Hi guys, I'm new and curious. Any guidance?

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Hiskar Ooglethorp

Hi guys, I'm new and curious. Any guidance?

Post by Hiskar Ooglethorp » 2014-05-26

Hi all,

Call me Hiskar. I'm returning to the area after many years adventuring across the land. I'm new to LARP ,although I battled once in Texas years ago. I'm no stranger to fantasy and have dabbled in D&d, vampire the masquerade, many computer RPGs, etc. I humbly ask a few questions one kind enough to listen may answer. Thanks.

1)I understand the next event is adventure day this Sunday. Can I just show Up to this even with no previous associations with your group? Should I bring weapons and armor?

2)Can I create a character of any race? Are there any limitations on this?

3) What is adventure day and what should I expect? Is this an overnight event? Camping?

4) Can you offer any advise on how to prepare? Any online resources you suggest?
Thanks for any and all help offered.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Re: Hi guys, I'm new and curious. Any guidance?

Post by shroom2021 » 2014-05-26

Hello and welcome.

1. By all means show up. Adventure day usually means that there is an adventure and certain spells/abilities are available.

2. No limitations on race that I am aware of.

3. Adventure day is a day event. There will be a special battle or something.

4. For your first event just bring yourself and costume and any weapons you think are legal. We will check them to be sure. For your first 5 events you can't wear armour, so not much point in bringing it. Just about every country is friendly and will be willing to equip you with weapons if you need them. If not just look for the country in green with a prancing stag. We usually bring extra stuff.

Hiskar Ooglethorp

Post by Hiskar Ooglethorp » 2014-05-26

Thanks shroom2021,

What does your group with green flag and prancing pony call itself? I appreciate ur kindness and especially like ur name. Any chance you have been granted visions buy the sacred plant teachers as have i?? What's ur darkon name ?

Also, do you know if there is a practice this Tuesday in or near crofton?

Thanks.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2014-05-27

It's a stag, and that's Elidor.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2014-05-28

There is a very good practice every Tuesday in Catonsville as long as Thor doesnt bitch slap it with thunderstorms.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117479801670715/

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2014-05-28

My advice to anyone is to just show up. If you have garb, wear it. If you dont: get together a black or natural colored sweatsuit or something and players can lend you a tunic/ tabard. Don't wear white socks and white shoes. Try to wear black/brown shoes with matching laces and dark socks.

Usually there's groups of people preening for newbies, so you'll be fine in weapons and guidance.

I would advise asking lots of questions, browsing the "Realm" section of the darkon page.
http://wp.darkon.org/countries-of-the-realm-3/

Spend a couple events learning what's going on, see who you like hanging with, and who's RP fits yours.

I wouldn't bother inventing a character until you see what's going on, just rock as a newbie for a few events.

Buy GLOVES. Lacrosse or hockey style gloves. Your hands WILL get abused. Get as close to a natural color as you can and eliminate all logos.

Page through the rulebook:
http://www.darkon.org/forms/DarkonRulebook-Jan2014.pdf

Really, just the parts about costumes, new players, and the combat section. That will make your life easier.

Dont buy ANY armor or weapons for Darkon unless you make sure it's legit for our rules set. I would advise borrowing until you're in the know or you've got a solid mentor who's willing to keep you from wasting your monies.

I'm sure there's more, there used to be a giant thread about this sort of thing on the old message boards......

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2014-05-30

Lord Valfryn wrote:
Buy GLOVES. Lacrosse or hockey style gloves. Your hands WILL get abused. Get as close to a natural color as you can and eliminate all logos

BUY GLOVES!!!!! I personally think LAX and Hockey gloves look like *. But any gloves are better than none. MMA and tactical gloves are good as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lancer-Tactical ... 267wt_1362

Those a great cheap first pair of gloves for dork battle.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''