Crown War

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
President

Re: Crown War

Post by President » 2012-10-18

The Noble Council feels that the Crown War should be seperate from the rest of the event day and have requested that I make it clear that anything that occurs during the day will not impact the Crown War.

While I disagree with this and feel that the Crown War is the event and not just something that occurs at the event (like a land action) and that assassinations,kidnappings and the like should be part of the 'festivities' until we can figure out as a club when people are indisputably in-character, the events that occur on the sidelines and in other activities of the day shall not impact the Crown War.

I want the club to consider what the Crown War could be, and help it evolve into an EVENT instead of an action.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-10-18

In other words, if you want shenanigans during a Crown War, propose something for Senate to get added to the rule book!
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Arik the Red

Post by Arik the Red » 2012-10-31

Ok, I have read this tread and it seems that it still is in debate what the exact rules for this event are. Is there an Official statement on what rules are in effect for the Crown War. Are potions and scrolls allowed, or not??? Not trying to be a pain but as a relative newcomer I'm just trying to get some clarification. I've had a good ten or twelve newer people ask me this question and there is no consistent answer coming to us. Help please...... From a roleplaying standpoint, I don't understand why they would not be used. I mean if our characters have these abilities other days why would they NOT use them when something as important as a Crown is up for grabs. I mean its not like if you are in combat you wouldn't use all of your potential to begin with. I can understand how some people don't feel that it would be fair and that it should be a total athletic contest, however we are a roleplaying LARP, that needs to be remembered. If people want straight athletic combat, they should look to fighting with the SCA or other groups that do not have a fantasy element. I know that I will probably get flamed for these thoughts but I think people who have been with the group for a long time get caught up in the politics and forget that this is a fantasy game and those of us who roleplay should not have to justify why we should be able to use our class abilities but it should be justified when we are told we can't.

In Service to the Dream
Arik the Red
Itinerant Cleric of the Crimson Gryphon
Hail Kodos and may we survive this test of his will

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-10-31

Greetings Arik, to my knowledge and as posted elsewhere :
Potions and scrolls are not allowed in the crown war but in other non land events going on in the day they are allowed.
The crown war will be run using the regular land rules which means it is battle day rules with the addition of allowing adventure spells that affect poision because poison is allowed in the land rules.
The non land events will be run using adventure rules but in all cases the days events will have 0 affect on the war as the war will be treated as a seperate event from everything ele going on .

Hope that helps sorry for the confusion.

In service,
Cailen
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

President

Post by President » 2012-10-31

It has been stated in several places that normal land rules will be used and that events of the day will not impact the Crown War.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-31

Have they decided on the use of Relics and the Crown War? I am of the opinion they should just be left out, but wasnt sure what was decided.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Post by Karma » 2012-11-02

Question - why are we, as a game, allowing the "importation" of fighters from other games specifically for the crown war? Shouldn't the Darkonian Crown be decided by Darkonians, not by Dag/ORCS members? I've heard from several sources than one side in particular is possibly fielding 40+ non darkonians, which seems inappropriate to me.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-11-02

This isn't wrong. Plenty of countries reach out to mercs in times of war. This is a win win. We get more people on the field for the crown war and introduce a bunch more players who already enjoy foam fighting to our game.

President

Post by President » 2012-11-02

The only event at which lots of non-Darkonians are being 'imported' is BA on November 18th.

There may be a lot of elder-Darkonians coming out for the Crown War though to support their own.

Post by Karma » 2012-11-02

Elder Darkonians are fine, awesome and welcome.

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2012-11-02

Tyrcath is not only a country in our realm but a welcome guest any time.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

President

Post by President » 2012-11-03

Karma wrote:Elder Darkonians are fine, awesome and welcome.

Brent this is a pretty ignorant statement to make in light of the fact that we are advertising to increase local participation as well as working to expand into a national organization. If it takes a crown war to get 40 new players, 40 old players or 40 players who have a country in Darkon but are also part of another club then so be it.

This is a game after-all and the High King is just a character with no corporate authority so being concerned over how and who helps them become High King is rather silly.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-03

Karma wrote:Question - why are we, as a game, allowing the "importation" of fighters from other games specifically for the crown war? Shouldn't the Darkonian Crown be decided by Darkonians, not by Dag/ORCS members? I've heard from several sources than one side in particular is possibly fielding 40+ non darkonians, which seems inappropriate to me.

Cry some more.

Anybody is free to invite people to this game at anytime. If they like it, they will stay, if they do not like it, they will leave.

Countries have recruited new people for wars in the past, and they will do it again in the future.

Get over it - it's really pitiful to see a post like this.

And honestly - Do you think that there aren't new people invited by both sides? I'm sure there are.

Is there a reason you are worried about of a bunch of people who can't wear any armor, use any missile weapons or swing black damage?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-03

I believe he is referring to the rumor that NQ will be bringing out a bunch of their dag friends, who sorry, but even without wearing armor, 10 dudes with multiples years of fighting an giant round shields can easily sway a battle.

If this happens, and His Majesty's sides win, it will ring as hollow as Barry Bonds being the homerun champion in many peoples eyes.

Its about the same thing as a soccer team bringing in ringers to play a championship game. Especially if the new people invited out never field again....

I dont care either way. If people need ringers to beat my side, thats on them not me. Darkon is a game.

President

Post by President » 2012-11-03

Since said fighters from Dagirhir would have to be allied to a Knight on the field I would not worry too much about it. I don't see anyone on the NC being as classless or have such a need to win as to do such a thing.

Your values would have to be pretty well misplaced to think something that only effect IC stuff is that important.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-03

/shrug. Like I said either way i dont care. I look forward to fighting a bunch of people tomorrow. When the fight is over, I will still hold the same people as friends that I do today (unless they dick stab me or root for the Browns...)

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-03

fingers630 wrote:I believe he is referring to the rumor that NQ will be bringing out a bunch of their dag friends, who sorry, but even without wearing armor, 10 dudes with multiples years of fighting an giant round shields can easily sway a battle.

If this happens, and His Majesty's sides win, it will ring as hollow as Barry Bonds being the homerun champion in many peoples eyes.

Its about the same thing as a soccer team bringing in ringers to play a championship game. Especially if the new people invited out never field again....

I dont care either way. If people need ringers to beat my side, thats on them not me. Darkon is a game.

But I heard rumors of Pat buying out 3/4 of the realm to fight on his side. What harm can bringing 40 unarmored people to the other side be then?

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-11-04

As far as NQ! bringing 40 dag guys, the only dag people I know of coming are close friends of ours. Which is maybe 2-5 people and a couple of them are prospective petitioners for our unit. The other dag people are from the dag chapter of our unit, which attends darkon battles as well, dag is just their home game.

Also, since you guys wanna bring it up. I've heard cailen is also pulling in a bunch of dag support, as well as buying out 3/4 of the realm. In my eyes, it looks like you need that many people to beat me and my unit. In other words, everybody chill, this * hasn't even happened yet and people are already getting butthurt.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-11-04

ROFL

I have only paid 3 countries and one of those countries gave back over 1/2 the funds to help cover the silvering promise that I made for those that side with me in the war - so I guess paying for each person to have a weapon silvered to help protect themselves from any unnatural creatures they will face in the future on land events counts as buying out 3/4 of the realm --- I think someone needs to work on math skills because I do not expect 3/4 of the realm to be on my side in this and if that is the case I will be plesantly supprised!

In addition 0 players from Dag are coming out to side with me in this to my knowledge - I have talked to 3 people 2 of which used to be and still are members of elidor that now mainly fight Dag and the other I spoke to who can not make it used to fight Darkon but now mainly fights Dag but cant make it.

The rumors that have been spread trip me out and I loved all the letters you all had printed at the campout suposedily by my hand to try and put me in a bad light - I have not drafted one letter in character outside of the forum here but the one stating that I am paying the Mage Tax for the realm :) So if you saw a letter that was supposedly written by me it wasnt again rofl :)

Win or loose I will not be buthurt over this - nor will I hold anyone on either side as my forever enemy - that is never my way nor my policy with reguards to anyone in game. I think this crown war is a win win ... by that I mean from what I have seen and heard people have been working on gear / old players are coming back out / new players from ORCS and other groups are going to be there (like your Dag friends :) / and finally there has been more roleplaying and interaction across the realm then there has been in years :) I just wish we had this much interaction and Kingly presence (even if it is to threaten most everyone in the game to side with them) before the crown war was called.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-05

Northern Kingdoms, Mordom, Laconia (all 3 of them), Asaheim?, Exilium, Angry Peasants, Elidor, Waagh for Prince Cailen (I dont believe Mordom or Elidor were paid for their services).

NQ, Nurgle, Aq (all 3 of them), Ched Nesad, Bloody Axe, House Dubh for King Slindar.

So 8-6? Sides seemed pretty even to me, not a hiring of 2/3 of the Realm. Most of the countries matched closely as well. I think Elidor had 30 people, with 8ish being lvls 1 and 2. NQ had to match us pretty close with their numbers. Ched and NK were similar in numbers. Laconia and Aquilonia. Nurgle and Mordom. /shrug

I didnt see any busloads of Dag fighters though I saw a few ive never seen. Hope they had fun and will come out to more events, they have such tasty backs to stab ;)

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-11-05

fingers630 wrote:Northern Kingdoms, Mordom, Laconia (all 3 of them), Asaheim?, Exilium, Angry Peasants, Elidor, Waagh for Prince Cailen (I dont believe Mordom or Elidor were paid for their services).

NQ, Nurgle, Aq (all 3 of them), Ched Nesad, Bloody Axe, House Dubh for King Slindar.

So 8-6? Sides seemed pretty even to me, not a hiring of 2/3 of the Realm. Most of the countries matched closely as well. I think Elidor had 30 people, with 8ish being lvls 1 and 2. NQ had to match us pretty close with their numbers. Ched and NK were similar in numbers. Laconia and Aquilonia. Nurgle and Mordom. /shrug

I didnt see any busloads of Dag fighters though I saw a few ive never seen. Hope they had fun and will come out to more events, they have such tasty backs to stab ;)

you guys had a fair more than we did, but i don't think that made the difference. it was magic, which we lack, siege weapons, which we lacked, and metal armor. i mean, i think mordom must be all clerics. lol
jayjay
No Quarter!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Yup Mordom had a whole bunch of fighters (and 2 clerics I think) in plate. Elidor had 4-5 guys in plate and several others in chain/some plate. I dont think the Mages or Seige weapons came into play too much in round 1. I didnt cast a single spell as you guys charged up.

The second fight definitely. NK had a triage station set up and Andrick and I had the Elidorian fix it shop. LOL Kel joined in and I dumped 10 sp in just a few min mending every plate rezzed fighter dragged to us.

I think we need to do this at least once a year. Was hella fun.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-05

fingers630 wrote:Yup Mordom had a whole bunch of fighters (and 2 clerics I think) in plate. Elidor had 4-5 guys in plate and several others in chain/some plate. I dont think the Mages or Seige weapons came into play too much in round 1. I didnt cast a single spell as you guys charged up.

The second fight definitely. NK had a triage station set up and Andrick and I had the Elidorian fix it shop. LOL Kel joined in and I dumped 10 sp in just a few min mending every plate rezzed fighter dragged to us.

I think we need to do this at least once a year. Was hella fun.

That is what we had going on inside, too. In the back were several clerics and some druids healing people and the mages would take turns running back and mending metal armor.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

LOL all the mages were feared by reigning down 100 fireballs on the opposition. The opposite was true, they were effective by hanging back and fixing up the big burly fighters and letting them do all the work!

Zodiac89

Post by Zodiac89 » 2012-11-05

I agree with Fingers, this event was an enormous amount of fun. Regarding the Crown War battle outcome, I think a big part of Cailen's victory came from the left flank of his forces holding (although it was eventually wiped out in the first fight, but not before taking out a healthy chunk of Slindar's forces too) the line, which I give great credit to (Archduke? Not sure how that works now that Slindar was dethroned, and is now an Archduke as well) Keldar for leading and inspiring the brave warriors on that flank.
Barknell: Druid, observing the realm, beholding the beauty of Mother Nature.
Every rose has its thorns, every book, a story.

Never suffer Betrayal.