2013 Schedule

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
President

2013 Schedule

Post by President » 2013-01-19

The Board of Directors will be meeting this Tuesday the 22nd to finalize trhe schedule for the remainder of the year. Should be posted by the end of the week.

Andrick

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: 2013 Schedule

Post by Inox » 2013-01-21

Fewer adventure days that are really just battle days, please. Let's keep those to pre-adventures & campouts. :D
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-21

and MAYBE one or two for non campout related adventures here and there. :)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-01-22

Schedule is up.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-01-23

Looks pretty solid to me. One question though, was the month long break between pre-BeAe II and BeAe II intentional?
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-23

Yeah, that is weird. If you were gonna make a long break, wouldn't it make sense to do it during Ragnarok to get the 30+ or so of us who go to that event to be there? Just curious...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lady Ether

Post by Lady Ether » 2013-01-23

What's up with the schedule? According to the BAII website it's supposed to be 8/15-8/18, but the schedule says 8/25?? Also - Is October right? 10/6, 10/12 (a saturday), 10/20? Three weeks in a row?
Countess Ether Angelline of Elidor
Mistress of the Stag

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-23

3 weeks in a row is retarded... I hope that's an error.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

Post by Havoc » 2013-01-23

The pre BA2 gap is intentional as we did not want 3 weekends back to back, including a 4 day campout.

There is a formatting issue and I've forwarded it to Andrick should be resolved today.

Xynn of Ched Nasad

Post by Xynn of Ched Nasad » 2013-01-23

make an event for the aug 11....

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-23

None of this makes any sense.

In addition to other weird things people have mentioned, October 12th is a Saturday.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Xynn of Ched Nasad

Post by Xynn of Ched Nasad » 2013-01-23

EB gone cray cray!

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-01-23

It is a simple formatting issue with the document I sent to John to be posted on the web. Should be fixed by the end of the day.
High Priest of Thor
Field Marshal
President 2013

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

Post by Havoc » 2013-01-23

Edit: Thanks Andrick.

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-01-23

Schedule is fixed.
High Priest of Thor
Field Marshal
President 2013

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-24

"fixed" is of course open for interpretation... No October campout? The only one with good weather every year... Awesome. So literally 6 months without a campout from Sept 2013-March 2014? That's awesome... We crammed 4 camping events from May to September (Ragnarok happens in there for about 30-40 Darkonians, not that it SHOULD matter, but logistically, ignoring the biggest foam fighting event in the USA seems stupid when you KNOW people only have a little money anyway)... One campout a month from July through Sept? Who did this? This pretty much guarantees low attendance to all but the March and maybe May campouts... In my humble opinion of course.

My thoughts:

-ACS in April, not July or whatever...
-wtf is a "Pre-BAII"?
-Pre Adventures only possible adventure days for most of the year? They usually suck, how bout some summer Elder's Choice or dedicated Adventure days?
-ticks are worse now then ever before, so cold weather campouts are better for that
-fighting makes you hot, so cold/cooler weather campouts are good for that
-camp fires are fun, July sucks dick for fires
-taking time off every other Sunday is manageable for most grown ups, taking a whole weekend off 3 or 4 months in a row for a campout, if you have kids, weekend work, a wife, etc... whatever, good luck.

I have been part of MANY conversations over the last few years at stupidly hot July and August campouts about a Summer Break for campouts making WAY more sense... Is this scheduling thing a comittee, or do you have to be on a board to decide this? I'd be willing to help.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-24

Is this scheduling thing a comittee, or do you have to be on a board to decide this? I'd be willing to help.

I think Havoc threw some stuff on a dart board, and Andrick threw some darts =P. This SHOULD be something the Event Marshall has some input on, however Im not even sure what the position really entails. I mean I have been head event marshall for the past 2 years (a position that doesnt exist in the rulebook btw), and almost never consulted for any "event" stuff. /shrug.

I have to agree, the August 25th and April 7th events should swap. Do ACS in August when it is 100 degrees so people can leave their armor at home. April is usually perfect fighting weather, and time to bring out the armor.

I had the same question about what Pre BA2 is. Will there be practice for the events going on during BA2, or is this just a fancy name for Two Teams?

I gotta agree about October camping as well. 10x better than camping in July in MD. Do we have a limit on Reunion this year?

Question about pre Adventures being marked with an asterisk. Are these going to be adventure rules all day, no matter if there is an adventure in effect or if it is two teams? What if there is no pre adventure, is it still adventure rules? I ask because in the past, only the adventure part used adventure rules, and with the lack f adventure rule days (0 after Feb) compared to last year, I was curious.

If they are just adventure rules all day, this is fine as they are spread out.

Lastly, I would like to request the November 17th battle in Patuxant (Elder's Choice) to be my annual House of Cards battle. Patuxen works the best for this battle, and Novembe should be a hell of a lot cooler than July was.

Wrynn

Post by Wrynn » 2013-01-24

I pretty much agree with Thrush. Why would we have a July campout and not an October campout?

Also, seconding the WTF is pre-BA, and why is there a three week gap in between "pre-BA2" and BA2? With another battle the subsequent week?

Also, why is BA now 4 days? Do we really expect to get the population for a 4 day event the second year in? Do these dates conflict with Aratari or Taurendor campouts/events? Seeing as how most of the additional population is going to be pulled from those two regions.

Edit: Aratari has their Althyng campout the very next weekend after BA.
Last edited by Wrynn on 2013-01-24, edited 1 time in total.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Just so people don't think I don't put any thought into these things. I know Patuxant takes booking a year in advance, I know Oregon Ridge takes booking in advance... My suggested changes (in red)to help with weather and making a break in campouts over the hottest part of the summer and other such things... Isn't perfect. But it's simple and would help a bit... I think?

December 30, 2012 Burtonsville Elders Choice *
January 13 Redland Elders Choice Woods Battle *
January 27 Oregon Ridge Elders Choice *
February 10 Valleycrest Park/Holmes Run Stream Park Elders Choice
February 24 Burtonsville Elders Choice *
March 10 Redland PreAdventure*
March 22-24 Patuxent River Park/Jug Bat Natural Area Campout *
April 7 Burtonsville 2 teams
April 21 Oregon Ridge Spring Tourney
May 5 Patuxent River Park/Jug Bat Natural Area Pre Adventure *
May 17-19 Reunion Farm Campout *
June 2 Redland Elders Choice
June 16 Oregon Ridge Bizzaro
(June 22-30 Ragnarok 28)
June 30 Burtonsville Pre-Adventure*
July 14 DAY EVENT?????????
July 28 Redland Pre-BA2
August 15-18 Patuxent River Park/Jug Bat Natural Area Bellum Arternus 2*
(so August 23rd-25th is Aratari's Althyng Campout at Patuxant River Park, Bellum Aeternus draws heavier from this game than any other, is it wise to make this a 4 day event when your biggest ADDITIONAL attendance draw has "their own" event the following week at the same park? I think you will see them treat it as a day event like last year rather than come camp for 4 days a week before their biggest local camping event. Just trying to ad perspective for who may or may not show up to a proposed 4 day event that drew 400ish fighters to it's first NEW AND SHINY day... I'm not trying to be negative about this, just not getting the desire to make it 4 days rather than say, a normal campout)
August 25 Oregon Ridge ACS
September 8 Burtonsville Pre-Adventure*
September 20-22 Reunion Farm Campout*
October 6 Patuxent River Park/Jug Bat Natural Area Fall Tourney
October 18-20 Reunion Farm Campout*
November 3 Valleycrest Park/Holmes Run Stream Park 2 Teams
November 17 Patuxent River Park/Jug Bat Natural Area Elders Choice
December 1 Oregon Ridge Ice Breaker
December 15 Burtonsville Country Battle
December 29 Redland Elders Choice

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Wrynn

Post by Wrynn » 2013-01-24

Thrush and I have been discussing back and forth regarding Bellum, and I personally disagree with his idea to make it like a "normal" campout.

I do think trying to make it happen over 4 days is not a wise move. And while he pushes for a normal campout schedule (Fri-Sun), I disagree, and think it should just be Sat & Sun.

Last year, BA was a new and special thing. This year, not so much. I understand the goal to try and expand the event, I really do, however, until the event has a few years under its belt, and has regular cross-gamers taking time out of their schedules, making plans to show up for it, I think it is unreasonable to expect the same level of participation this year as we saw last year. Besides the fact that it is no longer "new" to people, holding the event in the summer (not that I am opposed to that, but read on) means that you are going to have to compete with every other games events or campouts as well as people on vacation. Consider the Aratari, who have their big campout the very next weekend. While BA might hold some appeal, it is likely they already commit a portion of their schedule (since Althyng seems to happen roughly the same time every year) to this event. Attending a different campout, with different rules, with different people the weekend prior is not going to be as appealing. Additionally, they might not have the time or money to spare to attend this.

In short, you want it to be big, I get that, but trying to make it big in year 2 could just as easily kill the event.

My PERSONAL thoughts on how to structure the event:

Exactly the same as last year, but on Saturday. Let people camp the night after if they want, but everything structured around Saturday. That's it. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Don't try and bring it up to national or semi-national levels so quickly. I really enjoyed BA last year, and hope that it will be around for years to come.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-24

I could be wrong, but I believe his suggestion of "normal campout" meant Fri, Sat and Sunday, not making it just a normal campout adventure.

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-01-24

i approve of this message of thrush's.....
is there a way that senate can refuse to accept this schedule.
and i think the no campout in Oct if for the renfare crowd.... am i wrong?
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Warlordcort wrote:and i think the no campout in Oct if for the renfare crowd.... am i wrong?

Yes, true, didnt hurt the quality of the last campout, most of those willing to skip Darkon for ONE weekend of fair are not very important to the active participation. Chosen blood are the only heavy combat unit I know of who go to fair religiously over Darkon, and they don't really, as they don't do campouts...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Kai Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Kai Firebrand » 2013-01-24

BA II is including an adventure portion happening Thursday and Friday this year. What you all enjoyed last year on a Sunday will be happening on Saturday this year, The large battles ( Battle day rules for these ). Merchants will be there throughout the weekend as well as performances and shows in the evenings. Night fighting will be happening each night with our awesome lights. Pit fights will be enhanced and will be happening Friday night. With the location of the site being close to home, we will be having some early fights for those on Sunday who would like to conclude with some additional combat before packing up and heading home, we will not have to leave the site until the evening on Sunday.

This event is a huge fighting event for everyone in the Maryland DC area, however that is not all it is. This event includes performers ( possibly major performers this year ), merchant powerhouse, and large social event. A lot of the input from people who love fighting was great and they loved the amount of fighting that was included ( there will be more fighting this year guys, be prepped ). However we also invited many people who were more interested in the non-combat portion of the event and had said while they loved the events that happened they wished there was more to do.

Last year we had issues including everything into a single day event with camping already and this year it would not be possible. We are not forcing you to come on Thursday. There will be a schedule of events posted before the event; come when you feel you will enjoy the event the most. Saturday will in fact be the huge day, however there will be a ton of things you might want to be included in during the others.

As for the dates, Gerard got to Pax 90minutes before they opened on sign up day and these were the only dates we could get that were reasonable. We wanted dates in September however they were already soaked up by other organizations. It would be nice to find another site for upcoming years.

This is just a little information for upcoming BA II, we still have a lot to plan and work with. We will keep you guys posted here and on facebook.
Master Kai Mortisius Firebrand (KMF)
SwordSlinger of No Quarter!
Knight of Tuesday
Warriors Guild Member
Knight of the Realm
Order of the Sword (OS)
Order of the Griffon (OG)
Spring Tournament '12 Grand Champion

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-01-24

I'm about to Riot if we don't get an October Campout.