The Hydra

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

The Hydra

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-14

It has come to my attention that there were some questions regarding the rules for the "Hydra" in the land encounter chart. Here is the current rule/wording of the encounter:

1 Hydra (15 hits, giant, 2 Fireballs, Regenerates 1 hit every 30 seconds to represent head regrowth. Does not regenerate after body is killed. Played by 3 people; 1 body and 2 “heads”. Heads are Immune to all damage/spells, Damaged only by Magic Weapon)

The way I had imagined this, was 3 people playing the hydra, 2 of which are "Heads" which have a single fireball each. They can use any weapon, but imho, dual wielding would probably be the best representation. Definitely not shields. The heads are immune to all damage and all spells. IE they cannot be injured in any fashion. You can certainly "engage" them however, block with shields, sacrifice yourself, etc.

The last person plays the "body" of the beast. This player has 15 hits, only affected by magic weapons, and regenerates 1 hit point every 30 seconds until killed.

Now due to safety issues, I would not recommend tying the heads to the body in order to keep them "together." I would of course suggest the heads TRY to stay close to the body, but of course anyone who has ever seen the cartoon Hercules knows that the heads can shoot a LONG way away.

Due to others possibly having different interpretations of this, I ask should something be submitted to reword the entry, or perhaps the president should make an official post endorsing this is how it should be, or am I just looking too far into it?

Thanks
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Re: The Hydra

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-15

People should grapple the heads. It'd be like jumping onto them. That'd be awesome.

This is just an aside... Your write-up makes sense and seems like it should be played that way.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-01-15

Your first two paragraphs after the quote sum it up very well. I don't see why that, slightly reworded, couldn't be turned into a "clarification" proposal and presented to Senate. I don't see the Magistrate having an issue with using the same text as a clarification until the proposal passes & takes effect.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-01-15

as it is currently worded it leaves it up to the land marshal or event elder to use what they have on hand to represent the beast - different people and countries threw the years have made creatures like this in many different ways and the ability to do so makes it so the beast is at best unpredictable and at worse just made as safe as possible given the props on hand at the time that the beast is needed to be played

if you think the wording needs to be changed then by all means propose a wording change but for now its abilities are clearly laid out as to what it takes to kill it

as it is a giant creature I do not think grappling it in any way from a kneeling position should be allowed both from a size difference and from a safty reason but I can not find any current rules preventing this action unless the "giant" size creature is wearing less actual armor then the person attempting to grapple with it in which case the less (actual armor) armored creature iniates the grapple with a player that has on equal or more armor on them

in addition looking threw the rule book I only saw under the spell "growth" a decription on how a giant size person affects the fighting ability of normal sized players I could not find anywhere anything that states the rules for fighting against NPCs that are over a certian size --- did I miss text on that rule or is it no longer in the rulebook by some ommision at some point or rule change at some point? Does anyone have the missing info or is it actually missing?

I understand that event elders and land marshal have governance over how a creature should interact with players and we all know what to do when we get close to a giant sized creature - the question becomes is it currently written out anywhere? am i just missing the text on it somewhere?
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Xynn of Ched Nasad

Post by Xynn of Ched Nasad » 2013-01-16

i know there was a prez ruling years ago about ice storm and entangle against giants and giant growth people.

there was never in my memory a ruling or call about grappling, i feel as long as we trust people to be safe grappling of giants is ok.

but do we trust people to play safely

-LANHAM

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-01-16

Xynn of Ched Nasad wrote:but do we trust people to play safely

-LANHAM

Yes, we do. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to do play this game at all.

Now, of course, if the NC deems initiating a grapple from a kneeling position to be unsafe, that's a different story. Then we make sure everyone knows, add it to the rulebook & newbie speech, and instruct elders to enforce it. We could suggest Cauthon add it to the agenda if anyone thinks it's warranted.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Xynn of Ched Nasad

Post by Xynn of Ched Nasad » 2013-01-16

i think it should be looked at, at least.

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2013-01-16

I think it would be cool if the heads had like 5 hits, and their rez point was the body. That would encourage them to actually stay near the body somewhat.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-16

making the heads able to be killed will make the encounter a joke. a smart NPC would keep the heads close to protect it from being killed. If i were playing the body, i sure as hell wouldnt let the heads run off and leave me to be killed without protection.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-01-17

Could something be added to allow the "heads" to drag someone back to the body? IE. If a player representing a head grapples (legally) with a player and is able to touch the player who represents the body, the player being grappled has just been eaten. For safety, the "head" could hold the player in place while the body comes to him instead of actually dragging them across the field against their will. Or not, sounds like it might be fun.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-01-17

Thom,

The heads could be killed. Provided when they 'rez' another head is added. Like the hydra from greek myth.

JOhn
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-17

Yes but we would have to have a bunch of people standing around waiting to jump into the land search, and technically 2 heads would jump in. While this could be fun I think the logistics wouldnt work out. For one yo would have to start with 7 or 8 heads to represent a greek hydra, and you could end up with like 30.

Anyway Im fine with the way I have written it, I just wanted to make sure the landmarshall knew the intent of the encounter to make sure it was run properly. If someone wishes to make a new proposal changing how the encounter works, they are welcome to do so.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-01-17

My final ruling of the Hydra will be thus:
1.) Heads are immune to all damage and spells until the body is dead. They have 5 hits and 1 fireball each
2.) The body regens 1 hit ever 30 seconds. It has 5 hits
3.) It is giant and each part can only be, when it can be damaged, damaged by magic weapons

I have ruled this way more than once already, but since I'm being called into question I'll explain. The reasoning behind this is simple. The hydra is 3 people, with 15 hits. That is 5 hits per, simple math. A chromatic is 15 hits, 3 people. 5 hits per, again simple math. The ancient red dragon from the fortification table is 20 hits and 4 people. 5 hits each, staying with simple math. The hydra done this way stays in line with all the other multi person monsters in the table.
Last edited by Snudge on 2013-01-17, edited 1 time in total.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-01-17

Logical on the field ruling.

What is the final ruling from the Magistrate??
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-17

and make sure you "strongly suggest" to those playing a hydra, that the heads should make an effort to protect the body, since it will live longer that way :)

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-01-17

-
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-01-25

After a long discussion with the land marshal reguarding this and after much thought I think his ruling as he stated it I will support without any change. Although he did not state it in his post he is also allowing the body to have weapons that do black damage to represent leg claws so it is not defenseless just a fyi.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-26

They could have any weapon combination they want. Hell it could hold 2 tower shields if it wanted. Body was never defenseless.