Feedback for new event type

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Sir Martin of BAMC
Knight of the Realm

Feedback for new event type

Post by Sir Martin of BAMC » 2012-02-16

I'm looking to run a new event type in conjunction with the Spring tourney. I'd like some feedback from the realm to gauge what the interest level in such an event would be in order to determine whether or not this will be something I pursue. I'm hoping to run a play test, and then it if works ok to run it as an "official" Spring tourney event.

We'll call it a "Collisuem Battle". It's basically a combination of the a coin battle, the old "king's choice" battles that we used to do when the game was smaller, and a chaos battle.
Here's the deal:

When people check in for tourney they'll be given a coin and a playing card. The field will be marked off in a large square using survey tape to denote the boundaries. At each corner of the square will be a "gate" and each one will correspond to one of the playing card suits. Each gate will also have an elder assigned to it.
When you get your card you report to the gate of the same suit as your card. The suits are NOT teams. The idea is to completely randomize your starting location.

If we want to get fancy we'll "wall off" the gates with tarps, sheets, or whatever so that you won't be able to see in or out of the gates.

At the beginning of the battle the elders will send out one fighter from each gate, to the start of the battle will be 4 guys in the middle. It's every man for themselves. When you get killed you give your starting coin to the person who killed you.
Once lay-on is called, the elder's at the gates will release a new fighter every 20 seconds (regardless of who's alive or dead in the center). Wash-rinse-reapeat until there are no more combatants to be released.

Once inside the arena, anything goes. You want to make and break temporary alliances? Go for it. You can do whatever the hell you want. Want to camp one of the gate entrances? Go ahead, but there are three more just like it .

When you're behind the gate you have no idea what you're going to be facing when released. When you're inside the arena you have no idea who's going to be let out next, and there will be a near constant stream of people entering from all different directions.

Stay alive as long as you can, and kill as many people as you can. The winner at the end is the combatant who has accumulated the most coins.

I haven't decided yet whether to use adventure rules or not. I am leaning toward standard battle rules because stuff like pouched fireballs and giant growth would be real mood killers here.

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Re: Feedback for new event type

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-02-16

I take it if you have accumulated coins and are killed, you give all of them away?
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-16

This sounds absolutely amazing. How big an arena? One death and you're out?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-02-16

I agree fully here, clarify a few things and it would be spectacular to watch.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2012-02-16

I smell some Royal Rumble influence here too. I hope the winner of this event is someone in a kilt, just to add to the irony.

But seriously, great idea. I'd like to add using the number on the card to determine the order in which combatants emerge from their starting gates. Since the cards are already being used to randomly select starting areas, lets also use them to randomize fighting order.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-02-16

Perhaps combatants should supply their initial coin as the cost of competing...
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-16

My one thing is that when you are killed you need to give up your coin. So that means digging through your pockets or pouch while the person who killed you stands there and waits.~~ What if the elders holds the the coin for the fighters at there respective corners. <-------

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-02-16

Yup I was thinking the same as Garwa. Also, if you gain all the coins of the person you kill, the last people out have a huge advantage. Of course if you keep your coins, the last people out have a huge disadvantage LOL.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Martin of BAMC
Knight of the Realm

I am sorry I wasn't clear about that in my initial post. You only give your killer your starting coin. The coins you collect from the people you kill is your score.

Rather than coins, maybe I'll punch a hole through the cards and put them on a length of twine?
One thing that was brought up that I don't know how to address yet is that people at the end of the order haver a disadvantage because there are less people for them to potentially kill.

Would this be solved by giving everyone two "deaths" (and a new coin/card for their second fight)?
So when you die, you go back to your starting location to be recycled into the fight?

TitusV
Darkonian

Post by TitusV » 2012-02-16

Do a reverse draw. People at the end of the first session go first during the second. Like a snaking draft in fantasy football

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-16

Reverse draw, 2 rounds, problem solved.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Sir Martin of BAMC
Knight of the Realm

That makes sense, and it's simple. The only minor thing about a reverse draw that's a potential issue is that then the order if the second round is a known quantity, which gives people more of a chance to collude. I'd rather do multiple rounds (2/3/5 ?) and let the gate elders send people out more our less at random.

That way you don't get to hang out while you're waiting your turn and compare numbers with the other fighters who are also waiting.
Or an I way over-thinking this?

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-02-16

Just use the card numbers for seeding. It's random. If going last is a disadvantage, so be it. Multiple rounds evens it out, since you'll have to give out new cards anyway.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

sounds very cool lemme know if you need any help planning/running/etc

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-02-16

Hmm, if this were the IC forum, I might mention how bad you're going to be sucking wind after our Tourney Fight that day and that you should take Fingers up on his offer (if he's there).

But since it's OOC, I might just point out that your attention will be elsewhere for a good half hour or so for some ridiculously awesome Noble Tourney fighting. (yours & mine, plus the others)

And that one of us should try to win the Coliseum, just to prove that we are badass enough to win in the ring and in the coliseum.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Sir Martin of BAMC
Knight of the Realm

Just so you know, I am about 3 weeks into my grueling training regimen of no smoking in preparation for our fight. I've also added many reps of 12oz curls.

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-02-16

I just got my new white sword last night. I'll be doing curls of my slain enemies for a workout. Or my baby.

But regarding the Coliseum thing...make it the responsibility of the dead to attribute their coin to the right person at the end of the fight. That way active combatants aren't slowed down by the rules of the match.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Sir Martin of BAMC
Knight of the Realm

Maybe ditch the coins altogether in favor of a "hades elder" with a list? Check in with the hades elder when you die and tell them who killed you. They put a check next to the person's name?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

tthat would work too.

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-02-16

How feasible would it be to make a bunch of velcro armbands each player wears on their arm, or weaponshaft. If you die you rip off your patch and throw it on the ground at your slayer. When a person dies, they throw their patch on the ground and pick up all the ones from their victims as they leave the ring. Like the things they use in flag football...

You could even make 4 different colored patches to represent the 4 suits originally planned on..
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

solitaire
Darkonian

Post by solitaire » 2012-02-17

I really like this idea. In addition to spicing up our sometime monotonous day events it'll give Darkon another reason to spread the coin around through betting.I feel like we need more reasons to spend at day events and this is a cool one
Corporal of the Bloody Axe Mercenary Company
Wearer of the Most Annoying Garb in the Land