Roleplay-esque question & terminology questions

Ask your rule questions here, players and officials will respond. Questions that turn into proposal discussions will be moved to the Proposal Discussion forum.
Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Roleplay-esque question & terminology questions

Post by Snudge » 2013-07-08

A couple questions, they are at the bottom
On page 68 of the Jan 2013 rule book the following is stated.

"Structures and Resources are collectively known as ‘Assets.’ Assets are the property of the country owning them, not of individual participants. Resources are assets that produce money or provide other benefits to a country without requiring an upkeep cost; these may include hexes of land, settlements, mines, and ships. Common resources are described according to the chart below"

The table lists settlements, mines and boats with a descriptor of each.
The above seems to indicate that any hex, settlement, mine or boat is a resource. Resources and structures are lumped into one big group called assets. None of which can be owned by individuals, but only by countries.

For the purpose of roleplay, assume an individual pays their country the cost for some asset, whatever it is. On the map they cannot be indicated as the owner, since that has to be a country. From that idea flows the following questions

1.) Could they claim to be the owner in character without running afoul of the rules against individual ownership?
2.) Hexes, Settlements, Mines and Boats are called resources because they earn money and don't cost upkeep right?
3.) Structures, along with Resources are collectively know as assets right?
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Re: Roleplay-esque question & terminology questions

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-07-08

There is nothing to stop anybody from claiming any particular thing their country owns. Plenty of countries have ships that "belong" to a particular person. In Ched Nasad, a few of us had our own keep, it belonged only to a small group and not the country as a whole. Nothing to stop any country for dividing their assets as they see fit... The land map needn't even mention it.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-07-08

That would be my take on it as well, but my interpretation of the rules no matter how clear I think they are has certainly not been agreed with on more than one occasion. Hence why I ask, I'm not looking to run afoul of someone else's interpretation of the rules.

An EB or NC member chiming in on each question would make me feel a bit better.

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-07-08

The owner of a map asset will always be a country. A country can RP that an individual has rights to a given asset or hex but it will never truly be theirs. If the country in question wished; they could reclaim it... if the country in question goes defunct, the asset/hex is lost... if the individual left the country for another, the original country retains ownership... etc.

RP is flavor... but does not circumvent the rules as stated.

Just my opinion, of course, your mileage may vary.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-07-11

Yea, we can drop opinions, but I do think the purpose of this forum is so that the EB can make a ruling.

I agree with Aethilgar, FTR.
We already "name" boats and castles, we can "in spirit" give ownership to a person (lots of people already do). I cant ever imagine the land map having any asset owned by a single person though, it's entirely out of scale.

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-07-11

Snudge I am not ignoring your question and I think it is the magistrates job to make a ruling on this so I will do so but not at this time. As you know wording is a tricky thing and it is easy to just say "this is the way" but I have not had the time to research what effect your specific questions will draw forth from other rules that are in the rulebook. I will give you a ruling on this by Wednesday this coming week after I have the time to sift threw everything that a ruling on wording will affect. I have been busy as ... and have spent the last 2 days working on the campout and right now that is my priority this can wait till I have the time to look into it fully. I hope that is ok with you - thank you

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-07-13

no rush, its something that already seems to go on anyway. But I appreciate the response

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-07-17

"The owner of a map asset will always be a country. A country can RP that an individual has rights to a given asset or hex but it will never truly be theirs. If the country in question wished; they could reclaim it... if the country in question goes defunct, the asset/hex is lost... if the individual left the country for another, the original country retains ownership... etc. "

this is my personal interpretation as well and I will not have time to look at it till Thursday night from the way things are looking now

items of note - any asset that generates something (coin per season for example) will always go directly to the country of ownership and from their it is the country of ownerships choice to redirect those funds to any player they have made a agreement of "ownership" with the game as a whole will never directly be paying individuals for assets but rather it pays countries directly then it is up to that country what happens with the income it generates. Thursday I will be looking at question parts 3 and 2 and verify this as a answer to your 1st part of your question.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-07-22

"Structures and Resources are collectively known as ‘Assets.’ Assets are the property of the Country owning them, not of individual players. "

According to the very start of the land rule description this statement is clearly placed.

so...
1) According to the rules it is clear individuals can not own Assets.
2) There are times when boats do have a cost or a "upkeep" like when they are used in a blockade. So that is why it states "they may include..."

With saying the above for the game to allow individual ownership by the rules ... the rule wording must be changed.

NOW roleplaying is another matter

"The owner of a map asset will always be a country. A country can RP that an individual has rights to a given asset or hex but it will never truly be theirs. If the country in question wished; they could reclaim it... if the country in question goes defunct, the asset/hex is lost... if the individual left the country for another, the original country retains ownership... etc. "

this is my personal interpretation as well

items of note - any asset that generates something (coin per season for example) will always go directly to the country of ownership and from their it is the country of ownerships choice to redirect those funds to any player they have made a agreement of "ownership" with the game as a whole will never directly be paying individuals for assets but rather it pays countries directly then it is up to that country what happens with the income it generates.

You can chose to pay out of your countries coffers what ever you like cause it is your countries money limited by the country transfer of funds rules and country withdrawal rules already in place.

As to if it is called a resource or a asset or a plum or a orange these are terms set forth to help quantify what something is but in and of itself do not supersede specific rules later stated in the land rules. If you need a ruling on something stated later in the rules please be clear about what exactly you need reviewed.

Thank you,

In Service,
Cailen

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-07-23

Appreciate the input, covers what I was looking for on ownership, structures and resources

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal