Crown War

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: Crown War

Post by Inox » 2012-05-11

I don't like the idea of Adventure Rules, because that means Pouch-Fireball/Gaseous/Passwall, etc. It also means Assassination, Prayer Touch-Res, Magic Stone-Warp Wood, Giant Growth, and Curse.

In short, it brings in the most magic & make believe in a time when we're trying to focus more on a struggle of arms.

It's also been my experience that the more powerful the abilities being used, the less RP that surrounds them in Darkon.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-05-11

If any "war" in this game should use adventure rules, it's a Crown War. When all is at stake, why wouldn't all possible tactics be used?

It also gives a smaller force a possibility of winning. Maybe they load of up on resurrection potions, unnoticed to anybody else... Then the crown war comes and they're popping back up one after another.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-05-11

You are looking at things from the perspective of a character (who would want all options, and would want to win at any cost), and not that of a player (who should want to avoid any unbalancing effect and/or totally magical victory).

Ideally, we should just dial back some powers, so that we have ONE set of rules for all events.
Beast of BABALON

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

Post by Havoc » 2012-05-11

The last thing we need is gaseous, giant formed, firepro, instant death wielding, res potion popping everythings everywhere.

It'll be complicated enough as is without adding THAT level of confusion.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-05-11

Actually, I quite was looking at it as a player. If I was looking at it as a character, I certainly wouldn't talk about giving a small group an advantage. As a character, I'm on the side that has the advantage right now - the side with the castle in the second part of the war.

But having been inside a structure and quickly and brutally lost a battle because somebody (against the rules) used potions to res, I can see the advantage it and how it would help smaller groups. Of course, anybody can have them, but that isn't to say that one group might not be better at getting ahold of them.

If the rules are good enough to play by at a campout, why not during a crown war?

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-05-11

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
If the rules are good enough to play by at a campout, why not during a crown war?

campouts run multiple days. a crown war is two fights. logically, with the time frame of a campout, one would be more conservative with spell points. when you only have two fights, you'll spend those points up. i know both sides can do this, but like inox said, it will add to confusion and stoppages in play.
jayjay
No Quarter!

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-05-11

Why can't the rules for a regular war be used?

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-05-12

There's nothing stopping them from being used instead. But a crown war is nothing like a regular war, both in terms of how it can be declared and by whom. I would argue that during a struggle of arms on the scale we're talking, as well as what's at stake. If you limit it to battle rules I think you are handicapping certain classes and creating an imbalance towards plate and shields.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Kai Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Kai Firebrand » 2012-05-12

It would be a terrible idea to have a wargaming club determine a very important war through actual combat!
we should just see who has stocked up the most potions and pillows to figure it out!

Alright I'm done with the sarcasm.
Master Kai Mortisius Firebrand (KMF)
SwordSlinger of No Quarter!
Knight of Tuesday
Warriors Guild Member
Knight of the Realm
Order of the Sword (OS)
Order of the Griffon (OG)
Spring Tournament '12 Grand Champion

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2012-05-12

I think the defender should choose.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-13

Kai has a point. We have had enough of noble tourneys being decided by who can win fights with strength of arms. The crown war should be nothing like a test of skill. That is obviously lame, we need to add less physically dependant skills into the mix and make eldering much harder. That will make it better.

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2012-05-13

^^ Without creating an "I Win" button (such as gaseous form and pocket fireball).

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-05-13

You don't see a single fighting noble in anything but plate. Just sayin
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-13

Only the ones that fight :)
Most sit around wenching and drinking ale and harrumphing about commoners and upstart whelps.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-14

Andrick uses chain. He is also quite silly.

As an aside, Cavaliers HAVE to wear AR2, 1, or 0.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-05-14

The NC spent a lot of time on this topic over the course of a year before it went to Senate. How about they get tested before people start trying to change them?

Clarifications have been made and will be added to the printing once (if) approved by Senate.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-14

Sir Gwydion wrote:Andrick uses chain. He is also quite silly.

As an aside, Cavaliers HAVE to wear AR2, 1, or 0.

With plate legs and scale arms :)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-05-14

Kai Firebrand wrote:It would be a terrible idea to have a wargaming club determine a very important war through actual combat!
we should just see who has stocked up the most potions and pillows to figure it out!

Alright I'm done with the sarcasm.

Yeah, man, because like, if people have potions, nobody will fight and *. They'll just stand around staring at each other.

Oh wait... No, they'll fight MORE because there will be more people popping back up to fight again. Everybody can stock up on potions.

It just makes sense. The entire King thing is RP, so why wouldn't we want all of our RP abilities involved?

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-14

As an extension of noble heirarchy RP, I would say this is an NC matter anyhow. But hey, whatever. When the asshurtery flows, I'd love to see pots/scrolls/ spell abilities take the heat. I would also love to see nobles attend senate on behalf of their respective countries and finally slay all these items that continually get dragged out as unbalancing and poorly managed.

Nobody cares about the fluff rules of the game until they meddle with something important to them. This would be important, I would say.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-05-15

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Yeah, man, because like, if people have potions, nobody will fight and *. They'll just stand around staring at each other.

No, what will happen is that the entire fight will be decided by who has stockpiled more magic items rather than by any sort of actual athleticism.

Do keep in mind that with things like Potions, ANYONE can be Gaseous, for instance. Anyone can use Growth at will. Anyone can Res...and you can use that one on yourself when you are mortalled (or Cure Mortal potions).

...and then of course, all Druids, Clerics, and Mages will start with held spells.

Such a fight would be more about maximizing magical power rather than any sort of combat with arms. There is a reason that we don't fight land wars this way.

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:It just makes sense. The entire King thing is RP, so why wouldn't we want all of our RP abilities involved?

That's mixing IC & OOC again.

Whether you have all of your abilities is purely a game mechanics concept, not something the characters are aware of. It's a function of balance. To the characters, there is no "battle day" or "Elder's choice".

Also, RP does not equal powers. Role-playing with the king does not require special abilities. In fact, to the extent that abilities are going to be aiding RP, they have to be big on flavor and low on power. The more powerful the ability, the more those giant hammers kill RP ala every-problem-is-a-nail.
Beast of BABALON

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-10-10

ROFL

from Inox earlier in this thread
"4.) Regardless of how much notification is given, or how the process is conducted, someone is going to complain that it should have been done another way, and/or that they were not properly notified at some step. Attempts to delay the actual War to offset this will result in other allegations that someone is stalling for advantage."

Inox you are the person that is saying this will happen and the person who is doing it :) cracks me up ! So if i wait 6 months will then I be stalling?

I could not resist pointing this out :)

Now I really hope and prey that everyone involved in this really enjoys themself - If we loose then I will not have another crown war in the future because the people would have spoken telling me they do not want me as king and I respect this :) I personally will continue to challenge for the throne personally in the ring but no other crown war for me. I expect all of us to kick the * out of each other while we take every hit that hits us its a game lets not turn this into anything more then that ! I look forward to the carnage that is coming and the party day the event after !! I have reccomended to the NC if the challenger is successful that the corination ceremony be at the event after on the 18th in that manner The current king will be able to have a court before turning over the reigns and it will just be damn cool.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

President

Post by President » 2012-10-11

No need to start a new thread, here is the Crown War question thread.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-10-11

lol to late :)

this is a proposal discussion thread so I made a thread in the ask the club area
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

President

Post by President » 2012-10-11

No, it's not a proposal discussion thread.

When I moved it I left the shadow....let me see if I can clean that up.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-10-11

Lord Dubh wrote:The NC spent a lot of time on this topic over the course of a year before it went to Senate. How about they get tested before people start trying to change them?

This ^^

All of this is new to the Realm. This is the first ever Crown War. Things still need to be flushed out, but most of it should be done afterwards.

Discussion about spellpoints is pointless because as it already states, they reset.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms