The Search for Maelstrom- 1/12/14

For character narratives and in-character announcements. Moderators will be liberal in the removal of OOC posts and comments. Do not 'god mode' in the forums, if you can't do it on the field you can't do it here.
Forum rules
Moderators will be liberal in the removal of OOC posts and comments. Do not 'god mode' in the forums, if you can't do it on the field you can't do it here.
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

The Search for Maelstrom- 1/12/14

Post by fingers630 » 2013-12-16

The Search for Maelstrom

Legends speak of a Mighty Weapon, capable of defeating even the most well armored of foes. A massive sword that only the mightiest of warriors can effectively wield, and that protects anyone even bearing it, from the hottest flame or coldest ice. A weapon that is treasured by the Frost Giants of Ancient Valdimar. The weapon, known as Maelstrom.

It has been months since the Ancient Blade was seen on the fields of Darkon, and some fear it has been lost for good, but rumors abound that it’s likeness has been seen once more, up in the Northern Wastelands near Ched Nesad.

Adventurers all of sorts have sent parties North to see if any of the rumors hold true, and to see if they can reclaim the relic and the glory that goes with it.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: The Search for Maelstrom- 1/12/14

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-06

Rumors of a Large White Scaled Wyrm being spotted in the Frozen Wastes of Ched Nesad have begun to circulate throughout the Realm, with entire ships found covered in ice, drifting across the sea...

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2014-01-06

In the north? In the Ice Cream Wastes near the North Hold?

Oh, dear...

This is worse than I originally imagined.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2014-01-22

As it turns out, it was not the same dragon I thought it would be. This dragon was not intimidating in anyway, nor was it fearsome.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-22

Is anything fearsome against the Giant Slayers Guild?

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-01-22

OOC: I know it's a lot harder to pull off, but multiple-person dragons seem to do the best job of holding parties back.

The one Skip/Bannor used to have was phenomenal for that; the "claws" were long weapons that looked like claws.

Also, the claws and tail probably need to be shieldbreaking in 1 shot. That way, it becomes much more difficult to get pressed by a line on their knees. Of course it also needs to be immune to grappling, and maybe even non-magic, non-2H weapons.

Sorry for the OOC, but as this event is now over, I figured it was more important to discuss mechanics.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2014-01-22

Yeah, multiple person dragons are a bitch and a half to kill. I like them much better. Wasn't there one that was made out of pvc or something that 5 guys could move around.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-23

Yeah that was skip's Dragon. We discussed the multi person dragon but would need more NPCs than we had, and in the end, it wouldn't have mattered. 1 person with true strike standing up (even though he should have knelt to the dragon) killed it AND severely injured the storm giant (2 10 hit monsters)

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-01-24

See, I had a True Strike weapon and all I got to do was block. The standing vs. giant-sized creatures is incredibly effective when the giant-sized creatures don't have other effects.

I liked what Valfryn was saying about giving giants other effects: Immediate shieldbreak, can't be grappled, etc.

Make them tactically more of a challenge besides the knees thing. Otherwise, soon as you remove that, it's all over.
Beast of BABALON

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-24

Yep trust me, I made the monsters pretty tough for the last fight. Dragon could shatter anyone it froze (but you dispelled nicely) and giant had shield break. I don't know that either killed anyone that fight.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-01-24

Immediate shield break? I think there were just too many folks alive at that point. It's hard to have any single monster (or pair) stand against 15-20 adventurers pressing hard, especially when it's a pack of mostly vets.

Here's some trivia: in the very first Maelstrom adventure (which is on tape...I think Amo still has a copy), the 3-man dragon, led by Ceannric, was reached only by a handful of us. It wasn't even giant-sized, but because most of the party was already dead, the final fight was almost a TPK.

Skorpsus (the Master Thief of Darkon at the time), Orin Shaka Daemin, Russ of Bloody Axe, and I (along with a handful of others) got to the lair. The entire time, we'd been getting chased by a golem that required magic weapons to hit it, and back then, those were very hard to get.

Skorpsus parleyed and taunted the dragon until it emerged from its lair and started laying waste to things, including the golem. Orin & I ducked inside to snag treasure and the sword, but we drank these potions we snagged from an earlier horde that turned out to be shrinking potions, and we had to fight on our knees--so we could not flee (later it was revealed that only 1 was a shrinking potion, but the other Elder made a mistake. Oh well. Also, back then, the potions were actual liquor in cigar tubes.)

Russ came and grabbed the sword from us and ran, but eventually had to engage the Dragon. Maelstrom did a White & a Black then (hey! just like it does now again!) and he eventually was able to kill it on a lengthy fight up the path. Like I said, very close to a TPK.

Maybe for trail adventures we either need more countries as NPCs, or we need to let only small groupings in at one time, allowing everyone else to two-team. I know for my first event, for the Javelin of Lightning, there were two adventuring parties (and the numbers were MUCH lower then). One went through and fought the NPCs while the rest of us did small two-teams until the first group was done.

That's enough geezing for a while.
Beast of BABALON