Shieldbreaking Hammers

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Garwa Mayharr

Shieldbreaking Hammers

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-07-03

Someone from the Silverdain Wargaming Club asked me a question I did not know how to answer. He ask "why are Yellow weapons like the Hammer not Shieldbreaking weapons". So what is the reason for this?

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Re: Shieldbreaking Hammers

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-07-03

Honestly, right now: Balance.

Imagine if a cleric could shield break?

The easiest way to fix this is to simply make a list of two-handed weapons, say they can shield-break but only in the hands of a fighter, and call it a day (basically making SB'ing a fighter skill). It would fix everything and then hammers could SB.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-07-03

For game balence and not a huge interest in seeing rules for hammers laid out... to date we have decided that one hand yellow weapons (some are hammers) do not break sheilds because it would be unbalencing ... in the same token most of our 2 handed versions are not yellow nor do they break sheilds.... you run into asking yourself at what point does a hammer's size affect if it is sheildbreaking - and to be honest many in darkon chose not to make 2 handed hammers because they are unweildy and more likely to cause injuries or difficult to make safe.

That being said I have seen many 2 handed hammers that are perfectly safe and there have been several discussions on the matter but to date there have been no rule changes reguarding hammer use .... unlike all the specific rules on polearms and axes that we have seen.

So
1. lack of interest
2. diffuculty to make the weapon last and make safe
3. no proposals on the matter have passed our senate
4. they are hard to use effectivly and to date are a more "cool" value weapon then "effective" weapon choice within our rule set
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Garwa Mayharr

I did tell him it was a game balance issue but he wasn't happy with that answer. He wants to be a Cleric with a Shield Breaking weapon. I said to him that "Darkon has been around for 27 years, and I'm sure they have good reasons, your'e not the first to being this up".

I am really getting tired of new players trying to alter the game that they know nothing about.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-07-03

If its your own wargaming club, make them shield breaking. Simple fix really:

all 2 handed yellow weapons except staves and bars (ie great clubs/hammers/maces) cause shield break
all clerics are limited to AR2 and greater armor and may not use a shield greater than 36" in any direction

there ya go.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Garwa Mayharr

That would be a Great Idea. However I am refraining from any rule changes until something happens with the the Darkon Chapters proposal.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-07-05

Fingers, you are a genius!

a lot of discussion went down about SB yellow, and as a function, I like it. I just got on the cleric hating train as well, since the class is already overtooled.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-07-05

My cleric wears ring so doesnt bother me =P. I just think it allows for a different type of cleric to be played. AR2 is Scale/Chain Right? Pretty good protection, 36inch shield is more than adequate for a cleric, fighters/cav get a buff as they are the only ones in plate with 4ft shields.

Imagine Thrush, the Berserker Cleric of Odin with a giant Shield Breaking Hammer, Hide Armor, maybe a buckler to stop arrows...variety. It is the spice of life.

now if we can just give them white swords Id abandon my Templar quest...

*edit*

One other thing. I realize that people like the look of plate, they have plate, its cheap, they dont want to replace it. Id also like to allow plate to be worn and counted as AR2 if this were ever to pass. People bitch "but its confusing..." *.

1. Count your own hits. If I am playing a cleric and take AR2 hits, I count them myself.
2. Arm bands. Why the * do we have them? You as an elder see a guy in plate with RED armbands on, he has AR2. Not hard to follow.
3. Other players shouldnt metagame what your armor does. If you see someone wearing armor, stab them in a gap, or hit them repeatedly til they drop.

/end rant

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-07-07

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Honestly, right now: Balance.

Imagine if a cleric could shield break?

so what you are saying it that clerics are OP, therefore, everyone else should suffer for it.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-07-07

I voted for SB being a fighter ability, therefore SB hammers would be in, just a cleric couldn't SB.
I give nothing to clerics. EVER.

Consider this: I run a fulltime PVP unit. We are always at war, therefore unit strength is key. Literally half my unit is cleric and I'm trying to nerf the class. What does this mean?

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-07-07

I honestly don't see a problem with the cleric as it is now. They do not need SB weapons, and do not need to be restricted in armor and shield. If more people think that Fingers idea would work then I would say play test it. I do like the idea of Fighters having SB Hammer, But like Lord Cailen said, "difficulty to make the weapon last and make safe". But I going to try it!!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-07-08

It wouldnt work cause people wouldnt vote to give it up. Just like assassinations will never be changed even though they are the stupidest ability in the game.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-08-03

Shield breaking should be fighter only, and only with weapons over 5' in length. And not with great swords. My 2 cents...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''