assimilate.

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-03-06

Adventure spells complicate quick and fun two teams and other field battles. Pouch, Prayer Touch, the former Time Stop, Giant Growth, Gaseous Form...let alone Assassinate.

We at least get to keep the majority of our magic and class system for all events. In Amtgard for example their class and spell rules are so cumbersome and powerful they don't even use them for the majority of what they do. It's like two separate games and cultures.

What makes Darkon great is our spell and class system is manageable enough that we can use most all of our class defining abilities all the time. I think it's been a good call that the more cumbersome and powerful abilities have been reserved for adventures, it makes good sense.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-03-06

Yeah, what Sir Caetrel said. :D

The spells and skills he mentioned have disproportionate effects. Others, like Immunity to Disease, Detect Traps, or Light, just don't come up during day battles.

In my opinion, that means we should dial the overpowering ones back, and then just have one set of abilities all the time.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

How would one dial-back "Gaseous Form"? It's already so simple.

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-03-06

-Inox- wrote:, or Light,

but what about Light sabers?
jayjay
No Quarter!

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-03-06

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:How would one dial-back "Gaseous Form"? It's already so simple.

Simple isn't the issue. Time Stop was simple, too.

The issue with Gaseous at normal events is that some people like to get into Gaseous at the start of every battle and follow people around in nigh invulnerable form, waiting to suddenly grapple, get a free set of stabs, etc.

Make it last less time (say 30 seconds). Problem solved. It's still useful for getting out of a bind, but it's not something people can wander around in at length.

Disguise? Make it so that you cannot pretend to be a member of a country you are not in (much like we removed the ability to impersonate specific people...yes, that existed). Then, it becomes useful in simply either keeping people from finding you or knowing that you did a specific thing.

Growth? Change it so that it now allows you to stand vs. giant-class opponents, and that's it. No one has to get on their knees if there aren't actual giant-class foes present.

Make any spell that holds a spell (Pouch, Prayer Touch, Magic Stone) only usable on spells of 5th rank or below.

Assassinate would have to change as well, but I am not going to open that can of worms in this post. :D
Beast of BABALON

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

-Inox- wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:How would one dial-back "Gaseous Form"? It's already so simple.

Simple isn't the issue. Time Stop was simple, too.

The issue with Gaseous at normal events is that some people like to get into Gaseous at the start of every battle and follow people around in nigh invulnerable form, waiting to suddenly grapple, get a free set of stabs, etc.

Make it last less time (say 30 seconds). Problem solved. It's still useful for getting out of a bind, but it's not something people can wander around in at length.

Disguise? Make it so that you cannot pretend to be a member of a country you are not in (much like we removed the ability to impersonate specific people...yes, that existed). Then, it becomes useful in simply either keeping people from finding you or knowing that you did a specific thing.

Yeaaaaah. I'm going to have to go with "no" for both of those. They completely hinder an interesting use of the ability and radically alter them in a way that makes them pretty useless. What is the payoff? Using them at day battles? Not worth it.

Make any spell that holds a spell (Pouch, Prayer Touch, Magic Stone) only usable on spells of 5th rank or below.

Yeah, again, that radically changes a lot of cool ways people have to play with their sells now.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-06

Make it so that you cannot pretend to be a member of a country you are not in

This is the worst thing Ive ever heard =P
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-03-06

fingers630 wrote:Make it so that you cannot pretend to be a member of a country you are not in

You may be joking but I think it is the DUMBEST thing Inox has ever said.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-07

Well I was being nice, but yes. Would make the skill useless.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-03-07

Perhaps what he was getting at was to allow Thieves & Assassins to up-armor to AR2, since their two-team skills are pretty limited (Backstab, Loot).
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-03-07

Hey backstab is a pretty good two-team ability. Sometimes I wish I actually fielded my sketchy to use it because I tend to fight that way anyway. And also wayyyyyyyyyyy no on this "dial-back" idea. That's uh...silly to say the least.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-08

I support the Giant Growth change and suggested it months ago :)

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-03-08

I too support the growth change and Said it days before that fingers guy suggested it.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-03-08

fingers630 wrote:I support the Giant Growth change and suggested it months ago :)

So how would you then change growth to still give the player using growth an advantage of being taller?

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

He stole my idea [;)>
Make it so the Mage can use it on himself or another guy to make them be able to fight la giants standing up, but not forcing the pc to "kneel before" the enchanted PC.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-08

Correct. I think Cort and I both thought of it the same time, however he posted it before I did, as I was out picking up chicks and he was in the dungeons of his house, with his D&D books and mountain dew ;)

growth would make the player not have to get on their knees vs giants, that is it. no more forcing others onto their knees.

by the way, while we are on the topic, there is nothing written that states you may stand up if a "Giant" gets on their knees. that is just something darkonians started doing, and people accepted it.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-03-08

Lord Dubh wrote:
fingers630 wrote:Make it so that you cannot pretend to be a member of a country you are not in

You may be joking but I think it is the DUMBEST thing Inox has ever said.

So much for courtesy on the boards.

Anyhow, I don't see why Disguise needs to be used to impersonate country members to be useful.

Right now, say I had an Assassin. I could Disguise myself as a generic Fighter or what-have-you, and when I made my hit, there could be no witnesses that *I* did it. Even if I die, there is no mechanism in the game for removing Disguise (except perhaps some illegal metagaming).

Plus, after my hit, I could Disguise as a random merchant, and no one looking for that Fighter would ever find me, even if they figured out *I* was in Disguise (which is pretty easy to prevent). Plus, had I been Disguised the entire time, people would later not even have seen me on that Adventure or what not, making me a difficult point of investigation.

You can't tell me that's not already pretty significantly powerful used in that way.

I don't see impersonating country members as much different than the old (and incredibly silly) practice of impersonating specific people. With countries like the Forgotten Ones, which were WYSIWYG members, how exactly is a person supposed to pretend to be a mystery member?

It also seems to give an advantage to Retinues & Guilds, as those are one-for-one, and no Disguise efforts are really possible.
Beast of BABALON

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-03-08

Actually, House Dubh's description on the wiki includes allowances for disguising yourself as a House member. http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... _Fair_Play:
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-03-08

I've never played a mage, not even on tv, have no great love for mages, have no dog in this race etc...But what exactly is wrong with Giant Growth as is? Feel unsafe, or uncomfortable, or annoying?

If the idea is to make everything "battle" spells, and you change GG to only stand in the presence of giants, you are by default making it adventure only. Because only on adventures will you have giant NPCs, and I suppose land searches. So effectively it is just a nerf to the ability without any other real benefit to streamlining the rules. I just don't believe in nerfs unless absolutely necessary. There is a great deal of countermeasure and counterbalance in Darkon.

Mages go a long way towards countering other mages. So instead of nerfing mages, why not recruit some into your country? Nerfing abilities will just decrease the population of that class and push us closer to being like some of these other foam fighting games.

Lots of things give an advantage in Darkon. Armor, good stab tips, spells, sheer numbers. My suggestion: big countries with lots of armor, lots of stab tips, lots of casters. We're better off improving ourselves than taking away from others. Or is a giant Fingers really that scary?

I do think there is some merit in the sustenance ideas being discussed elsewhere...so long as the flavor and potence of spells remain in the game.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Buddy you missed out on the, I think 50 some pages of posts about GG on the DUMB.

people's lives were threatened and it came to a draw due to the creation of this set of boards. But our friend Inox can enlighten ya on why he and others wanted GG removed from the game.

A lot disagreed with him, but many felt their knees could be saved due to its removal.

Let the debates begin....
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...