"Adventure Only"

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Re: "Adventure Only"

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-03-08

Sir Caetrel wrote:Mages go a long way towards countering other mages. So instead of nerfing mages, why not recruit some into your country? Nerfing abilities will just decrease the population of that class and push us closer to being like some of these other foam fighting games.

This is why I didn't get the argument... Because you can counter it so easily. You only need, what, a fifth level mage? About the same level druid or warrior mage? They can all cast dispel - then the giant growth is gone.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-03-08

-Inox- wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:How would one dial-back "Gaseous Form"? It's already so simple.

Simple isn't the issue. Time Stop was simple, too.

The issue with Gaseous at normal events is that some people like to get into Gaseous at the start of every battle and follow people around in nigh invulnerable form, waiting to suddenly grapple, get a free set of stabs, etc.

Make it last less time (say 30 seconds). Problem solved. It's still useful for getting out of a bind, but it's not something people can wander around in at length.

Disguise? Make it so that you cannot pretend to be a member of a country you are not in (much like we removed the ability to impersonate specific people...yes, that existed). Then, it becomes useful in simply either keeping people from finding you or knowing that you did a specific thing.

Growth? Change it so that it now allows you to stand vs. giant-class opponents, and that's it. No one has to get on their knees if there aren't actual giant-class foes present.

Make any spell that holds a spell (Pouch, Prayer Touch, Magic Stone) only usable on spells of 5th rank or below.

Assassinate would have to change as well, but I am not going to open that can of worms in this post. :D

All of this, especially that bit that I colored in there, would kill off so many ways for people to be creative with thier classes for the sake of....what exactly?
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-03-08

I believe the question the OP asked has been answered. Please move other topics to the appropriate forums.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-03-08

Taggart MacBannion wrote:All of this, especially that bit that I colored in there, would kill off so many ways for people to be creative with thier classes for the sake of....what exactly?

Playability. No more adventure designations to try to quarantine overpowering dynamics.

Also, I read "be creative" as "wield more power than they should".

To go the other way, we could dial up the power of every single spell and it would provide more options and more chances to "be creative". However, it would seriously impact playability. Throw 3 Fireballs at once with Fire Storm? More options. Gaseous lasts all day and you can cast in it? More options!

Dialing some things back a bit would make for a more playable experience, and all that needs happen is that people have to let loose the death grip they have on their imaginary power. Really, it's all a GAME.

I mean, the creativity angle just rings false. How many Mages Pouch something other than Fireball or Gaseous on a regular basis? Creativity for Mages is at an all-time low.

Creativity should be expressed in the clever uses of abilities that are in the spirit of good sportsmanship, as well as in believable roleplay. To be sure, it's not simply figuring out how to get the most power (cf. Res Assassination).

I feel like Darkon today would never have gotten rid of Time Stop, stupid as it was.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-03-09

-Inox- wrote:
Taggart MacBannion wrote:All of this, especially that bit that I colored in there, would kill off so many ways for people to be creative with thier classes for the sake of....what exactly?

Playability. No more adventure designations to try to quarantine overpowering dynamics.

Also, I read "be creative" as "wield more power than they should".

To go the other way, we could dial up the power of every single spell and it would provide more options and more chances to "be creative". However, it would seriously impact playability. Throw 3 Fireballs at once with Fire Storm? More options. Gaseous lasts all day and you can cast in it? More options!

Dialing some things back a bit would make for a more playable experience, and all that needs happen is that people have to let loose the death grip they have on their imaginary power. Really, it's all a GAME.

I mean, the creativity angle just rings false. How many Mages Pouch something other than Fireball or Gaseous on a regular basis? Creativity for Mages is at an all-time low.

Me. Almost always. 75% of the time I have Animate Dead (good for instantly bringing back an ally in a fight) or Feeblemind (good for chasing down someone you want to capture). I sometimes start the adventure day with the fireball just in case I run into any crazy creatures that are hard to kill. Once I know about them, I don't worry anymore and can go back to my normal routine.

I've also pouched truth speak several times when I needed to interrogate someone who wouldn't necessarily cooperate. Passwall is another favorite... Time to go invade somebody's camp? Pouching passwall!

And on the rare days when I can find the bracers, it's probably going to be Recharge Item. :P
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-03-09

Pouch FD. All day long baby.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-03-09

I magic stone Nature's Love, neutralize poison, dispell, all the time. Its all about what you can think of.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

DrSquirrel

Post by DrSquirrel » 2012-03-14

Prayer touch curse for life
Something something kindred something