Non-Theives Looting

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Guy The Bloodied

Non-Theives Looting

Post by Guy The Bloodied » 2012-10-24

During the campout, there were many instances where I was looted by non-thieves. There is no problem with that, of course, because it's permitted by the rules. What's been bugging me for the past day or so is HOW they looted me, specifically what they asked me when looting. The player who was looting me came up and said "I'm a lowly fighter and I'm rummaging through all of your pouches, do I find anything?" and I answered "yes" and handed over my gold from my pouch. This happened to me a few times with different players, who all asked the same question: "I am a fighter and I'm rummaging through your pouches, do I find anything?"

From the rulebook:

"the searcher must say, "I am not a thief, I am searching the [object] on your [location]," where the object is a particular container or piece of gear such
as a specific pouch, pocket, or article of visible clothing, and the [location] is one of the basic thief search locations. For example, "I
am searching the bracer on your right arm," or "I am searching the tunic sleeve on your right arm." The dead player would be
required to give up any in-game item(s) in that location." -pp. 29-30

The problem I have here is that I wasn't asked "I'm searching the sleeve of your right arm" or "I'm searching the pouch on your belt". It's that he simply said "I'm rummaging through your pouches", which puts me in an awkward position. Because I know that he has to state a specific location, if I say anything like "Which pouch?" he'll immediately know that I have something somewhere on me. If I say no, I've saved him the time of having to go from location to location on my body like he's supposed to. At first I thought, "Well this makes it more convenient for him..." but later I realized that, Wait a second, this guy isn't a thief, why the hell am I trying to save him time?! The whole point of playing a thief is that they get the benefit of looting bodies much faster than non-thieves. And by wording the question the way he did, he was essentially getting the benefits of a thieves loot skill without having to be a thief.

Am I correct here in believing that his actions were a violation of the rules?
Guy LeDouche the Bloodied
Chosen Warboss of Ched Nasad
Chaos Monk of Khorne
Matron Mother of House LeDouche
"We kneel to no man...because we can't"

Kobalos

Re: Non-Theives Looting

Post by Kobalos » 2012-10-24

Yup, you are correct. Your best bet in the future would be to reply, "As you're not a thief, you need to search specific locations one-at-a-time."
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-24

Can Thrush, a Master Fighter, rummage all your pouches at once? =P
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-10-26

Yes.

Thrush
berserk
Master Fighter
Space Left Blank for Future Fake Titles
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Guy The Bloodied

Post by Guy The Bloodied » 2012-10-26

Thrush can rummage my pouches any day.
Guy LeDouche the Bloodied
Chosen Warboss of Ched Nasad
Chaos Monk of Khorne
Matron Mother of House LeDouche
"We kneel to no man...because we can't"

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-10-26

I think Thrush just cleaves you in half and takes your belt and all of the pouches with him for later.

President

Post by President » 2012-10-28

You basically allowed them to loot you like a thief. Next time, make them be specific.